TT 2023

0bserver

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

That's not a sustainable way to run a business is it?

It worked for around 40 years. It was more effective at the start when we had tourism year-round, but yeah it seems it was sustainable.

Just now, Happier diner said:

That's not a sustainable way to run a business is it?

It obviously is, the alternative is that they don't run the business at all, and the island suffers as all those places to go disappear completely as they are unsustainable!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

One restaurant owner, now multiply that to take in hotel owners, all cafes and restaurants, bars, shops etc etc, must be a lot of big holidays being paid for? That restaurant owner wouldn't go on holiday then, if no TT? 

My point was that it was only a marginal benefit and bloody hard work. 

• Like 1

Just now, Max Power said:

It obviously is, the alternative is that they don't run the business at all, and the island suffers as all those places to go disappear completely as they are unsustainable!

It your business is at such a critical point of being viable you are doomed anyway. Yes sure, there might be one or two for which it makes a difference  but for good businesses this is not the case. You make it sound like all the hotels and restaurants would go out of  business without TT and I am afraid that is nonsense.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

It your business is at such a critical point of being viable you are doomed anyway. Yes sure, there might be one or two for which it makes a difference  but for good businesses this is not the case. You make it sound like all the hotels and restaurants would go out of  business without TT and I am afraid that is nonsense.

Not necessarily disappear, but certainly scale back on staffing numbers and probably hike prices. At least in the cases of those I'm familiar with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's a bit more like it. @Max Poweris over egging it somewhat. 

No I'm not, there has to be a level where it becomes pointless running your own business, you may be solvent but the boost you get with peak times make it worthwhile. Without those peaks, you may as well work for someone else shuffling paper!

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

No I'm not, there has to be a level where it becomes pointless running your own business, you may be solvent but the boost you get with peak times make it worthwhile. Without those peaks, you may as well work for someone else shuffling paper!

I meant you are over egging the number that fall into that category. I agree that there might be some, but I dont think it's as many as you are making out. Many businesses suffer during TT as their business disappears for 2 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I meant you are over egging the number that fall into that category. I agree that there might be some, but I dont think it's as many as you are making out. Many businesses suffer during TT as their business disappears for 2 weeks. 

Genuine question, which businesses? We used to say that the motor trade suffered during the TT but that simply wasn't the case. We tried to reduce bookings and appointments by discouraging locals as some staff took holidays, but these filled up with visitors anyway.

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Genuine question, which businesses? We used to say that the motor trade suffered during the TT but that simply wasn't the case. We tried to reduce bookings and appointments by discouraging locals as some staff took holidays, but these filled up with visitors anyway.

Electricians, plumbers, plasterers, ground workers as examples. Not all but some. Some builders stop for the duration. Many ground workers are laid off for 2 weeks as they can't work on the roads. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HeliX said:

A couple of small business owners I know used the TT period, and to a lesser extent MGP, to prop up their business the rest of the year.

I doubt that happens now though. Several people told us that this year's holiday was taken care of in 2019. The big difference is that they used to come over with a large holiday fund. Thanks to increasing costs across the board, this is no longer the case.

35 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That’s very true. Unless the flexibility in working hours works for you below a certain point there is no point in putting up with all the stress risk and hassle of running your own business if you’re only taking home what you could get for working for someone else instead. 

• Like 1