TT 2023

0bserver

52 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It is the way most American businesses work. Black Friday being the day the company's balance sheets finally go in the black! 

It's only been used in that sense since the early '80s. Before that it was used by US police to describe very heavy traffic (motor and pedestrian) at the start of the christmas shopping season (along with Black Saturday)

If the other 50 weeks of the year set the baseline for the amount of hotel/accommodation/beds the island can support, then base TT around that. 

It's mad to try and sustain a massively high level of beds just for 2 weeks of the year and then have to come up with ideas to try and fill them for the rest of the year. 

Almost like Longtail buying a ton of minibuses and having no use for them... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Electricians, plumbers, plasterers, ground workers as examples. Not all but some. Some builders stop for the duration. Many ground workers are laid off for 2 weeks as they can't work on the roads. 

Our retail business did bugger all during the TT. I was quite glad a few of the staff took their holidays then as it was difficult finding work for them do. Tidy up the warehouse, paint some walls, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Retail is massively effected during the TT/ MGP 

B&Q for example is dead on race days and it is normally busy all week.

There are lots of other sectors that are hit with the TT  death fest 2022

Construction - Shut down 100%

Retail - 50%* shut down    * guestimate based on what I have seen in big sheds car parks like Pets at Home - The car part place up there too.

Hospital - 100% shutdown of normal operations and planned procedures.

Walking/ Cycling type holidays - 100% shut down

Train spotting 100% shutdown

I have said before but as Construction is one of the big industrys on the island, 2 weeks of zero input to GDP from that sector alone will mean they have to sell millions of burgers to make it back and that does not even take account of the "Cash" nature of a lot of these TT "businesses"

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Retail - 50%* shut down    * guestimate based on what I have seen in big sheds car parks like Pets at Home - The car part place up there too.

Weird of all the dogs and cats not to eat for 2 weeks.

26 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

At the beginning of what? Time? This thread? Forums?

If you don't like people giving their views why don't you just go away and come back when you have something constructive to say.

LEGO

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Retail is massively effected during the TT/ MGP 

B&Q for example is dead on race days and it is normally busy all week.

There are lots of other sectors that are hit with the TT  death fest 2022

Construction - Shut down 100%

Hospital - 100% shutdown of normal operations and planned procedures.

Walking/ Cycling type holidays - 100% shut down

Train spotting 100% shutdown

I have said before but as Construction is one of the big industrys on the island, 2 weeks of zero input to GDP from that sector alone will mean they have to sell millions of burgers to make it back and that does not even take account of the "Cash" nature of a lot of these TT "businesses"

Having a total shutdown in the building industry, and other sectors, is not having the adverse effect you'd like to believe Boris. Those two weeks of inactivity are part of their holiday entitlement. It, like Christmas and New Year (maybe they should be banned too?) prevents huge inefficiencies when part of the staff are on holiday at irregular times.   

If you have to open a business with all of the costs involved, you need to maximise the time spent at the job, this isn't possible when people are sporadically absent. A total shutdown is far more efficient as other costs are eliminated also!

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are being silly now. 

I don't think it's me being silly, I think it's BJ. Come on now, Pets at Home attendance anecdotally down 50% in TT week based on the observations of a loon who apparently goes around assessing shop busy-ness throughout TT week?

• Haha 1