TT 2023

0bserver

Just now, Max Power said:

That works both ways, as you well know!

Agreed, but the government's own figures are generally assembled by TT supporters. I do wonder whether it really does benefit the overall economy (probably does); I'm sure (guesswork) it's actually a drain on government finances. With the road closures it's a PITA at times when you live inside the course / use the mountain road, not as bad when random roads are closed for rallies, stuff like that.

40 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Agreed, but the government's own figures are generally assembled by TT supporters. I do wonder whether it really does benefit the overall economy (probably does); I'm sure (guesswork) it's actually a drain on government finances. With the road closures it's a PITA at times when you live inside the course / use the mountain road, not as bad when random roads are closed for rallies, stuff like that.

I know a number of people who live here and either are employed and paying tax or who have businesses based here that generate income for the island.  In each case they first visited the island for the TT and would have never set foot here if it weren’t for the event.

The benefits to the economy go far beyond what is spent during the fortnight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

According to this the Government get £4.8million back.

https://www.gov.im/media/1367047/tt-visitor-survey-2019.pdf

55 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Lots of cost's regarding the TT are lost, the repairs on the Mountain road during the last 3 weeks will come out of the DOI maintenace budget therefore will not be included in the TT overheads. DOI staff employed on the On-way system isn't free of charge, nor the 4 sweepers and back-up vehicles with drivers are not free of charge, the stand-by crews to mop up after every RTA are not free of charge. Are these cost's all included in the overall cost of the TT? me thinks not and that does not include Police/Medics etc I think if you done an accurate audit and take all into consideration you may find that "the greatest show on earth" in fact cost's the earth. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Lots of cost's regarding the TT are lost, the repairs on the Mountain road during the last 3 weeks will come out of the DOI maintenace budget therefore will not be included in the TT overheads. DOI staff employed on the On-way system isn't free of charge, nor the 4 sweepers and back-up vehicles with drivers are not free of charge, the stand-by crews to mop up after every RTA are not free of charge. Are these cost's all included in the overall cost of the TT? me thinks not and that does not include Police/Medics etc I think if you done an accurate audit and take all into consideration you may find that "the greatest show on earth" in fact cost's the earth. 

And there's the umbuggeration of road access, Nobles access etc. during TT and practices. No price can be put on this.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

A lot of financial benefits to the island will also be lost.  It’s impossible to give an accurate answer but evidence seems weighted towards there being an overall financial benefit

18 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

A lot of the costs such as the one way system back ups etc are easily charged to the event. A lot of people and equipment are being paid for anyway, it's just a reallocation of the costs between departments, wooden dollars really. 

The roads are three of the busiest routes on the island throughout the year, perhaps there should be a recharge for the damage caused by cars, buses and trucks to the course? 

I think you overestimate the costs and don't give credit for what the events return, not only in terms of cash.  

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yes they do. We all pay taxes to support it and some get nothing in return. Unless you think taxes would be higher without it I suppose. 

my taxes pay for schools and i haven't got any kids going to them so i'm getting nothing in return , what's your point.

• Thanks 1