TT 2023

0bserver

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

A lot of the costs such as the one way system back ups etc are easily charged to the event. A lot of people and equipment are being paid for anyway, it's just a reallocation of the costs between departments, wooden dollars really. 

The roads are three of the busiest routes on the island throughout the year, perhaps there should be a recharge for the damage caused by cars, buses and trucks to the course? 

I think you overestimate the costs and don't give credit for what the events return, not only in terms of cash.  

There already is a recharge it is called road tax or whatever they call it now and it has just went up 10% allegedly. The DOI staff are paid at time and a half and double time so are not getting paid for as normal.

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

A lot of financial benefits to the island will also be lost.  It’s impossible to give an accurate answer but evidence seems weighted towards there being an overall financial benefit

Only if you are a fan or supporter we do not have a clue how much we make or lose it is the usual IOM government bullshit that say's they make a profit! what proof have they given that show's a profit.

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

A lot of financial benefits to the island will also be lost.  It’s impossible to give an accurate answer but evidence seems weighted towards there being an overall financial benefit

There may well be a financial benefit but to whom! does the cash spent, leave the Island with the visiting vendors etc?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Why , it’s got nothing to do with you! We’ve got enough whiners here with you , Blade runner & Flint giving us their advice on how to do things, typical WhenIs

Based on the current sorry state of the rock you who have not yet left need all the help you can get.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20230509-173802_Facebook.jpg

And?

Its always been more for a van.  You have to declare it and book through the freight office if it doesn’t have back side windows and/or is sign written.

Once booked as a van you can sign a doc to confirm the trip is for personal use and you get charged as a high car.  If you don’t you get charged as a commercial vehicle.

Its been the same for decades and all the info is on their website or if you phone them.

The post you have quoted is user error.  Nothing more and nothing less.

6 minutes ago, Ativa said:

And?

Its always been more for a van.  You have to declare it and book through the freight office if it doesn’t have back side windows and/or is sign written.

Once booked as a van you can sign a doc to confirm the trip is for personal use and you get charged as a high car.  If you don’t you get charged as a commercial vehicle.

Its been the same for decades and all the info is on their website or if you phone them.

The post you have quoted is user error.  Nothing more and nothing less.

So why does the user claim that he has done the same trip many times without having to pay the fee quoted on this occasion? Surely if so, he would be familiar with the process?

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So why does the user claim that he has done the same trip many times without having to pay the fee quoted on this occasion? Surely if so, he would be familiar with the process?

He has blagged it and got away with it.

If it’s a busy sailing they don’t always check the paperwork.

He booked a van as a large car, what did he expect?

Vans are booked via email or phone call to the fright office and always have been for as long as I have been taking them on and off island, so about 1994 and earlier.

User error.

https://www.steam-packet.com/Vehicles

Edited by Ativa

7 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Vans are booked via email or phone call to the fright office and always have been for as long as I have been taking them on and off island, so about 1994 and earlier.

User error.

the fright office .................................  fantastic Freudian slip based on those prices.

8 minutes ago, Ativa said:

User error.

That's a very sweeping assessment. I've taken vans on the boat many times myself, I'm also well aware of the rear windows regulations. I'm also well aware of just how subjective the Steamie's assessment of the "van" regulations can be on occasions.

I would suggest that they are upping their "stringencies" with the approach of TT week and an "extra £750" as quoted on the article is them taking the piss for the period.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That's a very sweeping assessment. I've taken vans on the boat many times myself, I'm also well aware of the rear windows regulations. I'm also well aware of just how subjective the Steamie's assessment of the "van" regulations can be on occasions.

I would suggest that they are upping their "stringencies" with the approach of TT week and an "extra £750" as quoted on the article is them taking the piss for the period.

Nah.  Just enforcing the rules that have always been there.

If people chose to try it on then they shouldn’t be surprised if they get caught out.

Its not like it’s a difficult process to just phone and make the booking and fill the form in.