TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

That's a very sweeping assessment. I've taken vans on the boat many times myself, I'm also well aware of the rear windows regulations. I'm also well aware of just how subjective the Steamie's assessment of the "van" regulations can be on occasions.

I would suggest that they are upping their "stringencies" with the approach of TT week and an "extra £750" as quoted on the article is them taking the piss for the period.

If he’s got any sense he’d just bring his car & get a b&b with the £750 he’s saved 

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

And?

Its always been more for a van.  You have to declare it and book through the freight office if it doesn’t have back side windows and/or is sign written.

Once booked as a van you can sign a doc to confirm the trip is for personal use and you get charged as a high car.  If you don’t you get charged as a commercial vehicle.

Its been the same for decades and all the info is on their website or if you phone them.

The post you have quoted is user error.  Nothing more and nothing less.

I would say the more pertinent question is why? This guy was travelling for personal pleasure in a vehicle no bigger than a car - why do they need to pull his pants down? It makes no difference to them whether he's in a Vito van or a Vito people carrier, why be opportunistic about it?

I know a guy who a few years ago bought a car across and wanted to go over and pick it up. He found by far the cheapest way of doing this was to book it as a car return which he did (despite not wanting to take a vehicle outbound). He turned up for the boat in the morning and when they found he was a foot passenger, they marched him to the booking office as if he were a criminal and made him pay the difference (Christ alone what there was any) before letting him on the boat.

I get that you're technically correct with the van thing, I'm sure there's some other bollocks they would come up with to justify the one way car thing, but other than them being a money grabbing bunch of chancers, there's not the slightest reason for either. It's not as if either of the original fares were particularly cheap!

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So why does the user claim that he has done the same trip many times without having to pay the fee quoted on this occasion? Surely if so, he would be familiar with the process?

I know someone who regularly parks on double yellows. Not had a problem with it until one day they got fined £60. Outrageous, considering they’d parked in the same place many times without having to pay. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I know someone who regularly parks on double yellows. Not had a problem with it until one day they got fined £60. Outrageous, considering they’d parked in the same place many times without having to pay. 

Did the cops/wardens walk past every day he was there before and let him off?

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Did the cops/wardens walk past every day he was there before and let him off?

Possibly.  Parking enforcement certainly seems inconsistent.  But that's the point really - just because it's possible to get away with things, often repeatedly, it doesn't mean it becomes the de facto standard such that it is a surprise when one does get caught out.  Whether that's parking, speeding, not having your car taxed, booking the wrong fare for a van, etc.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, wrighty said:

But that's the point really - just because it's possible to get away with things, often repeatedly, it doesn't mean it becomes the de facto standard such that it is a surprise when one does get caught out.  Whether that's parking, speeding, not having your car taxed, booking the wrong fare for a van, etc.

Or holding road racing on the TT course. 

He wasn't 

8 hours ago, HiVibes said:

seems to be hinting at something.

He wasn't hinting at anything. He was making it completely clear that riders and supporters need to arrange health insurance before they come here.

It's exactly the same advice given to us should we wish to travel the UK,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He wasn't hinting at anything. He was making it completely clear that riders and supporters need to arrange health insurance before they come here.

It's exactly the same advice given to us should we wish to travel the UK,

Get away with you, with your facts and reasoned responses - we’ll have none of that here!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Get away with you, with your facts and reasoned responses - we’ll have none of that here!

we have a reciprocal  health serve agreement with the UK   but does not include repatriation back to the Isle of man  same applies with visitors to our island ,  unless they come from the EU or beyond , I could  never understand why Nobles A and E  didn't have a debit/credit card reader when booking patients in ,  and those non residents who had to pay  the money came out of their account , this is what happens in other countries  ,obviously  there was discretion   in a serious emergency , where arrangements regarding who pays   could be made later