TT 2023

0bserver

27 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I did, I moved off the rock.

I am not you either, but you sound a bit weird, if you enjoy the deaths and gore of every minute. 

That you did not say you don't enjoy the deaths says a lot.

Is it all part of the burger selling experience?

Thank goodness you’re gone so do us all a favour & stop commenting on local news!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Genuine couple of questions for  you ATVIA.

• 1) How many deaths in this years TT would it take for you to be put off supporting the TT?
  • 2) Have you ever witnessed a high speed crash at the TT/ on open roads that results in the death of a person?*
  • 3) Have you ever witnessed a high speed crash at the TT/ on open roads that involves a decapitation?*

* Properly witnessed, as in, actually seen the crash first hand and seen a human body being destroyed close up?

1.  I have never thought about it.  Individual accidents involving competitors are just that.  They know what they are doing so I those don’t really upset me.

Spectators also know what they are doing and manage their own risk.

I suppose something that killed 10 plus people in one single incident might make me think, but we have to remember everyone of them would be there through choice.

2 yes

3 No thankfully; but I have seen limbs removed and other life changing injuries more than once.

Why?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ativa said:

1.  I have never thought about it.  Individual accidents involving competitors are just that.  They know what they are doing so I those don’t really upset me.

Spectators also know what they are doing and manage their own risk.

I suppose something that killed 10 plus people in one single incident might make me think, but we have to remember everyone of them would be there through choice.

2 yes

3 No thankfully; but I have seen limbs removed and other life changing injuries more than once.

Why?

This is what bothers me about the TT. Especially after last year. “They know what they are doing / getting themselves into / died doing what they loved etc etc etc. But what about the home owner on Quarterbridge Road who had someone’s head in her garden. Or those who witnessed it, or those who had to pick bits out of the wall, or those who had to wash the blood off the pavement. Will they ever forget their experience? 

• Confused 1

Growing up I loved the TT , still do really , but now moved on and so appreciate the atmosphere and the great biker fraternity . In the main there really nice friendly people and love this time of year. However due to epelipsy as a young teen I never wished to have a bike , or car really , and so many of my friends did. I watched as one by one they smashed themselves up doing what they loved. So even in later years when clear to drive and ride a bike there’s no way I would ever get on one. However as said above , there gladiators and just a different breed to do what they do. Massive respect for them all doing what they love. Yes it’s incredibly dangerous but it will be a sad day if it ever is stopped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

This is what bothers me about the TT. Especially after last year. “They know what they are doing / getting themselves into / died doing what they loved etc etc etc. But what about the home owner on Quarterbridge Road who had someone’s head in her garden. Or those who witnessed it, or those who had to pick bits out of the wall, or those who had to wash the blood off the pavement. Will they ever forget their experience? 

They all put themselves in a situation where that might happen.  None of them were forced to.

Why is that hard to understand?

If I was particularly upset at the idea of a greyhound being injured I wouldn’t go to a greyhound track or buy a house by one.

Its exactly the same

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Genuine couple of questions for  you ATVIA.

• 1) How many deaths in this years TT would it take for you to be put off supporting the TT?
  • 2) Have you ever witnessed a high speed crash at the TT/ on open roads that results in the death of a person?*
  • 3) Have you ever witnessed a high speed crash at the TT/ on open roads that involves a decapitation?*

* Properly witnessed, as in, actually seen the crash first hand and seen a human body being destroyed close up?

The so-called Marshals should all have to watch at least 10 incidents with loss of limbs etc. to make sure they have the composure for the role. 

So many of them can just shit the bed and run around like a headless chicken when something happens.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ativa said:

They all put themselves in a situation where that might happen.  None of them were forced to.

Why is that hard to understand?

If I was particularly upset at the idea of a greyhound being injured I wouldn’t go to a greyhound track or buy a house by one.

Its exactly the same

It’s exactly the same 

Course it is. 

23 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Awful isn't it?

I realise that people don't watch the racing to see these things, but only an idiot would watch or marshal etc at a TT race and not weigh up the possibility that something could happen. Particularly in fast areas where accidents have happened in the past on several occasions. There's been enough publicity about the dangers of the racing so perhaps even spectators are playing the 'couldn't happen to me' game, or are thrilled by the danger and the chance of something going wrong? No point in moaning about it afterwards really!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

You’re comparing greyhounds with real people ? You’re a nutter 

Nope.

i am Comparing people putting themselves in a situation they might not like, with people putting themselves in a situation they might not like.

Take a step back and read it again.

34 minutes ago, Dr Beeching said:

The so-called Marshals should all have to watch at least 10 incidents with loss of limbs etc. to make sure they have the composure for the role. 

So many of them can just shit the bed and run around like a headless chicken when something happens.

Look, marshals 99% of the time are looking for something loose on the bike, or putting flags out when there’s an issue. After 3 tours in Afghanistan I can attest to no matter how well you prepare, what training you have - when the worst happens you never quite know how you’ll react. But the marshals are a team, led by a DSM, and a CSM and a travelling marshal will attend a serious incident within minutes, plus the helicopter with doctor will Also be there in minutes if required. Yep seen all that at a serious incident. The junior and novice marshals all did what was asked of them, and those of us more experienced dealt with the situation and got the poor fella to hospital via aeromed - where he fully recovered. Great team work, all nicely managed and the marshals were all awesome. #teamwork. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Food for thought?

Safety and equipment standards have never been higher, in helmets and suits and riding clothing technology. Stipulations by the organisers in respect of the above are ever more demanding.

Course organisation and management must be at a level not seen before in its history.

Human medical knowledge must also be at its current peak, in the treatment of injuries and the preservation of life.

And yet the numbers of deaths and serious injuries remains at an almost constant level, we can expect to lose at least 2 competitors per year on average (with some years being noticeably worse), the number who are left with life changing injuries is less obvious but equally present.

With the increased safety requirements and knowledge, that number of casualties and fatalities should surely be falling?

Or are the improvements just keeping the number at bay whilst we pursue the mantra of ever higher speeds and spectacle?