TT 2023

0bserver

46 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Road improvements....there was a time when the course was recognised for being what it was and the riders rode to it. That meant rolling it off for known areas if necessary. Now riders expect to be able to ride flat out everywhere and anywhere not meeting that criteria is expected/has to be immediately addressed, Sulby Straight being the latest example. It's chicken and egg, the faster the riders go, the better they expect/need the course conditions to be. And the better those conditions, the faster they will go.

So we should make things safer but we shouldn’t make the most important thing- the road surface- safer. I’m sure there’s logic in there somewhere.

47 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

is why we can't see any improvement in the fatality and injury rate despite belatedly tinkering with safety matters. But the bottom line is, we are killing 2+ people a year in the name of it, some in horrific conditions that are involving innocent bystanders

If you argue that faster speeds are more dangerous then you also agree that a constant death rate is actually an improvement.

As for bystanders, everybody watching knows the risk. Even the homeowners. The TT was here before them, don’t buy a house on Ago’s Leap if you don’t accept the fact someone might die in your garden.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

So we should make things safer but we shouldn’t make the most important thing- the road surface- safer. I’m sure there’s logic in there somewhere.

If you argue that faster speeds are more dangerous then you also agree that a constant death rate is actually an improvement.

As for bystanders, everybody watching knows the risk. Even the homeowners. The TT was here before them, don’t buy a house on Ago’s Leap if you don’t accept the fact someone might die in your garden.

The issue is that "making it safer" is masking the actual purpose of making it faster. When was the last time that there was a TT course modification or improvement that was likely or effective in slowing lap speeds?

Where am I arguing that a constant death rate is an improvement? I am pointing out that no matter what safety points we try to address or improve, there is no improvement in the death (or life-changing injury) rate. If we do wish to address those points then I'd suggest that we are clearly not looking at the right areas.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The issue is that "making it safer" is masking the actual purpose of making it faster. When was the last time that there was a TT course modification or improvement that was likely or effective in slowing lap speeds?

No, the purpose is making it safer. Wide roads and gentle curves are safer than narrow roads and tight corners. But they’re also faster.

The biggest jumps in lap time in recent times came after the changes at Windy Corner and Brandish, both of which are much safer now than they were before. Previous lap speed jumps came after the mountain was straightened out, widened and walls removed, including at the Verandah in 1971.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Where am I arguing that a constant death rate is an improvement? I am pointing out that no matter what safety points we try to address or improve, there is no improvement in the death (or life-changing injury) rate.

You say that 136mph laps are more dangerous than 120mph laps. But there has been no attendant increase in the fatality rate, despite the higher speed. So either it’s safer (otherwise the death rate would be rising in line with speed) or you’re wrong about the speed. Which is it?

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 4

It’s notable that there are more restricted areas and safety improvements in terms of spectators. I agree there will always be a residual risk to riders due to the speeds and nature of a roads circuit, but the low number of spectator ‘incidents’ is testament to increased safety standards. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

when they installed the stop box at the entrance to the pits.

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

How can you say it doesn't make a difference? If safety issues weren't being addressed and adjusted every year, the death rate would be going up in line with the increasing speeds, rather than remaining relatively static. That looks like a big difference to me.

i think if you come off at 120mph or 150mph the survival rates won't be too different, what helps with the increased speed is the increase in vehicle handling, the bikes ability to corner and absorb the bumps and undulations,  if it was just about pure speed you go to santapod.

• Like 1