TT 2023

0bserver

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

THIS.

I have just got home after a weekend on the island and I would like to say the following, which in my way anyway, of looking at safety, which a thing I do for a living, is totally lacking at the TT

I drove over the mountain road on Saturday 20th May and witnessed the new surfaces at Windy Corner and near the Gooseneck

The new surface work looks good, nice and smooth, and at windy, more cambered.

BUT and a big BUT

For all the money in the world I can not understand why there are hundreds of yards of fencing on the North side of the mountain Road when there is a new stock fence 20 yards below?

That to me shows the total lack of Risk Assessment ability of those who run the TT. -

Spend millions on a "Red Flag System" but ignore the elephant in the room - single strand wire about 2 yards from the road......

Its a mile or more of redundant wire fencing that could take a riders head off or maim  that is not needed. 

Its not hard to remove this fencing and just bloody shocking that it has not been removed.

Atvia - please justify why the TT race organisers would leave a decapitating wire along the mountain road when not needed any more?

Steve Christian - DITTO

I really hope this post puts into action the TT people to remove this un necessary deadly risk when they close the road to put out the one way setup next weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

Sometimes, but not always. To paraphrase the (late) great Dr John Hinds, "Mechanism of injury is important in motorcycle crashes, but speed doesn't seem to be."

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Exactly.

You can have pretty much the same crash twice even somewhere with very little to hit, like Windy corner.

160mph and slide down the road.  Probably ok.

120mph but head digs into the gravel,  probably dead.

Sometimes yes. I agree. However human instinct is to slow down when faced with danger. In most cases the more you can do that the better off you will be.  There are exceptions. I remember being coached in downhill MTB. Speed is your friend I was told. Not 100% convinced, but I get the theory. I think!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

THIS.

I have just got home after a weekend on the island and I would like to say the following, which in my way anyway, of looking at safety, which a thing I do for a living, is totally lacking at the TT

I drove over the mountain road on Saturday 20th May and witnessed the new surfaces at Windy Corner and near the Gooseneck

BUT and a big BUT

For all the money in the world I can not understand why there are hundreds of yards of fencing on the North side of the mountain Road when there is a new stock fence 20 yards below?

That to me shows the total lack of Risk Assessment ability of those who run the TT. -

Spend millions on a "Red Flag System" but ignore the elephant in the room - single strand wire about 2 yards from the road......

Its a mile or more of redundant wire fencing that could take a riders head off or maim  that is not needed. 

Its not hard to remove this fencing and just bloody shocking that it has not been removed.

Atvia - please justify why the TT race organisers would leave a decapitating wire along the mountain road when not needed any more?

Steve Christian - DITTO

I really hope this post puts into action the TT people to remove this un necessary deadly risk when they close the road to put out the one way setup next weekend. 

Are you talking about the fence that has been there for years, on the inside as you go up the mountain which has never been an issue and which is where nobody is ever really likely to go off at exactly that height?

There are many, many bigger risks up there.  Highlighting that one kind of shows a total lack of understanding 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Exactly.

You can have pretty much the same crash twice even somewhere with very little to hit, like Windy corner.

160mph and slide down the road.  Probably ok.

120mph but head digs into the gravel,  probably dead.

Very true , at "Casey's" on the mountain hit the curb early and the point of impact was/is the culvert in the gully behind the curb /the remains of the culvert pipe and the rocks in the gully (the gully has now been infilled with large rocks without  a permeable  smooth finish. Hit the curb late and the rider will fly over the former gully and onto the banking .

That said the powers that be have taken the fencing further back so less chance of a rider hitting it and installed a chamfered curb but if the initial point of impact is the rocks in the gully sadly it will IMO ( as history has proved ) result in a third fatality . Just saying

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Are you talking about the fence that has been there for years, on the inside as you go up the mountain which has never been an issue and which is where nobody is ever really likely to go off at exactly that height?

There are many, many bigger risks up there.  Highlighting that one kind of shows a total lack of understanding 

I am going to out you here, even if I get banned.

You must be one of the TT's main gov people to have that sort of ignorance of risk assessment?

Just because it hasn't had a incident does not mean it cant happen - you are a very special person if you think that.

It is such an easy fix. A really easy one.

I could do it over a few days on my own with a small excavator and a small tipper wagon and I am in my late 60s

It shows the total lack of care for riders safety despite the press releases.

Bullshit PR Is all that matters in spite of the truth.

Lip service, its called, and is endemic on your island - see your failing health service.

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

You must be one of the TT's main gov people to have that sort of ignorance of risk assessment?

Just because it hasn't had a incident does not mean it cant happen - you are a very special person if you think that.

I could do it over a few days on my own with a small excavator and a small tipper wagon and I am in my late 60s

Lip service, its called, and is endemic on your island - see your failing health service.

Pointless trying to discuss with one so clueless.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle?

Have you ever been involved in the TT?

Do you always moan on forums for places where you don’t live?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

THIS.

BUT and a big BUT

Steve Christian - DITTO

i might be wrong here , but doesn't the livestock have all the grazing ( such that there is ) up to the fence by the road most of the time and is only restricted to the  fencing further away during race periods similar to farmers elsewhere having no livestock in fields by the course so there is no repeat of horses at ballaugh ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Pointless trying to discuss with one so clueless.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? Yes - At European championship level competitions

Have you ever been involved in the TT? - Yes as a Marshal in my yoof

Do you always moan on forums for places where you don’t live? No - I just dont think the TT is taking safety seriously and is now being promoted by your gov as a money making venture which I find disgusting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Bikes are ridden to their limits. You are showing an ignorance. So if the bike handles better, handles bumps better and can corner better. The rider will go faster. Pushing the limits. When you are near the limit you are nearer to a  mistake causing a crash. If what you say were true there would be fewer crashes each year.

Many of the riders themselves say that they’re closer to the limit on the smaller bikes. Without the power of the big bikes, keeping the momentum up becomes more important, which means taking more aggressive lines through corners. It’s worth noting both solo riders who sadly died were on the slower supersport machines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Haven’t you got a forum in the shithole you now reside to go & post constant drivel?

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

BUT and a big BUT

They're only amateurs, don't be too harsh on them. 

They've all the (taxpayer funded) gear but no idea.