Civil Service Culture..Alf says..

Manx Bean

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Mutual Agreed Resignation Scheme

Mutual Agreed Retirement Scheme - as effectively demonstrated by our esteemed civil service recently. It’s amazing how this scheme was put to good use when you want embarrassing problems to go away. 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Mutual Agreed Retirement Scheme - as effectively demonstrated by our esteemed civil service recently. It’s amazing how this scheme was put to good use when you want embarrassing problems to go away. 

That's right. It should only be used if it's genuinely mutually beneficial.

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes but Mars is a cheap form of redundancy. Real redundancy is more expensive.

You have to do your sums.

Calculate which is more cost effective. The tried and trusted last in first out. Clearing out the dead wood (not exactly narrowing it down) or a combination of the two.

The goalposts keep being moved. At one time they needed between 10k and 20k "economically active" incomers to balance the gov pension deficit. Then it's all sorted with a new scheme. Allegedly.

However I've yet to see a pension scheme that wasn't reliant on increasing the numbers of those paying into the scheme. As the IOM gov is in dire need of reducing their payroll due to overgrading and thus overpaying the time will come when difficult decisions will have to be made around redeploying a lot of staff into the private sector.

Alas not a vote-winner.

Shit happens....

• Thanks 1

A huge number of posts have been created within Govt in recent years, look at Cabinet Office currently for a prime example but there's plenty of others. What nobody on the outside knows is, what is the driver for this and are all these jobs needed or of real value?

I'm aware of at least 2 posts that were vacated under MARS where the incumbents had literally done nothing for years and were happy to admit it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

As the IOM gov is in dire need of reducing their payroll due to overgrading and thus overpaying the time will come when difficult decisions will have to be made around redeploying a lot of staff into the private sector.

Alas not a vote-winner.

Shit happens....

You can’t redeploy a lot of them anyway. A mate of mine interviewed someone who had taken MARS a few years back for a private sector job. Part way through it was clear that he was interviewing someone who had largely done fuck all for years and who also expected around double the market rate purely because of his age and claimed ‘experience’. The market isn’t going to pick up the slack. It’s definitely a vote winner though. Throw as many out the door as possible. Hopefully a lot will have to move back to the UK where it’s cheaper to live. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

Alas not a vote-winner.

Shit happens....

I disagree and I think what Alf is doing now is definitely a vote winner. People have had enough and we all know how corrupt the internal system of government is and how corrupt some individual public servants are. The fact that Alf is now doing something about it will certainly win him and others votes I’d say. I can’t imagine there are that many government workers in the Ayre & Michael area who are going to have a meltdown about Alf turfing out the dead wood. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I disagree and I think what Alf is doing now is definitely a vote winner. People have had enough and we all know how corrupt the internal system of government is and how corrupt some individual public servants are. The fact that Alf is now doing something about it will certainly win him and others votes I’d say. I can’t imagine there are that many government workers in the Ayre & Michael area who are going to have a meltdown about Alf turfing out the dead wood. 

You're right. Alf's main voting fan base will be fellow Conservatives with a small C like him. They will favour smaller government.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You're right. Alf's main voting fan base will be fellow Conservatives with a small C like him. They will favour smaller government.

It’s not really about political colours or an ideological wish for a smaller government though is it? It’s about a system that is corrupt and which is universally acknowledged as corrupt being reformed. As I’ve said above the retirements and the departures so far are clearly liability led and I certainly wouldn’t discount us reading stories a year down the line about ‘former’ senior government people being prosecuted for various things. So the only political agenda he’s pursuing currently is one of liability management. Hopefully he will be encouraged to go wider than this over the next few months though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrGarrison said:

You can’t redeploy a lot of them anyway. A mate of mine interviewed someone who had taken MARS a few years back for a private sector job. Part way through it was clear that he was interviewing someone who had largely done fuck all for years and who also expected around double the market rate purely because of his age and claimed ‘experience’. The market isn’t going to pick up the slack. It’s definitely a vote winner though. Throw as many out the door as possible. Hopefully a lot will have to move back to the UK where it’s cheaper to live. 

Unfortunately, just for starters, they are the biggest political lobby on the island . Yes there are some very good people in the CS/PS. But if they are that good why are they still there?

You can re-deploy them into the private sector all right but whether they can then get gainful employment is another matter entirely. Mainly because they lack the "cultural" basics for want of a better word. Starting with a few frinstances:

The Customer always comes first. You work for them. Not the other way around.

Like pay-rises promotions are not a given. There's no such thing as dead-man's shoes. You will only get promoted if it is thought that you can generate more revenue for the bottom line than in your previous role.

You do not work 9 -> 5. You put the hours in until the task is achieved. And if you don't drag your arse home until midnight or whatever you still expect yourself to be up for the next round bright-eyed and bushy-tailed early doors. Yep - no overs.

There's no such thing as "That'll do..."

Sick leave is not additional holiday.

Training is not additional holiday.

Etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Remember, redundancy is about the post being redundant, not the person.

Yes. That's where is gets complicated. Everyone hails, make them all redundant. It's a process fraught with complications.

As you say you have to lose the role. Then you have to offer anyone who is identified as 'at risk' the opportunity to take alternate roles. There are long consultation periods and it's a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare. At the end there is also the spectre of the possibility of tribunal/unfair dismissal.

MARS? None of this. "Sign here.... here's the dosh......goodbye". Yes it rewards the deadwood but when they are gone they are gone.

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately, just for starters, they are the biggest political lobby on the island . Yes there are some very good people in the CS/PS. But if they are that good why are they still there?

You can re-deploy them into the private sector all right but whether they can then get gainful employment is another matter entirely. Mainly because they lack the "cultural" basics for want of a better word. Starting with a few frinstances:

The Customer always comes first. You work for them. Not the other way around.

Like pay-rises promotions are not a given. There's no such thing as dead-man's shoes. You will only get promoted if it is thought that you can generate more revenue for the bottom line than in your previous role.

You do not work 9 -> 5. You put the hours in until the task is achieved. And if you don't drag your arse home until midnight or whatever you still expect yourself to be up for the next round bright-eyed and bushy-tailed early doors. Yep - no overs.

There's no such thing as "That'll do..."

Sick leave is not additional holiday.

Training is not additional holiday.

Etc...

In my experience the 'cultural basics' can be just as bad in the private sector. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1