Manx alcohol measure reduced from 27.5ml to 25ml

jackwhite

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/reduced-alcohol-measures-to-be-considered-in-tynwald/

News story from a few days ago.

This was approved at Tynwald yesterday.

Personally, even as someone who buys and sells alcohol, I'm disappointed by this news. I understand the whole plethora of reasons that were mooted but still feel customers are being short changed.

Opinions?

Just now, jackwhite said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/reduced-alcohol-measures-to-be-considered-in-tynwald/

News story from a few days ago.

This was approved at Tynwald yesterday.

Personally, even as someone who buys and sells alcohol, I'm disappointed by this news. I understand the whole plethora of reasons that were mooted but still feel customers are being short changed.

Opinions?

28.4ml even - long day. 

I assume as a retailer of Spirits you will reduce the retail price so that the customers are not being shortchanged . I really dont see a downside for the retailer or the customer.  How are they going to fix the measures for forfified wines .  Port , sherry , martini etc .and for desert wines  The last time they moved the measure to 50ml for these in the UK they forgot to do anything here as bars were not allowed to have both imperial and metric measures in the same bar . Hopefully they will do the job properly this time.

Theoretically no one should be short changed cos the duty will adjust. It's up to the landlords to adjust their prices accordingly.

Far more worrying is the apparent support for minimum unit pricing from the likes of Hooperman, despite a recent study partly written by the people who set it up in Scotland admitting it doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

We were. We were still serving an imperial measure, a fifth of a gil.

Apparently it costs loads to get the bigger optics made as only we use them. Have to be stamped by customs after sourced. A friend who works for a supplier said its been a nightmare as they have to buy 500 at a time and of course you dont sell that many .

Edited by Numbnuts

17 minutes ago, emesde said:

I assume as a retailer of Spirits you will reduce the retail price so that the customers are not being shortchanged . I really dont see a downside for the retailer or the customer.  How are they going to fix the measures for forfified wines .  Port , sherry , martini etc .and for desert wines  The last time they moved the measure to 50ml for these in the UK they forgot to do anything here as bars were not allowed to have both imperial and metric measures in the same bar . Hopefully they will do the job properly this time.

I will reduce prices, yes. 

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Theoretically no one should be short changed cos the duty will adjust. It's up to the landlords to adjust their prices accordingly.

Far more worrying is the apparent support for minimum unit pricing from the likes of Hooperman, despite a recent study partly written by the people who set it up in Scotland admitting it doesn't work.

The downside ultimately are as follows:

1. Less per measure for customer. 

2. Don't believe all landlords will adjust prices accordingly.

3. Loss of tradition and uniqueness

Would be interesting to keep a little register of which bars actually adjust pricing to reflect. 

Not sure what's happened to the remaining proposals which were:

Introduce 2/3 pint measure

Introduce 75ml wine measure

Proposing 1/4 pint measure.

I'd have been for these tbh.

Edited by jackwhite

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I will reduce prices, yes. 

The downside ultimately are as follows:

1. Less per measure for customer. 

2. Don't believe all landlords will adjust prices accordingly.

3. Loss of tradition and uniqueness

Would be interesting to keep a little register of which bars actually adjust pricing to reflect. 

Not sure what's happened to the remaining proposals which were:

Introduce 2/3 pint measure

Introduce 75ml wine measure

Proposing 1/4 pint measure.

I'd have been for these tbh.

Any proposals to metric a Pint you're aware of?  If this is the rationale, then surely it should be across the board. 

Just now, The Phantom said:

Any proposals to metric a Pint you're aware of?  If this is the rationale, then surely it should be across the board. 

Why? It’s not metricisation. It’s standardisation. Measures used to be imperial

England 1/6th gill

IoM         1/5th gill

Scotland 1/4th gill

they were standardised at 25, 27.5 and 30ml during metricisation.

We are a very small, limited market using 27.5. Manufacturers have stopped making them at 27.5. So we had to change. It was announced 3 or 4 years ago.

in some places I frequent the optics are gone, and spirits measured in a  little  stainless steel pot , whats wrong with that and the barmaid always measures in front of the customer  same with fortified wines  measured into  a glass , all this talk of optics , I cant think of any bar in Europe I have been in in the last 5 years still uses optics  

we should have kept our  isle of Man  measures , and cant help think whoever is at the back of this   is going to make even more money ,by shortening the amount and charging the same price , maybe its down to the war in Ukraine  and  the price of Vodka  in Russia  , its getting blamed for too much I feel !