Manx alcohol measure reduced from 27.5ml to 25ml

jackwhite

12 hours ago, Beyond Belief said:

Its simple, don't go out, and lets see how quickly they reduce their prices and increase their measures.  Play them at their own game.   

It's actually not simple. 

It was probably best explained by Andy Saunders. A change was always being forced on the industry from IOMG. The choices were reduce to a 25 ml measure or increase to a 35ml measure. By doing the latter prices would have gone up 30% minimum (to reflect the larger pour and associated costs). So most of them went for the 25 ml measure so that there wouldn't be any actual increase to the customer. Whether they adjust prices accordingly we'll see. 

Your 'logic' is flawed. There already isn't enough support for hospitality. Staffing issues means even more problems. What you suggest will put the independents out of business completely. Then you'll be left with the brewery and very few places to go on a night out. Then no doubt people will complain or say it's sad that these places have gone or they have nowhere to go. I've saved money and actually got to the stage of agreeing a let with someone however I'm reconsidering whether to go ahead as it's a gamble given the current lack of support. It will only get worse as we appear to be heading into a recession. If I'm thinking this you can be sure there are other people in the same boat.

Landlords themselves haven't actually done anything wrong (yet). If the price of a drink comes down in relation to the reduced serving then what exactly will they have to be punished about?

On 6/27/2022 at 8:21 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I highly suspect you're confusing advanced technology with the fact that most of our MHKs fathers should have shot their offspring into space.

Or erm, shot them over the back seat of the car/back alley

Edited by AOR

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Says alter, not lower

No one in their right minds is going to lower their prices - they've probably been working on reduced margins for ages

Reduced margins? When pubs are selling bottles of beer at near 4X retail? No sympathy from me! 

They are shooting themselves in the foot! 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Reduced margins? When pubs are selling bottles of beer at near 4X retail? No sympathy from me! 

They are shooting themselves in the foot! 

Many of them will be tied to the brewery in some way & obliged to pay their prices, so in an effort to make some sort of profit they have to sell at high prices compared to retail stores

17 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Many of them will be tied to the brewery in some way & obliged to pay their prices, so in an effort to make some sort of profit they have to sell at high prices compared to retail stores

I knew a tenant landlord in Greewich who was tied to a brewery. He could have got the exact same beers and spirits from the cash and carry 1/2 mile down the road at about a third of the price he had to pay the brewery.