huge rise in steam packet fares and cargo rates

Omobono

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

Yes, fairest was the word I was looking for! 

I guess we can argue it both ways really. As a government subsidy would be fair in one sense... I would prefer user pays so we're not giving money to off-island coach visitors for example (but that's a whole other rabbit hole). 

There's also the question of what level of profit are the IOMSPC planning/hoping to operate at this year, will it he pre-pandemic or are they expecting a loss? 

Personally I would prefer the IOMSPC be allowed to stand alone and 'wash it's face' financially, rather than becoming dependent on government subsidies like Bus Vannin or the railways

It will more than likely have it's neck wrung in a futile bid to stave off the liabilities that are stacking up fast!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Yes, fairest was the word I was looking for! 

I guess we can argue it both ways really. As a government subsidy would be fair in one sense... I would prefer user pays so we're not giving money to off-island coach visitors for example (but that's a whole other rabbit hole). 

There's also the question of what level of profit are the IOMSPC planning/hoping to operate at this year, will it he pre-pandemic or are they expecting a loss? 

Personally I would prefer the IOMSPC be allowed to stand alone and 'wash it's face' financially, rather than becoming dependent on government subsidies like Bus Vannin or the railways.

If only we had a gas field that we could be profiting from...

Subsidise freight bookings and let private sailings be paid for in full by the customer. 

If you do that though, no doubt the freight company/destination company (I.e. tesco etc) will still add on the subsidised difference to increase their profits, so no benefit to the tax payers - only a double hit on their pockets

9 hours ago, Hooly said:

Subsidise freight bookings and let private sailings be paid for in full by the customer. 

That would be economically bonkers, given freight traffic is (presumably) relatively fixed volume whereas private travel will (presumably) be much more price sensitive. If the boat capacity is there, it's more likely to make sense to cut the cost of private travel in order to increase volumes. That's pretty much what Scotland did by introducing Road Equivalent Tariffs for passengers and private vehicles, in order to increase usage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yibble said:

That would be economically bonkers, given freight traffic is (presumably) relatively fixed volume whereas private travel will (presumably) be much more price sensitive. If the boat capacity is there, it's more likely to make sense to cut the cost of private travel in order to increase volumes. That's pretty much what Scotland did by introducing Road Equivalent Tariffs for passengers and private vehicles, in order to increase usage.

Financially, Calmac is the Scottish Island's equivalent of Aurigny. It burns money for fun. We shouldn't follow the Calmac model as we don't have no longer have the money to burn. 

Until Covid the IOMSPC was making a decent profit and it needs to continue to do so in order to pay back the money Government spent on buying it. It also has the new ship to finance and eventually a replacement for the fast craft. 

The island can't afford to let a profitable business regress and become another money pit supported by the crutch of government. 

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

Financially, Calmac is the Scottish Island's equivalent of Aurigny. It burns money for fun. We shouldn't follow the Calmac model as we don't have no longer have the money to burn. 

Calmac also pay their crew the highest rates for any ferry company in Europe due to tax payer subsidising their wage costs, along with everything else. 

11 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Thames Head did a review, see Appendix 8 below (and p85 of the PDF for specific discussion on pricing relevant to above)

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/20182021/2019-GD-0009.pdf

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

The thing is, where do we go? Everywhere is getting hit. I’m tempted to join you if you can suggest somewhere cheaper. Mrs x-in-man wouldn’t mind, would she? 

Stay away from me, house prices already stupidly crazy. Northumberland sounds attractive.

Span maybe?

Edited by GD4ELI
Suggesting Spain

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

To be clear, I'm certainly not holding out the CalMac model (mess) as something for the IoM to emulate, and that's even before getting into Sturgeon's ferry procurement fiasco. I'm merely pointing out that even they recognise that subsidising freight whilst charging full whack for private travel would be getting things the wrong way round.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Yibble said:

To be clear, I'm certainly not holding out the CalMac model (mess) as something for the IoM to emulate, and that's even before getting into Sturgeon's ferry procurement fiasco. I'm merely pointing out that even they recognise that subsidising freight whilst charging full whack for private travel would be getting things the wrong way round.

That's fair. 

Personally I would rather Steam Packet just apply the increased cost across the board as they would have in previous years. We should avoid Government intervention at all costs as it will have a series of unintended consequences. 

It would seem like every other ferry company across the British Isles (and the world?) will have the same issue with increased fuel costs. 

Perhaps it's time to look at knocking the fast craft on the head after TT next year? The Ben will be available as well as Manxman - the fast craft uses an already more expensive grade of fuel so that can't be helping matters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Stay away from me, house prices already stupidly crazy. Northumberland sounds attractive.

Span maybe?

Spain? Spain? Back into the clutches of those evil EU people who relieved us of our blue passports, send thousands of economic migrants to our shores one-way, steal millions from our NHS and threatened to impose levelling up measures to our taxation? I feel a dose of gammonitis coming on...

1 hour ago, Maugholdmafia said:

There is a video going around of an Only Fans Twitter girl who came over to the IOM TT performing a sexual act in the steam packet ship toilets. Wonder if this is any relation to the reason 🤔🤣

What's an Only Fans Twitter girl?