huge rise in steam packet fares and cargo rates

Omobono

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Financially, Calmac is the Scottish Island's equivalent of Aurigny. It burns money for fun. We shouldn't follow the Calmac model as we don't have no longer have the money to burn. 

Until Covid the IOMSPC was making a decent profit and it needs to continue to do so in order to pay back the money Government spent on buying it. It also has the new ship to finance and eventually a replacement for the fast craft. 

The island can't afford to let a profitable business regress and become another money pit supported by the crutch of government. 

IOMSPC is a very profitable cash cow and will remain so in my opinion.

What effectively has happened from the company's point of view is that the borrowing for the new vessel has been made at the cheapest possible interest rate.

Rough figures iirc from their published fin stats from c. £60m turnover p.a., c.£15m cash is generated p.a. it's off the back of that & the sea services agreement that the debt can be serviced.

• Like 2

all of the steam packets  bigger customers have been informed of the new freight   and other rates  ,  and I would have thought by now there would have been some statement from Government , I wonder what is being said around the council of ministers table this morning ,  I guess they have few options , but the knock on effect on business and tourism is going to be substantial , 

4 minutes ago, Omobono said:

all of the steam packets  bigger customers have been informed of the new freight   and other rates  ,  and I would have thought by now there would have been some statement from Government , I wonder what is being said around the council of ministers table this morning ,  I guess they have few options , but the knock on effect on business and tourism is going to be substantial , 

I doubt IOMG or Alf will say much except that "IOMSPCo is run at arms length and it's their decision to hike up the costs if they think it warrants it".

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

I doubt IOMG or Alf will say much except that "IOMSPCo is run at arms length and it's their decision to hike up the costs if they think it warrants it".

It's the same all over western Europe at the moment. Prices are going up at a massive rate thanks to inflation - oil prices etc. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

There is a video going around of an Only Fans Twitter girl who came over to the IOM TT performing a sexual act in the steam packet ship toilets. Wonder if this is any relation to the reason 🤔🤣

Any links? For verification purposes.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So, no official announcement of fare increases from either IOMSPCo or IOMG.

Are these increased prices part of the User Agreement as originally set up and signed off by DOI?

Or are they new? If so, who approved them and when?

I'm not sure there will be an announcement. 

Looking at figure the other day the fuel the ferries use, and other oil products like aviation fuel, all seem to be up about 130% on this time last year. So it's going to push fares up. 

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I'm not sure there will be an announcement. 

Looking at figure the other day the fuel the ferries use, and other oil products like aviation fuel, all seem to be up about 130% on this time last year. So it's going to push fares up. 

central heating oil was 97.5p a litre on the latest bill ,   it was 60 something 6 months ago IIRC

• Sad 2

There options are…increase fares to cover the increase in fuel in which case the extra cost is shared by all customers or leave the fares as they are and make a loss by a Company owned by the taxpayers of the Island, I think the first option is preferable to the second.   With the rising cost of fuel it had to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

So, no official announcement of fare increases from either IOMSPCo or IOMG.

Are these increased prices part of the User Agreement as originally set up and signed off by DOI?

Or are they new? If so, who approved them and when?

As far as I can tell the increases being discussed are in freight prices and special offer fares - neither of which are covered by the User Agreement.

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As far as I can tell the increases being discussed are in freight prices and special offer fares - neither of which are covered by the User Agreement.

But it sounds like the special fares are more expensive than the usual published fares.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:19 PM, Roger Mexico said:

On 6/27/2022 at 10:57 PM, Andy Onchan said:

But it sounds like the special fares are more expensive than the usual published fares.

Except that the SP is obliged to offer a certain percentage of special reduced fares. The headline fares are determined by the agreement. The special fares have to be less than the headline fares.

Whenever you book a special fare the headline fare is shown on the website so you can choose it if you don’t want the restrictions on change, cancellation and refund.

Im led to believe that there’s a fuel price surcharge mechanism within the agreement and terms of carriage. But I haven’t gone and checked.