huge rise in steam packet fares and cargo rates

Omobono

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Watch out for the next hike in postal costs too now. 1 to 3 Royal Mail semi-trailers on the boat per day won't be coming cheap.

Plus all the Hermès parcels who won’t be delivering them for existing price but they’ll probably just cut fees for delivery people 

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Could do with fuel costs being subsidised otherwise we’re all knackered.

Subsidised by the GMP?

It would only then be charged in higher taxes. 

As rubbish as higher fares are the user pays principle is the fastest option.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Subsidised by the GMP?

But when it comes to imported goods including food then we are all users so everybody still pays unless you but only local produce which is getting harder and harder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Isn't DOI paying for that upfront? 

I guess to be pedantic no, the fxxxxxing taxpayers are, like we pay for everything else ! The fuel costs are unavoidable agreed, but the wholesale waste that has gone before throughout government is fast coming home to roost !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

I guess to be pedantic no, the fxxxxxing taxpayers are, like we pay for everything else ! The fuel costs are unavoidable agreed, but the wholesale waste that has gone before throughout government is fast coming home to roost !

That's fair. I think Alf Cannan knows the writing is on the wall in terms of government waste. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Subsidised by the GMP?

Fastest option? I assume you mean fairest?

If so these sort of increases will affect everyone in the long run, if the boat fares go up, the hauliers pass the costs on to retailers, retailers will either pass it onto us or just stop operating here altogether because it’s no longer viable. 

I am working on the basis it’s actually gone up 50% which is the headline in the first post, if it’s just in line with inflation then that’s fair enough.

Edited by Annoymouse

Just remember, somebody, somewhere is getting very rich on the back of all this. The oil companies, their institutional shareholders and the market speculators mainly.

The wealth transfer forges ahead, apace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just remember, somebody, somewhere is getting very rich on the back of all this. The oil companies, their institutional shareholders and the market speculators mainly.

The wealth transfer forges ahead, apace.

And governments. Lots of extra VAT being collected from price rises is virtually all areas. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Fastest option? I assume you mean fairest?

If so these sort of increases will affect everyone in the long run, if the boat fares go up, the hauliers pass the costs on to retailers, retailers will either pass it onto us or just stop operating here altogether because it’s no longer viable. 

I am working on the basis it’s actually gone up 50% which is the headline in the first post, if it’s just in line with inflation then that’s fair enough.

Yes, fairest was the word I was looking for! 

I guess we can argue it both ways really. As a government subsidy would be fair in one sense... I would prefer user pays so we're not giving money to off-island coach visitors for example (but that's a whole other rabbit hole). 

There's also the question of what level of profit are the IOMSPC planning/hoping to operate at this year, will it he pre-pandemic or are they expecting a loss? 

Personally I would prefer the IOMSPC be allowed to stand alone and 'wash it's face' financially, rather than becoming dependent on government subsidies like Bus Vannin or the railways.

If only we had a gas field that we could be profiting from...

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1