Jobs vacancies and no people to fill them?

Andy Onchan

Registered unemployed on the Island in May = 264

Jobs on that list (which won't be all of them) = almost 2000

Crazy.  Can we not get someone from the Jobcentre to the beach in Dover and take some names from the rubber boat people?

And all of this whilst we are staring down the barrel of a recession.  It's not that there is no business, it's there are no staff. 

It makes me wonder if we have now reached some sort of peak Capitalism crunch point, whereby the demands of the consumers are considerably outstripping the ability of the suppliers. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That there is what DfE need to be publicising for their "Locate" promotions. Nothing else matters really. IoM doesn't need more retirees / old farts /  TT fans, just a full-on worker immigration campaign in the same vein as Australia and NZ used to do.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Need to also give people actual valid reasons for relocating in my honest opinion.

Selling the Island on it's a nice place for a walk and here's a lovely beach is not enough. 

This.

There's so much more that people might find attractive: low taxes, sense of community, clean (for the most part) low crime, safe and secure, no long commutes. High property prices are a problem, but plenty of areas across have caught up and I sense a crash around the corner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Manxweegie said:

Should the Island seriously consider scrapping the work permit system? 

Would this make any difference in the grand scheme of things? 

Yes.  The work permit scheme is to protect manx workers and ensure they get first dibs on any jobs and they don't get taken by come-overs. 

If you have numbers like the above (for arguements sake 10 jobs for every unemployed person), then the majority of unemployed are either completely unemployable or do not want to work.  So why or what exactly are we protecting them from?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think you’ll find a lot of them are the exact same jobs just advertised through three or four separate recruitment agencies. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I hope while people are looking at the jobs list they take a second to marvel in how shit it actually is. There's no effort gone into that, postings frequently lack detail, links aren't links, it's just a lazy mess. And it has been that way for years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Also a lot of those jobs especially advertised through the agencies are duplicated, as most firms send their requirements to all of the agencies. 

About half of those finance jobs are in St Helier too if you click through to the recruiters site. Between that and the number of duplicate listings via different agencies it’s a totally false picture 

• Like 6