Jobs vacancies and no people to fill them?

Andy Onchan

3 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

About half of those finance jobs are in St Helier too if you click through to the recruiters site. Between that and the number of duplicate listings via different agencies it’s a totally false picture 

a government department giving out false information...who'd have guessed.

the question now is - apart from those with health issues, how many are claiming dole/job seekers / benefits. Given that list, the answer should be zero

• Like 1

I saw an advert the other day for a rental within the new sprawling Dandara metropolis of Ballasalla, 4 bed - £2,100 pcm.

Teachers, police officers, nurses, bus drivers, insert essential services here are leaving in their droves.

We'll have no infrastructure of note left soon.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They are in the finance industry.  £30K jobs less than five years ago are now around £50K. 

Very few, salaries in the finance sector have not risen that much. Couple that with they only surveyed 84 people

Edited by Passing Time

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I saw an advert the other day for a rental within the new sprawling Dandara metropolis of Ballasalla, 4 bed - £2,100 pcm.

3 Bed house in a better part of the Great Glasgow area, front and back garden, driveway - £750 pcm. 

This is perhaps the biggest reason I will not be returning. 

I have mentioned previously I was considering it, with myself working in the Maritime industry and my partner a nurse, we were both offered relocation packages, but it really is not worth it. 

• Like 2

Well, maybe those rubber boats crossing the channel could be towed a bit further? 

As said, relocation costs to live here are ridiculous, people are actually selling up while the going is good to maximise their investment, and relocating to the UK for the 'cheaper' housing! What a laugh, the UK, with its overheated housing market!

2 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

3 Bed house in a better part of the Great Glasgow area, front and back garden, driveway - £750 pcm. 

This is perhaps the biggest reason I will not be returning. 

I have mentioned previously I was considering it, with myself working in the Maritime industry and my partner a nurse, we were both offered relocation packages, but it really is not worth it. 

Successive Manx Governments have allowed this to happen.

The amount of relief staff manning the schools is actually frightening. Covid has masked a multitude of deeper failings.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Could start (or continue, not sure if one exists) an entire other thread dedicated to the state of housing on the Island, it is such a blatant joke!  DISGRACE

Jokes are meant to be funny - housing on the island definitely isn't...

• Like 2

In post-Brexit/ Covid ‘new normal’ the UK, and the IOM, are suffering staff shortages. But, Brexiteers think it is price worth paying for gaining ‘taking back control’ and attaining a kind of romanticised self-sovereignty. It’s a pity that this also means there are too few workers to wipe bums and serve cuppas in nursing homes/ care homes, etc.

On top of that, word has gone out that much of IOM’s existing housing stock is of poor quality and since Covid it also costs a small fortune; the health services are poorly run and much more limited than before (many local residents understand that if something serious needs to be done they only have one sensible option – which is to go to either Liverpool or Manchester for their treatment). And unless one likes to bob up and down on a ferry to go across, the air links are now stretched. Crime may be low, but I know people who have been burgled several times (apparently by ‘feral’ kids) and they have moved back to Devon as they felt their complaints were not taking too seriously. Education is no longer a great selling point either, apart from the KWC.

There is a lot of work for the IOMG to do in order to address all of these fundamental issues, a task which is made more difficult by the ‘predicament’ that the Public Service Pension Reserve (the fund out of which Public Sector pensions were previously paid) has just run out of money (note: in the future all Public Sector pension payments will either be paid out of the General Reserve Account or out of unspecified 'Income’).

Edited by code99
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Teachers, police officers, nurses, bus drivers, insert essential services here are leaving in their droves.

We'll have no infrastructure of note left soon.

What's the answer though? Surely market forces dictate the price. 

How does government/GMP take decisions that reduce the costs of housing here without devaluing the market. 

I agree the price of rentals is terrible and that's why dandara are not bothered about selling. They can make a tidy business building and the then renting. 

Until there is a competitive market for developers to deal in and they can get staff it will always be thus. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree the price of rentals is terrible and that's why dandara are not bothered about selling. They can make a tidy business building and the then renting. 

I'd suspect it's going to get get even worse with the new landlords bill being brought in.  Many landlords are going to be dumping their properties in the near future as the requirements that will be brought in are going to be a nightmare. 

The thing is, you actually need a rental market.  I rented for about 10 years,  didn't want to and couldn't really afford to buy.  Even then prices were steep and you had to move super quick to get any properties that weren't a bedsit before they got snapped up. 

You wait.  Now we are complaining the rental prices are high.  In a few years we'll be complaining there are no rentals. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

That there is what DfE need to be publicising for their "Locate" promotions. Nothing else matters really. IoM doesn't need more retirees / old farts /  TT fans, just a full-on worker immigration campaign in the same vein as Australia and NZ used to do.

Yeah, the oldies are no use to the island. We should call it out for what it is. Retirees are a real liability that we can no longer support. We need a cap putting on them.

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Yeah, the oldies are no use to the island. We should call it out for what it is. Retirees are a real liability that we can no longer support. We need a cap putting on them.

Start a cull. 

If you're over 70 that's it I am afraid you've had your lot. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It will come to that. I’m bloody certain it will. Not now, but it will come. 

😳😳😳

Just a tad bit worrying! I am certainly hoping nothing will because that extreme.

There is some slight truth in the the original post. Do need to be doing more to attract singles, (even if to just shake up the gene pool lol!) young couples and young families. Although don't right of the retirees completely! 

10 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Start a cull. 

If you're over 70 that's it I am afraid you've had your lot. 

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Before your pubes turned dark they were working their assess off. Enough with this decisive nonsense. 

Lol. I don't know what's so controversial. The island's dependency ratio has been out of whack for years. There's no point pretending we can support more retirees coming to the island to expect 'free' healthcare, bus passes and benefits. 

• Like 1