Jobs vacancies and no people to fill them?

Andy Onchan

13 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

That is literally nonsense. The official pandemic figures for the UK rail network are linked below. The UK rail operators got nearly £17Billion in taxpayers money last year to keep them afloat otherwise they’d have all gone bust. 

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/2036/rail-industry-finance-uk-statistical-release-2020-21.pdf

A huge number of the operators are now having to re-finance due to pandemic loses and changes in consumer patterns. Not least the fact that huge numbers of workers in the south aren’t buying season tickets anymore as they’re WFH leaving big funding issues. The only people picking up the tab for this greed is the taxpayer. Never mind reality defying pay rises all round!

Meanwhile 300,000 airport workers were thrown out of their jobs to fend for themselves over the pandemic. But nobody seems to give a toss about them and in fact the entire UK media slags them off daily for airport delays when they’ve mostly been treated like absolute crap being thrown out of jobs and then re-deployed on the same crappy wages after a year or more on Covid support. It’s a shame there’s no noisy gobshite like Lynch sticking up for them.

360C46CB-8EA1-44E6-83C2-A74A76F348FB.jpeg

72C424C4-A51E-44A8-A260-B1A7CAB766CC.jpeg

If you look at Network Rail and First Group financial standings you will see that both companies made profits. 

You’re right in some respect, that Government invested money due to passenger numbers falling, as a subsidy. But that investment contributed towards those record profits. 

I don’t get how any Government can independently contribute to a private sector profit. The subsidy should have offset loss of earnings to a net zero position. But also, the Tories went one step further. And as a consequence the front line workers are still suffering. 

I agree with you in the Airport workers, but we weren’t talking about those. We were talking about Lynch. If the Airport Workers union took a leaf out of Lynch’s book then I’m sure they’d get public support, as would teachers, nurses etc. 

They all should be paid more in line with cost of living rises. How is it right that a teacher or a nurse is having to rely on food banks to survive 

10 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Does that actually happen other than anecdotally on social media? 

There is some confusion here.

Most of the low-level jobs in places like hospitals are outsourced. These workers are the kind that get exploited and are the hardest hit by a rise in the cost of living.

As ill health goes hand in hand with poverty a lot of patients are discharged into financial woe.

It is for these folks that food banks are appearing in hospitals.

In any event I'm sure our benevolent government gave staff like nurses a 1% payrise for all the appalling stresses and strains they had to endure because of pandemic mismanagement.

24 minutes ago, P.K. said:

In any event I'm sure our benevolent government gave staff like nurses a 1% payrise for all the appalling stresses and strains they had to endure because of pandemic mismanagement.

We all had appalling stresses under the pandemic. My business nearly folded and I’m still financially in a much much worse situation than I was before the pandemic. I don’t see anyone giving me anything. In fact all I got back end of last year was a twatish VAT inspection where they tried to screw me for even more money they weren’t owned. This governemt cares about nothing but itself. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

There is some confusion here.

Most of the low-level jobs in places like hospitals are outsourced. These workers are the kind that get exploited and are the hardest hit by a rise in the cost of living.

As ill health goes hand in hand with poverty a lot of patients are discharged into financial woe.

It is for these folks that food banks are appearing in hospitals.

The nurses have been offered 4% for last year backdated & 4% for this year.

Meanwhile some people f teachers unions are insisting on inflation busting rises even though they’ve been offered an Iom allowances & most of them did fuck all during Covid lockdown as evidenced by the fall in educational standards published this week!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nasuwt-to-consider-strike-action-before-end-of-term/

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It must be true, the Doctor says so...

Screenshot_20220712-175627_Facebook.jpg

Osmium is perhaps the densest naturally occurring element on the Earth, which belongs to the precious platinum group of metals. This shiny looking substance is twice as dense as lead.  However, scientist have not been to a sitting of Tynwald.  The term dense is defined as slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity.  They may want to reclassify Osmium as the second densest naturally occurring element on the Earth.  

• Haha 1

Recession: " In the United Kingdom, it is defined as a negative economic growth for two consecutive quarters."

Economic growth: "an increase in the amount of goods and services produced per head of the population over a period of time"

So what are the gov. figures?

10 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Recession: " In the United Kingdom, it is defined as a negative economic growth for two consecutive quarters."

Economic growth: "an increase in the amount of goods and services produced per head of the population over a period of time"

So what are the gov. figures?

Should get the current stats sometime in 2024.

• Haha 1