Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

4 hours ago, Lxxx said:

In my opinion we need to staff Manx Care with professionals who know nothing about health care. The principles of successfully operating at executive level in different industries are the same. 

All we keep doing is nicking staff from failing healthcare systems elsewhere and expect them to make a positive difference here. We need to tear up the script and operate it like a business. A patient is the customer and the service is the product. Get back to basics and cut out the unnecessary wastage and bureaucracy.

Your first paragraph is one of the stupidest I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something. We need more clinical experience at the highest levels. In the UK there are a few medics who have crossed the rubicon to become chief execs, and these are some of the highest performing trusts. 

A public health service is not a business. If it were, the best way to stop it losing hundreds of millions a year would be to close it. Making the patient the customer and the service the product is privatisation. That’s fine if you can afford it, but most can’t. The American system is not one that should be copied in my opinion (and as for wastage and bureaucracy, this will only increase with customers being billed for every last sticking plaster)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

45 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Your first paragraph is one of the stupidest I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something. We need more clinical experience at the highest levels. In the UK there are a few medics who have crossed the rubicon to become chief execs, and these are some of the highest performing trusts. 

We've tried this approach elsewhere in IOMG and it failed spectacularly, see Nick Black at DOI as an example.

What we need is fewer non-medics and allow the people who now medicine to run the show.

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I didn't understand that.  Hooper doesn't seem to have given evidence at the Ranson Tribunal either in person or in writing.  And there's no reason you would have expected him to.  And the evidence about Malone doesn't seem to have come out till after she was appointed, though it's difficult to tell because so much evidence not disclosed to start with and only dribbled out during and after the process.

Not true, it came out in the tribunal weeks before the interviews, and the document alleged tampering was on Hoopers watch.  Both of the latter would have been known and disclosed to Hooper before the tribunal. 
if it wasn’t, then what planet was he on. 
He approved the CEO appointment knowing Malones evidence would be made public and bring his behaviour into disrepute.    OR he was that arrogant he thought the public wouldn’t find out. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

A public health service is not a business. If it were, the best way to stop it losing hundreds of millions a year would be to close it. Making the patient the customer and the service the product is privatisation. That’s fine if you can afford it, but most can’t. The American system is not one that should be copied in my opinion (and as for wastage and bureaucracy, this will only increase with customers being billed for every last sticking plaster)

Let hope they offer CEO post vacancy to Ranson 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It would focus all the staff in one place to provide a consistent level of service to everyone across the island. People on Port Erin get ill too, it's not just Ramsey. 

That was once the plan for Southlands - to provide a similar local service. They forgot to ensure the local doctors were happy to do it. That is why it is as it is now

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Although they're short staffed at present, presumably there's sufficient numbers to cover the Southern 100 races?

I have no doubt that if required, the CEO would be rolled out to say that "the potential impact on beds at Nobles as a result of the Southern 100 has been included within our planning". In other words, no they aren't ready. A wing and a Prayer management.

10 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Not true, it came out in the tribunal weeks before the interviews, and the document alleged tampering was on Hoopers watch.  Both of the latter would have been known and disclosed to Hooper before the tribunal. 
He approved the CEO appointment knowing Malones evidence would be made public and bring his behaviour into disrepute.    OR he was that arrogant he thought the public wouldn’t find out. 

Yep, that was my impression too.  The Malone appointment is baffling as Lawrie was chair of the PAC meetings 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

That approach has been tried several times.

It had failed spectacularly  recently with a CEO with a history of health care based on a degree in music.

That failure  will prove to be extremely expensive 

Everything we do proves to be extremely expensive, with poor appointment after poor appointment. 

Do we just continue with Einstein's definition of insanity and just keep hoping for a lucky raffle win with the next appointment?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Do you actually think that civil servants trying to save their own skin go to ask the Minister for permission to forge documents?  Or that Ministers should forensically examine every bit of documentation that their Department produces.

Malone's appointment was announced on 18 February, though it would have been decided earlier and any interviews would have been a lot earlier.  Given that Malone had effectively been in post for several months, the whole thing may have a formality and in place before Hooper took over.  The tribunal didn't finish till 11 February and the text exchanges that really did for Malone don't seem to have been disclosed till actually during the hearings.  They should have been disclosed back in October along with a lot more that wasn't, but that was before Hopper's appointment.

That said the announcement does look oddly timed, given the publicity that there had been for the tribunal evidence, though most of that concentrated on how poisonous Magson had been.  Was it done by Greenhow and HR without checking politically?  It might explain why Greenhow went so readily, though he was clearly conniving with Magson as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Although they're short staffed at present, presumably there's sufficient numbers to cover the Southern 100 races?

Manx Care don't provide the medical staff that cover the races. Obviously, they need to be in a position to deal with any possible trauma cases sent in from the races. There is a discussion that takes place each day between the hospital and the event medical team to determine whether there is sufficient capacity for racing to go ahead. If they don't have capacity, racing wouldn't take place.

16 hours ago, wrighty said:

It would probably be cheaper to hand the whole shooting match over to a private operator (including A&E) and for IOMG to pay for the patient treatment directly. 

• Thanks 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-data-breaches-ceo-admits-shes-deeply-sorry/

Cope lays the blame on the "inherited liabilities".

Manx Care took over in April 2021, but had been "shadowing" since January 2021 (and Cope started in December 2020).

I assume that "shadowing" means looking at what is going on, without taking any action. I think it possible that an insecure email system should have been noticed by lunchtime on the first day.

If the changes are implemented by September, it will have taken a year and 8 months to get it done.

Compare that to the signs outside all the buildings, which were changed within a few days of Manx Care taking over.

New email risks are identified frequently. I hope that Manx Care knows how to keep up.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, Andy Onchan said:

From what I hear she wasn't universally liked, even amongst some "medicos". So probably not a good idea.

The CEO post is in DHSC 

no one likes people who cant be manipulated, she is qualified and experienced enough to lead operation and policy. 

• Like 2