Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

55 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I find it hard not to come to that conclusion, frankly based on the the default which is not good enough. It really shouldn't be necessary to have to badger MC for appointments at the soonest opportunity..  

I agree that the default is not good enough; I agree that it shouldn’t be necessary to badger MC for appointments; but if you really believe that MC has a policy of allowing people to die in order to make their numbers look better…then I’ll stop responding here.

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I agree that the default is not good enough; I agree that it shouldn’t be necessary to badger MC for appointments; but if you really believe that MC has a policy of allowing people to die in order to make their numbers look better…then I’ll stop responding here.

Well it's certainly not going to be written policy, is it?

The appointment booking system is beyond a joke, how many people have been told they fell through the net chasing appointments?  This happened to me just before covid with a heart issue, weekly calls chasing a referral to Liverpool, staff lying saying the appointment was sent by email and post and both got lost.

• Sad 1

The CEO of Who Cares was on the Moanin Line yesterday, in answer to a question of paying for accommodation for people attending off island appointments, she replied it would cost £500,000. Whilst I do appreciate the cost aspect and Who Cares is on its arse, and Hooperman agreed, it’s rather funny the amount of money spent on other things, which is creating a lack of funding issue. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The CEO of Who Cares was on the Moanin Line yesterday, in answer to a question of paying for accommodation for people attending off island appointments, she replied it would cost £500,000. Whilst I do appreciate the cost aspect and Who Cares is on its arse, and Hooperman agreed, it’s rather funny the amount of money spent on other things, which is creating a lack of funding issue. 

If people want to go the day before they should pay the accommodation themselves 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, snowman said:

If people want to go the day before they should pay the accommodation themselves 

Indeed! We all know that Loganair have been having difficulties meeting their obligations to run a reliable and dependable service for Manx Care, but the % of flights cancelled is actually around 4%. So why would you send everyone the day before to mitigate that level of disruption. 

17 minutes ago, snowman said:

This is the issue. The people here have a sense of entitlement. They want a first class system of healthcare with door to door perks but want someone else to pay for it. 

7 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

This is the issue. The people here have a sense of entitlement. They want a first class system of healthcare with door to door perks but want someone else to pay for it. 

Agreed, but not sure the sense of entitlement is inherently Manx.

• Like 1

@snowman@Nellie@LxxxI wasn’t advocating this policy of paying for accommodation, and I can see patients concerns, especially as someone who has been to see consultants in Liverpool. If we hadn’t wasted money on some needless, vanity and pointless projects then maybe, in the future there may be funds for the nice to haves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

It isn’t but from my perspective, the Health Service at one point in the distant past was very good, the envy of people in the UK.  Especially when it was the Old Nobles. Things changed, Nobles and DHSC employed loads of Managers and not enough people on the front line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

It isn’t but from my perspective, the Health Service at one point in the distant past was very good, the envy of people in the UK.  Especially when it was the Old Nobles. Things changed, Nobles and DHSC employed loads of Managers and not enough people on the front line. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, snowman said:

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

I have to go to Liverpool twice a year to see my consultant for a chronic illness. I go the day before for several reasons. 

1. The appointment is always first thing in the morning and if the morning flight is delayed or cancelled, I miss my appointment. Going the day before gives me some leeway.

2. Due to the stress of worrying about whether or not the flight will be on time, coupled with the fact that I need to be up at least two hours before leaving the house (due to issues from said chronic condition) by the time I get to the clinic my BP is through the roof. This has caused the consultant to ask me to have my BP checked weekly at my GP's surgery, wasting everyone's time and NHS money.  

3. This stress also sometimes causes some of my lab results to be skewed. When I used to go the day of the appointment, several times I had to go back over to have labs redone, again wasting time and money. (These test can't be done here reliably as they have to be sent across anyway and these results are often also skewed.) 

I ALWAYS pay for my accommodation. I put money aside in-between appointments for this purpose. I hate that my chronic condition costs the NHS money. Since I started going the day before a few years ago, I haven't had the BP and skewed lab issues I had in the past. So for the sake of saving up around 50-75 quid of my own money, I'm potentially saving the NHS hundreds. 

I can't tell you how much it pisses me off when people are all tarred with the same brush due to a few jerks. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I have to go to Liverpool twice a year to see my consultant for a chronic illness. I go the day before for several reasons. 

1. The appointment is always first thing in the morning and if the morning flight is delayed or cancelled, I miss my appointment. Going the day before gives me some leeway.

2. Due to the stress of worrying about whether or not the flight will be on time, coupled with the fact that I need to be up at least two hours before leaving the house (due to issues from said chronic condition) by the time I get to the clinic my BP is through the roof. This has caused the consultant to ask me to have my BP checked weekly at my GP's surgery, wasting everyone's time and NHS money.  

3. This stress also sometimes causes some of my lab results to be skewed. When I used to go the day of the appointment, several times I had to go back over to have labs redone, again wasting time and money. (These test can't be done here reliably as they have to be sent across anyway and these results are often also skewed.) 

I ALWAYS pay for my accommodation. I put money aside in-between appointments for this purpose. I hate that my chronic condition costs the NHS money. Since I started going the day before a few years ago, I haven't had the BP and skewed lab issues I had in the past. So for the sake of saving up around 50-75 quid of my own money, I'm potentially saving the NHS hundreds. 

I can't tell you how much it pisses me off when people are all tarred with the same brush due to a few jerks. 

Whilst it’s argued that £500k it would cost, the figure would be brought down if concentrating on examples like yourself. If Who Cares? were proactive, and along with IOMG didnt squander taxpayers money, maybe it could find resources to address this issue. IOMG could possibly have an arrangement with a hotel chain near Liverpool Airport - eg Travelodge, Premier Inn. 

Nobles has the potential to bring in extra revenue without costing the taxpayers. One example - why not have Amazon Lockers, like a lot of hospitals in the UK have? Amazon deliver there and customers collect. I’m sure Nobles could find accessible space and get some income? It’s called being creative. 

Edited by 2112

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Whilst it’s argued that £500k it would cost, the figure would be brought down if concentrating on examples like yourself. If Who Cares? were proactive, and along with IOMG didnt squander taxpayers money, maybe it could find resources to address this issue. IOMG could possibly have an arrangement with a hotel chain near Liverpool Airport - eg Travelodge, Premier Inn. 

Nobles has the potential to bring in extra revenue without costing the taxpayers. One example - why not have Amazon Lockers, like a lot of hospitals in the UK have? Amazon deliver there and customers collect. I’m sure Nobles could find accessible space and get some income? It’s called being creative. 

Would cause parking issues if it the locker was publicly accesible.

But they could have one in a non public area just for staff.  Im sure that would be welcomed by shift workers

Edited by snowman

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

One thing we have established is that whenever the government here try to 'do commercial' they mess it up and use it as an excuse to employ lots of unnecessary people.  And everyone then criticises them for competing with the private sector. 

And I suspect there isn't any money to be made from Amazon lockers anyway (postal delivery is too good, neighbours too helpful, pilfering too rare) and if there was, someone would offer the service in a more convenient location than stuck out in the middle of Braddan.

Another thing we know is that there isn't really any spare space at Nobles and never has been due to bad planning.  They actually had to build extra facilities for things such as diabetic treatment because they had forgotten to include them.  (I've also heard rumours of a ward being converted to offices, can this be true?).

• Like 1