Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Yes but the long list it is on can soon become the short list. As apposed to the long list for surgery and other treatment which will never become the short list.

Like I said, you need to listen to the whole programme.  She is in favour of free at point of delivery health services and did not support the proposal. 

They are also trying to make inroads into the various long waiting lists. 

TBH, she has inherited a shit show, as shown by the Michael's Report, and sounds committed to delivering a good service.  She also has a huge job in changing the culture as shown by both that report and the Ranson shenanigans.  These things aren't achieved overnight and certainly not easily in a sector which has recruitment issues.

Also remember those at the helm during the most impactful health crisis to hit since the NHS was created. 

She had some reassuring comments about geriatric care amongst other things.

At the end of the day, I don't think a charge will be applied for A&E, but would hope that the GP services, and perhaps MEDS, are improved to help people go elsewhere for help rather than take up the A&E resource.   It is an A&E, the clue is in the name.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I would be interested to know how long we give manx care before expecting results and change to occur 2 years 4 years a decade?

I've been waiting 30 years for "Lessons to be learned" so don't hold your breath !

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I would be interested to know how long we give manx care before expecting results and change to occur 2 years 4 years a decade?

We are seeing change now.  For example,  the buying in of resource for orthopaedic and ocular surgery. 

Like I said, this is like an oil tanker changing course.  But to say we need complete change in a finite period is missing the opportunity to see the little changes that will add to the whole.  I would rather see those little changes as an ongoing process than each as an end.  As soon as those changes falter, then we know it is broken beyond repair and who knows what we do then. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

We are seeing change now.  For example,  the buying in of resource for orthopaedic and ocular surgery. 

Like I said, this is like an oil tanker changing course.  But to say we need complete change in a finite period is missing the opportunity to see the little changes that will add to the whole.  I would rather see those little changes as an ongoing process than each as an end.  As soon as those changes falter, then we know it is broken beyond repair and who knows what we do then. 

Alternatively TC is recruiting old mates who sit in virtual meetings pointing out the only solution is more money and, by the way, I've got a mate who can look into that problem if you give me the nod/cash. And Tynwald getting to the point where they can't reverse because they've invested so much extra cash. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Alternatively TC is recruiting old mates who sit in virtual meetings pointing out the only solution is more money and, by the way, I've got a mate who can look into that problem if you give me the nod/cash. And Tynwald getting to the point where they can't reverse because they've invested so much extra cash. 

But do you know that is going on?

Before we look at charging people for A&E we need to look at these very highly paid non jobs and their bosses.

88k for a deputy, and his boss on 150k and they still can't prevent people emailing medical records to thousands of people.  If you move incapable people into senior roles you get incompetence.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/displayjob.aspx?jobid=14123

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Im afraid if Manx Care are mooting this idea of charging to attend A&E, in the hope people won’t attend, then we as an island are on the slope to hitting total rock bottom. I’m also afraid that Hooperman that pathetic wimp and poor excuse of a Minister will wriggle, splutter and howl protests of not knowing what’s going on, then scream social justice in the next breath. This idea will have been run by the Treasury, and COMIN, so it won’t be an entire new idea from Manx Care. This idea will resurrect the idea that Ex Health Minister Quayle wanted to introduce, pay to see your GP. Great if you get an appointment without waiting weeks. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Before we look at charging people for A&E we need to look at these very highly paid non jobs and their bosses.

88k for a deputy, and his boss on 150k and they still can't prevent people emailing medical records to thousands of people.  If you move incapable people into senior roles you get incompetence.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/displayjob.aspx?jobid=14123

It’s not just Manx Care which is failing but I’m afraid that Hooperman has showed that Liberal Vannin tradition of failing when handed a position of real responsibility. Ashford was proved wanting and paid the price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Im afraid if Manx Care are mooting this idea of charging to attend A&E, in the hope people won’t attend, then we as an island are on the slope to hitting total rock bottom. I’m also afraid that Hooperman that pathetic wimp and poor excuse of a Minister will wriggle, splutter and howl protests of not knowing what’s going on, then scream social justice in the next breath. This idea will have been run by the Treasury, and COMIN, so it won’t be an entire new idea from Manx Care. This idea will resurrect the idea that Ex Health Minister Quayle wanted to introduce, pay to see your GP. Great if you get an appointment without waiting weeks. 

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but the option was rejected by the MC Board.  It is, in any case, a policy matter so even if the Board supported it, it would have to be recommended to the DHSC to adopt as policy with all the hoops that involves. 

Of course it should be considered, as all options should.  It doesn't mean it will be approved.

This outrage is as a result of poor reporting by MR.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but the option was rejected by the MC Board.  It is, in any case, a policy matter so even if the Board supported it, it would have to be recommended to the DHSC to adopt as policy with all the hoops that involves. 

Of course it should be considered, as all options should.  It doesn't mean it will be approved.

The fact it was even considered, when it’s probably been considered countless times before, even when the previous Nobles Hospital Managers hadn’t made such a mess of things, suggests to me that the situation is beyond bad, and rehashing old ideas, in hope that this time it may stick. 

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Agree with all that. The very mention of charging, even if to dismiss it as an option, is always going to get the comments section on Facebook buzzing - perhaps that was the point?

Anyway, charging is such an anathema because there’s nobody alive that remembers anything but healthcare free at the point of delivery. But in my view, that model is now broken. The UK NHS, rather than being the envy of the world, is failing. I don’t know what the endgame will be, but surely, waiting outside A&E in an ambulance for 10 hours, in July, is telling. The system is crumbling - can’t get a GP, can’t get an ambulance, EDs full, hospitals unable to discharge people as there’s no social care available.

If the NHS model of care is so great, why aren’t countries everywhere copying it? I’ve experienced better systems elsewhere, where charging and co-payments are part of it. What’s better? A ‘free’ service that can’t deliver, or a part-paid one that can? Charging should not be off the table simply because of the quasi-religious affinity that the population have with the NHS. It’s broken, and something needs doing to fix it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The fact it was even considered, when it’s probably been considered countless times before, even when the previous Nobles Hospital Managers hadn’t made such a mess of things, suggests to me that the situation is beyond bad, and rehashing old ideas, in hope that this time it may stick. 

The fact the previous management considered it and rejected perhaps makes it a good item to reconsider and reject.

You are getting hot under the collar about a non-issue.  What gets me hot under the collar is that perhaps some of the A&E practices themselves put them under pressure.  For example, a child with a life long diagnosed condition has to go to A&E when it flares up for admission to the children's ward, despite the child being known on the ward.  That, if true, is just plain silly. The parents should be able to ring the ward and get permission to bring them in. 

• Like 1