Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

one of the problems with the NHS is health tourism,  little Josip needs an op he can't get in Dubrovnik so hey,  bring him to England where we can fix him, it only costs 200k but  it's ok,  you can pay never.  the National Health Service should have the word International put in front of it so it's correctly  initialed the  INHS.  if we weren't fixing every unfortunate foreign fucker that sets foot in the country we could maybe afford to pay for our own populations medical needs..

• Confused 1

Whilst charging for the service may have to be something for the future, the immediate problem is, in the wake of the Anaesthetists fiasco, the Abbotswood fiasco and the Ranson affair , getting medics to come here must be like trying to get vampires to work on a garlic farm !

4 weeks to get a telephone  appointment, how much could you charge for that !!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

one of the problems with the NHS is health tourism,  little Josip needs an op he can't get in Dubrovnik so hey,  bring him to England where we can fix him, it only costs 200k but  it's ok,  you can pay never.  the National Health Service should have the word International put in front of it so it's correctly  initialed the  INHS.  if we weren't fixing every unfortunate foreign fucker that sets foot in the country we could maybe afford to pay for our own populations medical needs..

Are you the editor of the Daily Mail?

I understand people’s feelings about health tourism, but as a proportion of total health expenditure it’s miniscule. Clamping down on it would make no difference whatsoever to access for home residents. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I think there is also some medical treatments going off Island? Some East Europeans actually go back their Country for dental, optician and ongoing conditions. Then there is the use of Asia and Turkey for some procedures!

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Are you the editor of the Daily Mail?

I understand people’s feelings about health tourism, but as a proportion of total health expenditure it’s miniscule. Clamping down on it would make no difference whatsoever to access for home residents. 

so it won't save time then ?  cos if you're treating Josip you aren't treating Joe.

Edited by WTF

28 minutes ago, WTF said:

so it won't save time then ?  cos if you're treating Josip you aren't treating Joe.

Negligible overall effect. Total cost of health tourism is about £300m, less than 0.3% of the NHS budget. So you’re right, I suppose. If Josip is turned away, Joe might only have to wait 364 days instead of 365 for his operation.  

7 hours ago, cissolt said:

88k for a deputy, and his boss on 150k and they still can't prevent people emailing medical records to thousands of people.  If you move incapable people into senior roles you get incompetence.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/displayjob.aspx?jobid=14123

Quote:

"Reporting directly to the Manx Care Chief Information Officer, you will lead delivery against agreed operational plans to successfully address areas requiring improvement and innovation with a focus on outcomes, safety and quality improvement. You will be instrumental in the ongoing performance and improvement of health and care services for the Isle of Man."

What does the Chief Information Officer do?

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Negligible overall effect. Total cost of health tourism is about £300m, less than 0.3% of the NHS budget. So you’re right, I suppose. If Josip is turned away, Joe might only have to wait 364 days instead of 365 for his operation.  

LOL, who waits less than a year for anything these days , oh that's right, the people who can pay to go private.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Given their current email practices, they'd probably end up inviting everybody to everybody else's appointments.

That would be one way to cut waiting lists, get them all in on the same day. 

Might get a bit crowded

13rail.jpg

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, 0bserver said:

I totally agree with you that the current model and funding is unsustainable. 

I don't think a user pays model would be the way to go. But we do need to have a long and honest debate about thr future of health and social care. 

I suspect moving towards a Nordic type model may be the way to go. Of course that would mean increased funding through higher taxes.

Stopping the NHS tourists would be a good start,  stopping free treatment for on resident would also be a good start, stop A & E being used a doctors surgery would be another good start. 
we need a more formalised  ‘cheques and balances’  by non resident users. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, wrighty said:

Show where you are getting those figures from!

I doubt if you can because we don’t have a system of asserting residency.

even if we go by your estimate, 300 million is a lot of money and Joe would be more than likely to only wait 90 days as we spent the money saved on efficiencies. 

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

Show where you are getting those figures from!

I doubt if you can because we don’t have a system of asserting residency.

even if we go by your estimate, 300 million is a lot of money and Joe would be more than likely to only wait 90 days as we spent the money saved on efficiencies. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/361/bmj.k2536.full.pdf

So you think an extra 300 million would essentially clear the 6.5 million on NHS waiting lists such that waiting time is 90days? Some ambulances are waiting almost that long outside A&Es.

You know I’m talking about the UK and not here, don’t you?