Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Have you ever attended RCH? I hadn’t, until recently. I was really impressed by the ranger of treatments and facilities on offer.

The range of facilities and treatments, as a community health centre, is wide. 

How’s it going to be cost effective to have capital spend and the extra running costs of things, like additional patient transport?

Its not back up, and that’s not what we are being encouraged to use it for. The biggest problem with Nobles A&E ( and lots of other departments, including Ramsey ) is staff shortage. Combining Nobles and Ramsey won’t change that.

However, that’s compounded, for A&E, by public misuse of A&E for things they should be seeing their GP, pharmacist or even self treating.

Part of the reason people have to use A&E rather than their GP is due to gp waiting times and/or poor service.

GPs seem to have slowed to a standstill since covid.

I should say though that the manndoc service is excellent.  Perhaps a call centre type first line GP service might take the pressure of GPs and in turn take pressure away from A&E

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Part of the reason people have to use A&E rather than their GP is due to gp waiting times and/or poor service.

I should say though that the manndoc service is excellent.  Perhaps a call centre type first line GP service might take the pressure of GPs and in turn take pressure away from A&E

Don’t disagree with any of that. But closing RCH, or it’s minor injuries unit, won’t change that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cissolt said:

maybe we should shut all GP surgeries too and cram every medic possible onto the nobles site ?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe we should shut all GP surgeries too and cram every medic possible onto the nobles site ?

Obviously that's not what I meant. The use of A&E is a direct result of lack of GP appointments, which has a large number of regular time wasting appointments.  This could be triaged by a phone service, similar to manndoc.

More GP appointments for those in need, less people forced to attend A&E due to poor GP service.

As an aside, I don't remember a time in history where GPs have closed every month for training.  Is this a new initiative? Or a way to manage a lack of GPs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yet another new job? £61k-71k https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/PreviewDocument.aspx?docid=172120&GUID=c4af02c731f24bae8088ee8c36c7ec56&jobid=15144

“Head of information governance”, with Main job function to “ensure Manx Care complies with all relevant legislation in relation to information governance” , and “highly complex and contentious, statutory and regulatory requirements are implemented across Manx Care”.

So why are all criteria to do with compliance with legislation and knowledge of it “desirable”, but the ability to provide death by PowerPoint is an essential! Oh, and iom worker only …

Sounds like the boy/girl (etc) has already been chosen … don’t waste the postage folks.

And no doubt the candidate will prove to be totally inadequate in the the role and they will be promoted to chief knobhead, with an assistant knobhead under them. Who in turn will require a personal assistant knobhead, and so a whole new department of knobheads is born. All on eye watering salary's and pensions. All to do the job some other knobhead was supposed to do. Instead of just sacking the first knobhead who happen's to be Keith's brother's second cousin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2022 at 7:31 AM, John Wright said:

Have you ever attended RCH? I hadn’t, until recently. I was really impressed by the ranger of treatments and facilities on offer.

The range of facilities and treatments, as a community health centre, is wide. 

How’s it going to be cost effective to have capital spend and the extra running costs of things, like additional patient transport?

Its not back up, and that’s not what we are being encouraged to use it for. The biggest problem with Nobles A&E ( and lots of other departments, including Ramsey ) is staff shortage. Combining Nobles and Ramsey won’t change that.

However, that’s compounded, for A&E, by public misuse of A&E for things they should be seeing their GP, pharmacist or even self treating.

Have to agree Ramsey Cottage is great.

For example if you are sent for a blood test you pitch up there on a weekday between 8-10 am ( no parking problems) take a ticket and wait for your turn. Usually no longer than 15 minutes. None of this appointment nonsense as at Nobles.

I used to be needle phobic but they are so good and put you at your ease and the environment is much more relaxed.

On another point and I don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here previously, has anyone seen the survey that Manx Care have recently issued. It’s probably the worst designed I have ever seen.

I would provide a link if I had the technical ability

Edited by The Voice of Reason
To add 8-10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

And no doubt the candidate will prove to be totally inadequate in the the role and they will be promoted to chief knobhead, with an assistant knobhead under them. Who in turn will require a personal assistant knobhead, and so a whole new department of knobheads is born. All on eye watering salary's and pensions. All to do the job some other knobhead was supposed to do. Instead of just sacking the first knobhead who happen's to be Keith's brother's second cousin. 

Is this in addition to Richard Wilds assistant?  Or has he been moved on due to a succession of failures?  

• Like 1

I complained, on here, about the long, long wait to get treatment and for some reason, suddenly,  everything has swung into top gear. Had a long awaited meeting with the consultant, a long awaited CT scan and treatment has started with another CT scan in four weeks.

Maybe it's just because my problem has become more acute, (I don't know), or things are starting to look up with our health service.

Either way, I am profoundly grateful.

I also agree about the blood tests via RCH, they always have been and continue to be just how the service should work. Please don't close RCH and leave us with a poorer compromise service at Nobles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There have been some throw-away casual comments / assumptions about RDCH.

So, just a few things  here to consider :

It is busier than any time in its long history.

It has provided the mainstay of minor injury provision and  orthopaedic  clinics - and follow ups during the difficulties of the Pandemic.

The outpatient consulting rooms where these patients were seen were built with charitable funding.

The X-ray department was provided at no cost to the tax-payer and subsequent upgrades have been funded and will be funded from hospital charitable organisations. 

Martin ward ( refurbished at no cost to the tax payer by a hospital charity  is ussualy full with rehabilitation patients,  releasing beds in Nobles.

The Renal unit ( fully equipped at no cost to the tax payer by a hospital charity) is essential fo the Island  cope with increasing dialysis demands and provides dialysis cover for visitors for which their Health Trusts are charged .

The operating theatre ( provided at no cost to the tax payer, funded entirely by a hospital charity  ) provides whole-Island services including  Plastic Surgery.Prof Viaude - from Whiston Hosp., now resident here  carries out surgery here.Where previously patients had to travel off Island they can have this in Ramsey.
RDCH provides the Island’s dermatology service in the same facilities .. which were again funded by a  hospital charity.

The physio / occupational therapy unit  was built at no cost to the tax payer - again by the same local charity.

The equipment on Martin ward - ditto

The refurbishment of MIU, the entrance upgrade and the waiting room -ditto.

The emergency helicopter landing site - ditto

The car park extension -ditto.

There are dozens of other smaller items.

Remarkably well -supported.

There   is also something else which is not only special, it is  bordering on unique in the NHS these days:

Based  on what one can observe by the responses, and general demeanor  of  its staff ..morale does seem  high.

This observation was similar to the view when the Hospital  was independently reviewed a few years back where the report remarked in the

“ Enthusiasm  “ of its staff.

Even if that is  not specially acknowledged - or  celebrated, it at least needs careful analysis-   if only to see if it can be replicated elsewhere.

As an edit…

Somehow I managed to not mention  the Wound  Management Clinic -the jewel in RDCH’s crown for many.

From all over the Island, they see patients who have serious,  debilitating on- going problems.

Not gee -whizz, high tech stuff, but things that have a major ,very debilitating and profoundly  negative impact and depressing impact on life for some.

The unit has  a reputation of taking on - and succeeding in managing   “problems” that other agencies have, for whatever reason,  been unable to deal with.

-and largely their equipment has been obtained without troubling the tax- payer.That same source has funded attendance at off- Island training courses.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, hampsterkahn said:

here   is also something else which is not only special, it is  bordering on unique in the NHS these days:

Based  on what one can observe by the responses, and general demeanor  of  its staff ..morale does seem  high.

This observation was similar to the view when the Hospital  was independently reviewed a few years back where the report remarked in the

“ Enthusiasm  “ of its staff.

Even if that is  not specially acknowledged - or  celebrated, it at least needs careful analysis-   if only to see if it can be replicated elsewhere.

Nobles used to be like that - before:

a) the effective budget cut when the new hospital was opened, thus ensuring that the budget was “overspent” every year thereafter by approximately the same amount (resulting in pressures to “economise”) - and

b) the rise of the “Cult of the Managers”, at the expense of the front line staff - you know the effect that this continues to have on both budget and front line morale

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Nobles used to be like that - before:

a) the effective budget cut when the new hospital was opened, thus ensuring that the budget was “overspent” every year thereafter by approximately the same amount (resulting in pressures to “economise”) - and

b) the rise of the “Cult of the Managers”, at the expense of the front line staff - you know the effect that this continues to have on both budget and front line morale

What is Hoopers stance on this Manx care failing, the new DHSC and new team of senior management staff is supposed to make sure Manx Care do their job on budget.   Nothing changed just millions more for new management jobs and still millions over budget. 

• Thanks 1