Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I think this is more a sign of publicly funded healthcare in the British Isles failing than Manx Care. All they’ve done is put out a press release reminding people that they don’t have to go to Noble’s when there’s another facility available. 

No. It means that in reality they are eve more stretched than they want to admit. Government only issue media releases about negative news when things are really bad..otherwise they adopt to Ostrich policy and hope things blow over.

The health care service or “Manx Care” (ironic name) is a shambles. Yes, the UK is even worse in places, but it shouldn’t be beyond the whit and capability of a small self governing Island to get to grips with it.

8 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

but it shouldn’t be beyond the whit and capability of a small self governing Island to get to grips with it.

So what’s your solution? With approximately 10% of established posts in health and care across the UK vacant, with retirements pending, and with little significant increases in trainees and thus future inputs to the service. Not to mention Brexit and fewer European workers, covid (still, with staff absences) and it’s holiday season. 

Manx Care can be blamed for precisely none of that. How should they be ‘getting to grips with it’?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I think this is more a sign of publicly funded healthcare in the British Isles failing than Manx Care. All they’ve done is put out a press release reminding people that they don’t have to go to Noble’s when there’s another facility available. 

I agree with you it's the case right across the British Isles and Manx Care is an example. 

ETA I have massive respect for all of the island's healthcare staff. We need to be careful not to worsen morale. But we do need to admit the current system doesn't work ad it should.

I've said before that Government should be stopping all 'nice to have' expenditure and redirecting funds to health, education and police. 

They also need to get a grip on population growth and make sure it serves the needs of the island. No more retirees. 

This thread from someone far cleverer than me makes a lot of sense.

Edited by 0bserver

So what’s your solution? With approximately 10% of established posts in health and care across the UK vacant, with retirements pending, and with little significant increases in trainees and thus future inputs to the service. Not to mention Brexit and fewer European workers, covid (still, with staff absences) and it’s holiday season. 

Manx Care can be blamed for precisely none of that. How should they be ‘getting to grips with it’?

I agree wrighty, we are seeing at a local level, an ailment of the UK NHS in general. It's made worse by our location and our 'independence' from the UK system. 

One thing that has annoyed me is the way the NHS 'steals' qualified medical staff from other countries where they are needed, and seems unable to train sufficient staff themselves. Maybe you have more info on that front than I do?

One of my many injuries has opened up, I've tried treating it myself during the week to save bothering the doctor or A&E, and this morning I felt I really need to get it looked at, no A&E cover today, so I'll have another go at it. 

• Like 1

The general population go into other industries as they are paid better and the ethos in society is look to after number 1, not help others. Healthcare staff are underpaid, have irregular/unsociable hours and have to take a lot from the general public. No wonder people don’t want go into that sector of work.

Working in education now requires you to  try to understand the social issues driving children’s behaviour if you want make an impact. There are so many children suffering from emotional issues driven by dysfunctional families and society that teaching and keeping some sort of order in school is close to impossible.

• Thanks 1

There is only one obvious solution. Have an emergency budget, increase the top rate of income tax from 20% to 25%, and invest properly in the health service - pay front-line medical personnel properly to retain and attract. Not an instant remedy I appreciate, but this shambles can’t be sustained.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

I can't quite understand why, in this day and age and considering backlogs, GP surgeries, clinics and all other NHS facilities aren't operating 7 days a week where required. 

We haven’t got the staff to cover 5 days let alone 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

One of my many injuries has opened up, I've tried treating it myself during the week to save bothering the doctor or A&E, and this morning I felt I really need to get it looked at, no A&E cover today, so I'll have another go at it. 

Or get yourself up/down to Ramsey where they clearly have spare capacity.  Opening Hours 8am - 8pm daily including bank holidays.  There's a phone number if you want to check.  They'll probably tell you not to leave it so long next time, so if you go now they'll be marginally less annoyed.

Incidentally there does seem to be A&E cover at Nobles, it's just that it's clearly tightly-staffed and people with more minor stuff might be better going to Ramsey unless they want to risk waiting for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, quilp said:

I can't quite understand why, in this day and age and considering backlogs, GP surgeries, clinics and all other NHS facilities aren't operating 7 days a week where required. 

I think Wrighty has already very adequately answered that question.

However consider this : Take the number of hours needed per week to provide that level of service  you ( and we all) would ideally like.

Now divide that number that by the number of of staff you have.

For a rather bleaker picture , divide the hours to be covered by a figure that takes into account the staff - take GPs for example,  who are likely to retire in the next few years..

Edited by hampsterkahn

13 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

There is only one obvious solution. Have an emergency budget, increase the top rate of income tax from 20% to 25%, and invest properly in the health service - pay front-line medical personnel properly to retain and attract. Not an instant remedy I appreciate, but this shambles can’t be sustained.

Although I agree in principle, it would be better to increase NI to the same level as uk, and make retired people who are still working pay NI as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Although I agree in principle, it would be better to increase NI to the same level as uk, and make retired people who are still working pay NI as well. 

the NI threshold  in the UK is being raised according to the dailywail a few days ago.

Edited by WTF

33 minutes ago, quilp said:

There's not enough staff. There's a global shortage. 

You would burn out the existing staff if you tried to force a 7 day week.

It’s not about money primarily. Even if salaries were increased across the board (and if you’re going to to this I’d recommend far higher percentage rises for the lowest paid care assistants than for highly paid medics) we still wouldn’t be able to fill the roles. People tend to get comfortable where they are, so even if salaries were doubled, we wouldn’t be overwhelmed with staff from across wanting to relocate here on a permanent basis. 

It really is an intractable problem. 

• Like 1