Manx Care Has Failed

0bserver

And where is Lawrie Hooper MHK, The Isle of Man’s, Hide and Seek champion, I tell you where, at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.  I understand he is upset at Jason Moorhouse for stealing the spotlight.  Maybe he is waiting for Alex Allinson MHK to tell him what to do?  No, no, Alex Allinson MHK is too busy try to convince everyone the Isle of Man was in a ‘good position’ economically.  No, he’s waiting Ann Corlett MHK to convince people to relocate to the Isle of Man, then he can fill the vacancies. Just need to improve the transport links first.

Lawrie Hooper MHK has known for months that there is staffing issues at Nobles Hospital, especially within the A.E.D.  He, like so many of his predecessors have failed to address staffing issues, or give any reassurances to the front-line staff that their concerns are being addressed.  Let us not forget Manx Care said it is disappointed with the leak of the results of a British Medical Association survey which criticised the culture of the organisation, and still nothing is done to address concerns.

If you are not up to the job Mr. Hooper, step aside, you might even get re elected.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Identifying the cause of the problem is the easy is bit- recruiting  and retaining staff.

Tackling it is not so easy and not helped, I would imagine,  by the recent extraordinary and very widely published handling of the the anaesthetic tragedy and the Dr Ranson tribunal.

Surprisingly,I understand some UK Health Trusts, are seen as  even worse  employers! 

- to our benefit sometimes.

Edited by hampsterkahn

People cannot be forced to locate to the Island there is a shortage of medical staff everywhere in the British Isles.   I am sure Laurie Hooper would love a magic wand as a Birthday or Christmas present.   Before criticising try coming up with a solution…no…well that is a surprise you cannot knit medics…if this was a problem pequiliar to the Island it would be a different matter but when it is a issue effecting all neighbouring Islands it is a bit useless blaming any one person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

''You cannot knit medics''.

....but we used to breed them thru the 'pinky scheme'! Is that not good enough now? Got to be a Uni Grad?

Obviously recruiting new is the problem, same for teachers, have UK NHS researched why? The salary doesn't seem too bad compared with average, is it as Wrighty says, people can't be bothered to change track?

Would a Govt subsidy of the first years retraining help?

It seems like another case of 'We' complain about it but 'We' won't help??? There must be many min wage earners who would like to move up the job scale? Why not help them!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

It’s not about money primarily. Even if salaries were increased across the board (and if you’re going to to this I’d recommend far higher percentage rises for the lowest paid care assistants than for highly paid medics) we still wouldn’t be able to fill the roles. People tend to get comfortable where they are, so even if salaries were doubled, we wouldn’t be overwhelmed with staff from across wanting to relocate here on a permanent basis. 

It really is an intractable problem. 

Could you not muck in on weekends like this when there is a shortage of staff? Rather than post on here|?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

It’s not about money primarily. Even if salaries were increased across the board (and if you’re going to to this I’d recommend far higher percentage rises for the lowest paid care assistants than for highly paid medics) we still wouldn’t be able to fill the roles. People tend to get comfortable where they are, so even if salaries were doubled, we wouldn’t be overwhelmed with staff from across wanting to relocate here on a permanent basis. 

It really is an intractable problem. 

Actually, it is about money. Offer enough and people will relocate. However, you need to pay the ones already here a similar amount. It is always about money. 

• Like 1

we have become a medical backwater , big finance and gaming sector all on BUPA or similar , but no private medicine available , how do you expect to attract the best doctors and medical staff if there are no fringe benefits like a couple of hundred  thousand extra to be earned on the side , and living in a low tax   island ,

something radically wrong with the whole set up , hardly any local nurses working in the DHSS anymore , 

time for a total re thing , O'h and I only have 2 more years to wait for my next appointment , 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

You cannot knit medics''.

....but we used to breed them thru the 'pinky scheme'! Is that not good enough now? Got to be a Uni Grad?

I think “Pinkys” were cadet nurses, not doctors…I’m guessing Sid meant doctors when he typed medics (although I stand to be corrected…)

39 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Why do they persist with the so-called Ramsey Cottage Hospital? 

Close it down and transfer the staff to Nobles so we would have one almost fully staffed emergency department. 

As that's the Health Minister's constituency that is never going to happen. If anything he's probably developing plans to expand it.

• Like 1

Aren't they encouraging use of the Ramsey facility to take pressure off Nobles??? How urgent can treatment be if you drive to Douglas rather than seek the closer Ramsey facility?

How could closing Ramsey alleviate any such pressure???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Why do they persist with the so-called Ramsey Cottage Hospital? 

Close it down and transfer the staff to Nobles so we would have one almost fully staffed emergency department. 

actually Ramsey cottage does an excellent job and would be sorely missed , its also used the look after the bed blockers from Nobles  and now places like the Corrin home in Peel and all the other half way semi sheltered homes have been closed  we are going to get more of this , people are living longer but government seem to be infatuated by the Nursing home one size fits all model   costing either government or the  patient at least £ 1200 a week ,

most elderly  people  do not require full blown nursing care , but just someone to keep an eye on them  help with the washing and make sure they get enough to eat , 

but no  its the  most costly solution  every time with ,all the small  local community based units regulated out of  business 

Isle of Man solutions  for isle of Man problems , but the decision makers are all in the UK  sadly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3