Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

No I think I’m largely right that most people actively do not care and generally think the whole pronouns thing is a joke. If someone asked me to address them as ‘them’ I would generally make the assumption that they have mental health issues to the point that I would be unlikely to want to engage with ‘them’ anyway. A good chunk of this self identification thing is simply attention-seeking woke bullshit. 

Edited by Steady Eddie
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

No I think I’m largely right that most people actively do not care and generally think the whole pronouns thing is a joke. If someone asked me to address them as ‘them’ I would generally make the assumption that they have mental health issues to the point that I would be unlikely to want to engage with ‘them’ anyway. A good chunk of this self identification thing is simply attention-seeking woke bullshit. 

Amazing that you believe your "I think" is more valid than actual statistics.

As for the rest of the post, presumably you're a qualified psychologist with many years experience in the field of gender identity. You must be to so strongly assert something in complete disagreement with the vast body of professionals and experts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Amazing that you believe your "I think" is more valid than actual statistics.

Have you ever stopped to consider that anyone who actually stops to participate in a Stonewall Poll or finds and completes one online is likely to already be in a category that is going to be sympathetic to the poll objectives?

Also I don’t need to be a psychologist to opine that if someone wants to refer to themselves in the third person as ‘them’ then they’re probably pretty screwed up in the head and likely receiving some sort of therapy or psychological support. 

28 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Maybe the majority are insenstive assholes but I expect it's mostly people who've never really thought about it.  It's no more effort for you to refer to someone by their prefered pronoun than it is to refer to someone by their prefered name. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Have you ever stopped to consider that anyone who actually stops to participate in a Stonewall Poll or finds and completes one online is likely to already be in a category that is going to be sympathetic to the poll objectives?

Also I don’t need to be a psychologist to opine that if someone wants to refer to themselves in the third person as ‘them’ then they’re probably pretty screwed up in the head and likely receiving some sort of therapy or psychological support. 

Cherry picking the sources you don't like, and not even doing a good job of it because it's not a Stonewall Poll, it's NatCen's British Social Attitudes survey.

Uh, pronouns are for you to refer to people in the third person. The person with the pronouns is likely to be using I/me. D- for English ability and F- for psychology. Must try harder.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

Maybe the majority are insenstive assholes but I expect it's mostly people who've never really thought about it.  It's no more effort for you to refer to someone by their prefered pronoun than it is to refer to someone by their prefered name. 

But why do we even need to think about it? It isn’t really relevant is it whether someone is a man or a woman or a ‘them’ in any normal commercial or working situation. Using someones name is polite and respectful. The only time it’s relevant to know anyones preferred gender or sexual orientation is if you’re looking to shag them. That usually doesn’t happen when your making an over the counter banking transaction. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

But why do we even need to think about it? It isn’t really relevant is it whether someone is a man or a woman or a ‘them’ in any normal commercial or working situation. Using someones name is polite and respectful. The only time it’s relevant to know anyones preferred gender or sexual orientation is if you’re looking to shag them. That usually doesn’t happen when your making an over the counter banking transaction. 

It's unlikely that you've never used pronouns in a professional setting. Have you really never said something like "When I was talking to your colleague Dave, he said..."? It's possible, but not really plausible.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HeliX said:

It's unlikely that you've never used pronouns in a professional setting. Have you really never said something like "When I was talking to your colleague Dave, he said..."? It's possible, but not really plausible.

I can’t imagine why you’d need to in a banking setting like the Halifax. “Hi Dave. I’d like to take £500 out of my account please. Can you sort that out for me?” “Certainly Ed, do you have your debit card” “Yes here it is Dave should I put it in the card reader?” etc etc etc. There would be nothing disrespectful or rude in that conversation. There is certainly no need to ask Dave how Dave identifies or for Dave to tell me with a silly he/she/they/it/thing/fuck knows I haven’t made my mind up yet badge how Dave identifies as I literally don’t care. Neither is there any need at any time for me to know what the content of Dave’s pants are or are not. All you seem to be doing is highlighting the ridiculousness of the whole pronouns thing. I don’t need to know, neither do I care, how someone chooses to identify themselves in most general commercial settings in order to respect them as a person. 

Edited by Steady Eddie
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I can’t imagine why you’d need to in a banking setting like the Halifax. “Hi Dave. I’d like to take £500 out of my account please. Can you sort that out for me?” “Certainly Ed, do you have your debit card” “Yes here it is Dave should I put it in the card reader?” etc etc etc. There would be nothing disrespectful or rude in that conversation. There is certainly no need to ask Dave how Dave identifies or for Dave to tell me with a silly he/she/they/it/thing/fuck knows I haven’t made my mind up yet badge how Dave identifies as I literally don’t care. Neither is there any need at any time for me to know what the content of Dave’s pants are or are not. All you seem to be doing is highlighting the ridiculousness of the whole pronouns thing. I don’t need to know, neither do I care, how someone chooses to identify themselves in most general commercial settings in order to respect them as a person. 

The point is with it on a badge you don't need to ask. What about if you go into the bank, speak to Dave first,  clock his badge  but Dave refers you to another staff member.  You explain to the new staff member, starting with Dave's name having been referred to them by him/her/them you then go on to say "As I said to ?".  It would be good to give the right pronoun, particularly if Dave is witnessing the conversation, but also for the other staff member who will be accustomed to referring to Dave in a particular way.

It isn’t a huge issue, but handling it in the right way helps Dave and their colleague.  It is only a matter of courtesy and respect for everyone you deal with. 

• Like 3