Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

48 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

FFS…….

Yes you can follow the same methods and processes but an essential characteristic of Champagne is that it is made in the Champagne region of France.

So not only can you not call it Champagne.  It is not Champagne because it is missing that essential element that would make it Champagne.

Hope you understand now.

(I don’t think a Cornish Pasty has ever been allowed to be called Champagne)

That’s not quite how the protected name or area of production/origin  works.

You can make champagne but can’t sell it as champagne, at least not some countries or trading blocks.

Russia and India produce a sparkling wine using methode champenois, and wishin their internal markets it’s sold as champagne. But they can’t export to a lot of countries that recognise the French name and origin protection is enforceable.

Cava is sold in certain bits of Catalunya as Xampu in Xampanyerias. It’s thin ice and there’s an ongoing EU case. But they’ve been using those words for 120+ years

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

an essential characteristic of Champagne is that it is made in the Champagne region of France.

So not only can you not call it Champagne.  It is not Champagne because it is missing that essential element that would make it Champagne.

You can't sell it as champagne, but apart from that there's nothing special about the stuff that is basically double fermented white wine.  What 'essential element' do you refer to? Some sort of mystical quality that gets added due to where it is produced?

18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

You can't sell it as champagne, but apart from that there's nothing special about the stuff that is basically double fermented white wine.  What 'essential element' do you refer to? Some sort of mystical quality that gets added due to where it is produced?

Well the features of the Champagne region terroir (cool climate and chalky subsoils) apparently lend themselves to producing better quality of the three grape varieties used in Champagne.

Not a mystical quality but a physical one due to where it is produced. If this quality can’t be replicated in other areas it suggests that there is a uniqueness about Champagne and cheapo manky grapes from elsewhere won’t cut it

I didn’t make the bloody rules!

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well the features of the Champagne region terroir (cool climate and chalky subsoils) apparently lend themselves to producing better quality of the three grape varieties used in Champagne.

Not a mystical quality but a physical one due to where it is produced. If this quality can’t be replicated in other areas it suggests that there is a uniqueness about Champagne and cheapo manky grapes from elsewhere won’t cut it

Except there are plenty of places with the climate and chalky soils around the world that produce sparkling wines at least as good, and often better, than champagne.

If you can get a Russian extra sec it’s very good. But they mainly produce sweet stuff, as did Champagne when Russia was their largest market.

Californian, NZ and AUS “champagnes” often beat the French stuff, and almost any cava is better. Even English sparkling.

Unsurprisingly wines, even from the same terroir, change over decades with changing public taste.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except there are plenty of places with the climate and chalky soils around the world that produce sparkling wines at least as good, and often better, than champagne.

If you can get a Russian extra sec it’s very good. But they mainly produce sweet stuff, as did Champagne when Russia was their largest market.

Californian, NZ and AUS “champagnes” often beat the French stuff, and almost any cava is better. Even English sparkling.

Unsurprisingly wines, even from the same terroir, change over decades with changing public taste.

Is it wrong that I have an opinion of you like James Bond? Well travelled and knowledge on almost anything? 

32 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But you have fallen for the marketing hype!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Is it wrong that I have an opinion of you like James Bond? Well travelled and knowledge on almost anything? 

Yes. There’s plenty places I’ve not been and huge areas of lack of knowledge 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

If you can get a Russian extra sec it’s very good. 

I had 6 bottles of the stuff from 1992 on my second visit to MOW (wasn't stopped going through customs in LHR), intent on keeping it for special occasions because, as you say, it's cracking stuff and even in straightened times in MOW it was cheap as chips. Needless to say, it all disappeared within 6 months. It was a mistake to open the first of them... for some reason our house became the place to go to for birthdays, anniversaries etc. Bloody family!