Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, you misunderstand me. Where did I attribute views against partnerships marriage or consent to you?

The arguments then are directly related and analogous to those used against the slow and tortured advance of LGB equality and inclusion.

As for badges, it was you that alleged that LGB didn’t wear badges flaunting their sexuality. We did. We do. And very successfully. 

You said that my comments were identical to the ones used in the UK about 1967 which is bollocks.

Yes badges were part of the armory that eventually led to a growing acceptance of homosexuality. I did not allege that LGB activists did not wear badges at the time of greatest persecution. 

I am fucking furious as a supporter of gay rights that you feel it necessary to question my credentials.

• Haha 1

Unsurprisingly the use of badges, symbols, etc, by, and in support of, the LGBT community, is still subject to similar comments.

Heres some screen shots from a Waitrose FB page, today.

It’s indicative of an identical closed mindset.

140FDFB9-A68C-4B8C-BE39-2005AC348590.jpeg

2281E958-99B5-40BB-957D-CD8DBE86A80A.jpeg

51092609-983E-488C-97E0-92B21891014C.jpeg

E4484089-7A5D-4059-844D-ABEC269755B2.jpeg

0A9BFB8C-B8C8-4426-AF6E-C247ED0C5E04.jpeg

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

1. You said that my comments were identical to the ones used in the UK about 1967 which is bollocks.

2.Yes badges were part of the armory that eventually led to a growing acceptance of homosexuality. I did not allege that LGB activists did not wear badges at the time of greatest persecution. 

3. I am fucking furious as a supporter of gay rights that you feel it necessary to question my credentials.

1. They are identical. It isn’t bollocks.

2. They still are.

3. I don’t question your self declared credentials as a supporter now. Don’t know when your support started. I do note that your support of the rainbow continuum/collective is selective and limited.

Thats a bit like giving more respect  to coloureds than blacks in apartheid South Africa. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, John Wright said:

1. They are identical. It isn’t bollocks.

2. They still are.

3. I don’t question your self declared credentials as a supporter now. Don’t know when your support started. I do note that your support of the rainbow continuum/collective is selective and limited.

Thats a bit like giving more respect  to coloureds than blacks in apartheid South Africa. 

I’ll just answer number three. My support for gay rights started as soon as I developed a social conscience, continues to this day and is neither selective or limited

I always held you in high regard as I mentioned previously from meeting you nearly  forty years ago in a now long gone pub in Victoria Street.

I am disappointed. Let’s just leave it at that.

Enjoy your retirement 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Amendment to first paragraph

6 hours ago, Declan said:

You’re living in the upside down. 

Bully people into the recognising someone’s gender! What right have people to assert that their opinion of someone’s gender takes precedence over the individual’s own?

That’s bullying mate, it’s what playground tough guys do when the weakest boy gets called “Mary” or “she”. 

Its fairly obvious that many people quite rightly and sensibly believe there are only two genders - male and female. If someone who most likely has mental health issues wants to use the enforcement of pronouns to compel people to refer to them as ‘they’ then that’s their own problem I’d suggest. There should be no requirement for me to buy into someone else’s fantasy identity on the threat of being sacked.

Edited by Steady Eddie
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Its fairly obvious that many people quite rightly and sensibly believe there are only two genders - male and female. If someone who most likely has mental health issues wants to use the enforcement of pronouns to compel people to refer to them as ‘they’ then that’s their own problem I’d suggest. There should be no requirement for me to buy into someone else’s fantasy identity on the threat of being sacked.

Gender is a construct based on societal expectations. There doesn't seem to be any reason there should only be two - in fact many cultures have had 3 (or more) genders for centuries.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Gender is a construct based on societal expectations. There doesn't seem to be any reason there should only be two - in fact many cultures have had 3 (or more) genders for centuries.

But we should not be legally or contractually obliged to acknowledge someone’s self constructed fantasy identity. The whole thing third person call me ‘they’ as I don’t have a defined gender nonsense is just laughable bollocks. 

19 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Forgive me but I always thought that gender was based on genetalia and that was the reason there is only two. 
OK you may get the occasional hermaphrodite but that’s not a separate gender.

which are these cultures which have 3 or more ( 5.6 say) genders?

3 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

But we should not be legally or contractually obliged to acknowledge someone’s self constructed fantasy identity. The whole thing third person call me ‘they’ as I don’t have a defined gender nonsense is just laughable bollocks. 

Their gender is as self constructed as yours. Just yours happens to align with your birth sex (presumably).

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Forgive me but I always thought that gender was based on genetalia and that was the reason there is only two. 
OK you may get the occasional hermaphrodite but that’s not a separate gender.

which are these cultures which have 3 or more ( 5.6 say) genders?

Sex is based, mostly, on chromosomes. Gender is not, it's societally constructed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

14 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Their gender is as self constructed as yours 

You’re linking gender expression (external) and gender identity (internal) which doesn’t really work with the ‘them’s’. There’s only two possible genders to be assigned at birth so why are we now required to buy into someone’s fantasy gender expression? Most likely these people have serious mental health issues which result in the fantasy belief that they are neither male or female. 

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I would argue that gender is part social construct and part biology. But I'll do it when I'm sober.