Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

16 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I would argue that gender is part social construct and part biology. But I'll do it when I'm sober.

It's often informed by biology, but in a significant number of cases (millions of people worldwide) it doesn't correspond to their sexual biology, at least.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Sex is based, mostly, on chromosomes. Gender is not, it's societally constructed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

Your Wikipedia article refers to it being a concept. I will raise you with the Merriam-Webster dictionary definitions of concept as:-

”Something conceived in the mind”

“an abstract notion”

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

I don't think gay people are allowed to say the N word.

Read it again,  I refer to the 'Queer' term.

Don't ever try to twist my words Helix. You say what you have to and I'll say what I'm thinking about this.

Don't try to score points on your mis-interpretation of my comments!!!

Edited by Kopek

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Your Wikipedia article refers to it being a concept. I will raise you with the Merriam-Webster dictionary definitions of concept as:-

”Something conceived in the mind”

“an abstract notion”

Thank goodness you're here to completely demolish decades of scientific study into psychology and gender identity by taking issue over the wording of a wikipedia article and selectively quoting definitions of one of the words.

14 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Oh no, better not let TVOR see this, he'll be announcing that we're all non-gendered.

hdKqKLH.png

hPU1STf.png

Well if you don’t want me to see this you’re a little silly putting it on here!

I am only aware of two genders. If you think there are 3, 4, 5 or even 6 or more then that’s fine but you’ve not persuaded me that’s the case.

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Oh no, better not let TVOR see this, he'll be announcing that we're all non-gendered.

hdKqKLH.png

hPU1STf.png

I really would not be introducing the awful john money as a witness in any debate i hoped to win. A defender of pedophilia and complicit in the death of the Reimer twins, and he's an expert you cite?

1 minute ago, Hoops said:

I really would not be introducing the awful john money as a witness in any debate i hoped to win. A defender of pedophilia and complicit in the death of the Reimer twins, and he's an expert you cite?

I'm not sure you've read or understood my post. The Wikipedia entry for "Gender" refers to it as a "concept", which is the language that TVOR used to dismiss "Third gender" being valid because it was also referred to as a "concept".

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well if you don’t want me to see this you’re a little silly putting it on here!

I am only aware of two genders. If you think there are 3, 4, 5 or even 6 or more then that’s fine but you’ve not persuaded me that’s the case.

You don't think there are three genders, even though I demonstrated many cultures have had 3 genders for considerably longer than any of us have existed? Interesting.

Wiki! Wiki!!

What do you think about this situation???

Is it a philological state or a physiological state, I don't think that any of us outside that state can truly begin to understand the situation that we are not part of???

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Wiki! Wiki!!

What do you think about this situation???

Is it a philological state or a physiological state, I don't think that any of us outside that state can truly begin to understand the situation that we are not part of???

Well, gender is a social construct used to describe expected behaviours/characteristics. People who are transgender's gender doesn't match their biological sex. As for the cause of that - no idea. I don't think it's important to a conversation like this - it is important to the medical field to work out how best to help people, but it's irrelevant to my position. My position is that people should be treated with humanity and respect, regardless of race/sex/gender/whatever.

19 hours ago, HeliX said:

Gender is a construct based on societal expectations.

It isn’t even on the basis of some of the stuff you’ve linked to above. You’re saying that it’s entirely acceptable for people to now make up their gender and then demand that other people interact with them in a way that aligns to what they have made up in their head via use of made up pronouns. Just treat people as people -  male, female or whatever it really doesn’t matter. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HeliX said:

Well, gender is a social construct used to describe expected behaviours/characteristics. People who are transgender's gender doesn't match their biological sex. As for the cause of that - no idea. I don't think it's important to a conversation like this - it is important to the medical field to work out how best to help people, but it's irrelevant to my position. My position is that people should be treated with humanity and respect, regardless of race/sex/gender/whatever.

Is gender purely a social construct? Jan, formerly James, Morris described how her viewpoint changed as the balance of her hormones changed, suggesting gender has a lot more to do with biology then some would like to admit.

As for your last sentence, of course. But the seeming 'push' in some sections of some societies to put children who have expressed unhappiness/confusion in their sexuality/gender on to the path of puberty blockers/surgery can cause irreversible harm. I would say the massive difference between homosexuality and transgenderism is that, at it's final stage, the latter is physically permanent. This is not to belittle homosexuality in any way, but I have a friend who had a spell of same sex relationships but is now happily married to someone of the other sex.