Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The day will come when someone gets off being punished because they,her,him,whatever, complains they have not been addressed in the manner of that they,she,he,him whatever prefer.  

It’s happening already. Just look at JK Rowling one of the most successful writers ever and multi millionaire whose books and films have captured the imagination of millions of children and yet people are now too frightened to even say they’re associated with her work or her scripts because they’re frighten that a load of angry trannies will attack them on social media. The whole situation is ridiculous. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, TheTeapot said:

It's time the creamery pushed a bit harder. 

The vintage cheddar with the salt crystals is great, the mature makes good cheese on toast (with Franks red hot), the black pepper one is quite good.

But the red leicester is average (and the sainsburys shropshire red in shoprite kicks the crap out of it) the double Gloucester and mild chedder are bollocks and they don't seem to sell Druidale any more. And they made a mistake when they stuck fruit in it too, that Druidale was crying out for ginger not cranberries or apricot. The chilli chedders don't have the required kick either. And I don't know what they use for the 'smoked' chedder but come on, smoke it in the fish yards. Get it silly.

You can buy French brie style soft cheeses from dairies in Northern Ireland and Cornwall, so how about having a go at one of those? Or get some blue mold ripping though something.

Our cows are grass fed open pasture for most of the year (though you can tell by the milk taste when theyre on silage). Theres a big market for both decent quality standard cheese and for things a bit different.

Well maybe the Creamery took notice, because earlier this week it was reported:

The Isle of Man Creamery wants to know which of its cheeses you like most.

They're asking anyone who considers themselves a connoisseur to come forward.

The Creamery also wants to know if there are any retired cheeses you think should make a comeback.

Naturally, being Manx Radio they didn't bother to inform us how we should do this.

Incidentally I vaguely remember that, probably before you were born, the smoked cheese was actually smoked in the kipper yards and you could see this because of the way it was much more heavily coloured on the outside.

(And you're right about Druidale)

• Like 2

Didn't they have to tone down the 'smoked' flavour some time ago? What is the point of 'smoked' if it isn't smokey? Have sales improved since the change?

I'm not a fan of Manx cheese or it's varieties, far too Cheddary for me. Commercially I used the mature Manx albeit with some Edam in there to reduce the fat and improve the gooey melt for toasties.

I use soft and blue from France and Italy, I'm not sure that we could compete for those cheeses? I would take some persuading!

I have heard that the crumbly Caerphilly or Lancs is missed.

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just buy Stilton Cheese. It’s freely available in most major Island supermarkets and independent locations.

I do, but that doesn't spread the variety of Manx cheeses. You could say the same about any of the other varieties. 

Maybe they could make the veins more purple and produce an homage to the Purple Helmets? "Manx Purple Helmet Cheese" yum!

• Haha 3