Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They aren't my views but I'm expressing an opinion on how others peoples views need to be dealt with. I don't believe they had the pronoun thing in the 1970s either unless you're very badly trying to equate racism which is the expression of offensive views in relation to a racial profile someone can't change with someone failing to acknowledge how one person voluntarily chooses to identify to others. Which would be very wrong and silly.

Sorry, knee jerk post because it's something I feel strongly about.

Replied to your subsequent post and I think John has said similar. None of this is being mandated. At work we have the choice of whether to use pronouns, wear a pride t-shirt and so on. The fact so many people do now shows how far as a society we've come. 

On the racism point, I wasn't equating with that, more an old fashioned mind set. But getting someone's chosen pronouns wrong (and some people do so deliberately) can be just as offensive to the person involved. I know the whole pronouns, gender identity area is a polarising topic but it's important to know it matters, whether you think it's rubbish or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

in fact most banks literally do not care about their staff at all.

I'll pull you up on that one. I care immensely about my team and I've been provided with many opportunities for development. I can't say I've ever seen someone not cared about in the just over 20 years I've been there. 

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Sorry but it is clearly being mandated and in a commercial setting as well which I think is wrong. I understand JWs respect point but there are several ways of being respectful without your service provider enforcing it.

On the pronouns thing where have I said its rubbish? I said I'm sure some older people can't even grasp the concept. That's not saying its rubbish its saying that its literally only been an issue in the last 10 years and its going to take the older demographic a long time to catch up because its a fairly new concept that they haven't grown up with any connection to. That's all. But commercial organisations enforcing codes of behaviour on people in order to obtain zero tolerance compliance isn't the way to go. Its up to society to educate people I don't think it has any role in a commercial setting. 

I didn't mean you said it was rubbish - just generalising that some people do.

I stand by my comment that it is not mandated. Everyone has a choice - if someone wants to put their pronouns on a badge they can. That's the bank being inclusive for their staff. Customers are simply asked to respect that choice. Most will. It's when it becomes abuse that it's an issue, believe me it happens, and it's awful for those impacted. That's abuse in general, for whatever reason: race, sexuality, getting in a rant about pronouns, the queue etc. And quite frankly, any business should have the right to refuse their services to anyone being abusive. 

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Sorry but it is clearly being mandated and in a commercial setting as well which I think is wrong. I understand JWs respect point but there are several ways of being respectful without your service provider enforcing it.

On the pronouns thing where have I said its rubbish? I said I'm sure some older people can't even grasp the concept. That's not saying its rubbish its saying that its literally only been an issue in the last 10 years and its going to take the older demographic a long time to catch up because its a fairly new concept that they haven't grown up with any connection to. That's all. But commercial organisations enforcing codes of behaviour on people in order to obtain zero tolerance compliance isn't the way to go. Its up to society to educate people I don't think it has any role in a commercial setting. 

To be clear, the bank wasn't forcing anyone to do or say anything. They were telling people who were abusive to their staff that they could go bank somewhere else. Whether they were abusive over pronouns or anything else, that's the right response.

I can't help but feel you're arguing a strawman point about a bank trying to tell people what to think. It isn't. It's just a bank telling people they can't be abusive to their staff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kevster said:

What's the problem? It's just the same cheese in a special wrapper

Exactly ( well it’s claimed it is some sort of special cheese)

But I think IOM Creameries in doing this could  be accused of some sort of cynical marketing ploy.

Why employ groceries in the fight against discrimination?

If the company wishes to make a charitable donation to this (laudable) cause why don’t they just do that?

I support gay rights and equality but that does not influence my choice of cheese.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

FFS, Is this a joke?

No 10% of the sale price goes to Pride IOM. Obviously they haven’t been able to get any corporate sponsors so now we’re left with a gay cheese initiative highly worthy of government marketing people. I’m not sure what attraction to cheese has to do with being LGBTQ+ but hopefully it’s not all about knob cheese favours.

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Good on the Creamery it is a way that they can show support and hopefully contribute some cash to a good cause.   

It looks like no real initiative though all they seem to be doing is riding the current bandwagon to sell a bit more expensive cheese. I was just wondering what resonance expensive cheese had for the LGBTQ+ community. 

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

It looks like no real initiative though all they seem to be doing is riding the current bandwagon to sell a bit more expensive cheese. I was just wondering what resonance expensive cheese had for the LGBTQ+ community. 

It doesn't have anything to do with the LGBTQ+ community. It's just showing some solidarity and donating a percentage of the proceeds at the same time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

You are missing out on the growing requirement for companies to address their governance, role in society and how they impact their stakeholders, including their employees, suppliers, wider society as well as their shareholders. This is indeed mandated for large UK companies (which would cover Halifax)  by the s172 requirements of the UK Companies Act 2006.

Although this requirement does not apply to companies other than large companies, it will set the standard for best practice for all companies.

There are also codes of best corporate governance and Environmental Social Governance. 

There is a huge drive to address all these issues across the corporate world, so as to avoid some of the corporate scandals we have seen and also to recognise that companies have an impact on the society in which they operate.  Demonstrable  inclusivity, diversity and responsibility are big items now. 

Very simply for Halifax, they have decided that it is in the interests of their employees to be addressed by customers with respect and by their preferred pronoun.  Why would they argue the toss about that with a customer who complained?  At the end of the day, does it meaningfully impact on their service level to the customer? 

It is a small but important part of getting big business to clean up their act and not think of chasing profit as their main objective.  Hence, we see things like  supermarkets pushing on recycling and reduce on packaging and larger supermarkets take plastic packaging for recycling that cannot be recycled at home, and so on. 

These things may not be legislated here, yet, but why not be ahead of the curve?  So if the Creamery wants to change its packaging and donate some of the profit to Pride IOM, how is that in any way offensive?

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1