Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

You work part time. How much flexibility do you need? By far the most people who participate in this sort of cynical nonsense do it in their own time at weekends and are coerced into it. As for the UK legislation it all doesn’t apply here. 

I haven't seen any coercion to do it in employees' own time by my current employer or previous employers.

I know the UK legislation doesn't apply here, but I was giving context for Halifax and also hoped that the IOM would either voluntarily follow the same route, or legislate.  TBH, a lot of the bigger private sector employers here will be part of a group that will have adopted these policies at group level anyway. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

To you maybe who seems to have been programmed by the bank you work for to believe you’re achieving something for mankind over and above selling banking services to people who need banking services. 

I value being given time by my employer to go and volunteer in the community. I also value giving people in my team the opportunity to do so. Many local charities are extremely grateful for this. An event last year raised thousands for local causes.

I really struggle to see what your problem is with this?

Again, it's not mandated, it's a choice. So why the hostility?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You could be with friends in your own time or down the pub enjoying yourself. I feel sorry for you trying to crawl the slippery corporate ladder by picking shit off a beach thinking you’re actually going to get somewhere.

So, which would you prefer, staff do it in their working time (at the employer's cost) or in their own time?  

Whenever I see stuff like the pride cheese, I’m torn between thinking “oh that’s nice” and “oh that’s clever marketing”. It’s a bit cheesy you must  admit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

You could be with friends in your own time or down the pub enjoying yourself. I feel sorry for you trying to crawl the slippery corporate ladder by picking shit off a beach thinking you’re actually going to get somewhere.

I volunteer in work time, not my own, because I am given that time, at a cost to my employer.

I enjoy my own time with my mates down the pub thank you, where I can totally switch off from work.

I've got where I want to be in my career thank you. Because my employer has given me opportunities to undertake qualifications and development (at their cost). All skills that are transferable should I want to move or find myself redundant.

• Like 1

As a friend of mine said, without any intention of humour “I don’t care if someone is gay, I just don’t want it rammed down my throat”. Times have changed and whilst some prejudices still exist, the vast majority of us couldn’t care less if someone is gay, lesbian, bisexual or whatever. It’s irrelevant to our relationship with them in a personal or professional context. We are turning full circle again and reaching a point where sexuality and sexual preference is being seen as a defining characteristic. It isn’t and it shouldn’t be. A simple name on a badge is all we need to know. Pronouns are entirely irrelevant. 
I saw a photograph of someone at a Pride march wearing a multi-coloured costume with many penises attached to it. It occurred to me that humans are complex and supposedly intelligent creatures capable of fantastic creativity and innovation; capable of developing intense and loving relationships; exercising great care and compassion, as well as great evil. But there was a man parading himself in public and happy at reducing himself to a representation of an erect cock. It’s sadly pathetic and indicative of an identification based on only a passing and trivial aspect of existence. In an age where trivia, presentation and gesture are more important than substance, badges and cheese packaging take on additional “meaning”.  It doesn’t really matter to me and I’m sorry it does to others. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

FFS, Is this a joke?

There is about as much need for this as there is for a special IOM cheese supporting Penguin rights in the Southern hemisphere.

WHY?

I REALLY MEAN WHY?

Marketing. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

No, but the junior bank worker, and all the bank staff up to Branch Manager, CEO and chair, are entitled to be shown respect and referred to by their correct chosen pronoun, whether it be he/him, she/her, or they/them.

I put he/him/his on my internal phonebook. At first I was uncomfortable doing this because I thought it would look like I was saying that something was wrong with she/her/hers, like I would be insulted to be misgendered. And also I worried that it would force trans people to identify before they were ready. However a trans woman told me that if CIS folk identify their gender it makes it unexceptional for them. It's really no difference to a name badge saying Mr Joe Bloggs or Mrs Jo Bloggs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

However a trans woman told me that if CIS folk identify their gender it makes it unexceptional for them. It's really no difference to a name badge saying Mr Joe Bloggs or Mrs Jo Bloggs. 

I think the whole thing is fairly pointless and just a silly fad to be honest. What’s wrong with just using someone’s name? We’re all used to name badges. Why do I have to have some sort of guide to someones preferred gender pronoun on top? To me it’s just silly and pointless. I don’t need to know how someone chooses to identify themself in order to interact with them in a respectful way in any setting? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, joebean said:

As a friend of mine said, without any intention of humour “I don’t care if someone is gay, I just don’t want it rammed down my throat”. Times have changed and whilst some prejudices still exist, the vast majority of us couldn’t care less if someone is gay, lesbian, bisexual or whatever. It’s irrelevant to our relationship with them in a personal or professional context. We are turning full circle again and reaching a point where sexuality and sexual preference is being seen as a defining characteristic. It isn’t and it shouldn’t be. A simple name on a badge is all we need to know. Pronouns are entirely irrelevant. 
I saw a photograph of someone at a Pride march wearing a multi-coloured costume with many penises attached to it. It occurred to me that humans are complex and supposedly intelligent creatures capable of fantastic creativity and innovation; capable of developing intense and loving relationships; exercising great care and compassion, as well as great evil. But there was a man parading himself in public and happy at reducing himself to a representation of an erect cock. It’s sadly pathetic and indicative of an identification based on only a passing and trivial aspect of existence. In an age where trivia, presentation and gesture are more important than substance, badges and cheese packaging take on additional “meaning”.  It doesn’t really matter to me and I’m sorry it does to others. 

Hit the nail on the head.  I and most people couldn't care less if you're gay, bi, tri, are called Steve but want to be Stephanie, wear whatever you want.    It's more the fact that it is now deemed as something that is a defining characteristic segregates you willing from the 'normals' when surely everyone just wants to be treated the same.  Everyone wants to be special nowadays and this just seems to be another way of setting yourself apart from others.  

You wouldn't have your religion on your name badge, so why your pronoun?  For instance if I'm dealing with a Hindu, I might use the honorific Sri instead of Mr.  Or I might not.  I can't see how they would be that bothered either way. 

If Mr Steve wants to be Mrs Steve not a problem, but frankly I'll just call them Steve.  Who really uses formal Mr & Mrs etc nowadays anyway in day to day life unless you're in Court or something?  

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

Marketing. 

Gay washing...