Isle of Man Creamery ‘Pride’ cheese

Steady Eddie

22 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I think the whole thing is fairly pointless and just a silly fad to be honest. What’s wrong with just using someone’s name? We’re all used to name badges. Why do I have to have some sort of guide to someones preferred gender pronoun on top? To me it’s just silly and pointless. I don’t need to know how someone chooses to identify themself in order to interact with them in a respectful way in any setting? 

Only that you need to know how to address them without their name he, she or they.

I was on a staff Zoom (a comedian was doing an online gig) thing earlier this year.  Everyone's preferred pronoun was next to their name.  There was someone online whose preferred pronoun was not obvious from their physical presentation.  Given it was a social event and meant to be a pleasure and do some team building and morale boosting , it was easy just to take note and refer to them by their preference.

Edited by Gladys

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I like that headline though. 

They can stick their pronouns up their/his/her a**e. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Only that you need to know how to address them without their name he, she or they.

I literally couldn’t care and I don’t know why I’m expected to care? People have names so what’s wrong with just using peoples names to address them with? And to be honest the only thing a they/them pronoun suggests to me is that someone probably has serious mental health issues to want to refer to themselves in the third person. And I’m sure that’s the same for a lot of people.

Anyway back to the cheese. I’ll be doing my bit by buying some gay cheese so that the 10% premium I pay on already expensive cheese goes to support Pride. It’s a sad marketing gimmick and nothing else. 

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I literally couldn’t care and I don’t know why I’m expected to care? People have names so what’s wrong with just using peoples names to address them with? And to be honest the only thing a they/them pronoun suggests to me is that someone probably has serious mental health issues to want to refer to themselves in the third person. And I’m sure that’s the same for a lot of people.

Anyway back to the cheese. I’ll be doing my bit by buying some gay cheese so that the 10% premium I pay on already expensive cheese goes to support Pride. It’s a sad marketing gimmick and nothing else. 

Do you exclusively use their names?  Most people use the name first to identify who they are talking about, then pronouns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Unbrielievably so. 

Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to diss-a-brie, I cheddar the world and the feta cheese, everybody's looking for Stilton

with thanks to the Eurythmics...

Edited by Passing Time
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

As a friend of mine said, without any intention of humour “I don’t care if someone is gay, I just don’t want it rammed down my throat”.

That's quite often code for "I don't think I'm homophobic but I don't want to see gay people represented in media, or out holding hands with each other in the street."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do you exclusively use their names?  Most people use the name first to identify who they are talking about, then pronouns. 

I don’t think I’ve ever used anyones pronouns to address them with since about 1985 when we generally stopped calling people “Mr” such and such or “Mrs” such and such at work. I might call someone “mate” but then again they aren’t my mate in a general friendship sense or anyone I intend to physically mate with. I use peoples names. The whole thing above is literally preposterous. Most people think it’s preposterous and I can understand the backlash the likes of Halifax is getting when it gets a load of wokey millennial dicks to preach and issue threats to its customers. Quite simply 90% of people simply don’t care so why make it an issue?

3 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I don’t think I’ve ever used anyones pronouns to address them with since about 1985 when we generally stopped calling people “Mr” such and such or “Mrs” such and such at work. I might call someone “mate” but then again they aren’t my mate in a general friendship sense or anyone I intend to physically mate with. I use peoples names. The whole thing above is literally preposterous. Most people think it’s preposterous and I can understand the backlash the likes of Halifax is getting when it gets a load of wokey millennial dicks to preach and issue threats to its customers. Quite simply 90% of people simply don’t care so why make it an issue?

I don't think you're right there.

https://lgbt.foundation/evidence/british-social-attitudes-survey-36-relationships-and-gender-attitudes-to-transgender-people/57

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/07/16/where-does-british-public-stand-transgender-rights

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/about-us/news/new-report-tells-us-how-public-actually-feel-about-trans-people

32 minutes ago, HeliX said:

That's quite often code for "I don't think I'm homophobic but I don't want to see gay people represented in media, or out holding hands with each other in the street."

Maybe, but it was 20 or more years ago. Things are different now. 

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Good on the Creamery it is a way that they can show support and hopefully contribute some cash to a good cause.   Why do people take the proverbial out of anyone or any company that show initiative and try to do a bit of good in the miserable world we live in ?

Isle of Man Creamery are being woke and right-on down with the kids.

They pulled their advertising from Stu Peters' Manx Radio show after his remark for which he was found to have done nothing wrong. I just see their product in a different way now. Yes, the cheese is nice, I can't deny, but I have got used to trying others and haven't touched IoM Creamery cheese since, and will only buy their milk if it is all that is left on the shelf. That's me being small-minded but it is treating like with like.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

I think the whole thing is fairly pointless and just a silly fad to be honest. What’s wrong with just using someone’s name? We’re all used to name badges. Why do I have to have some sort of guide to someones preferred gender pronoun on top? To me it’s just silly and pointless. I don’t need to know how someone chooses to identify themself in order to interact with them in a respectful way in any setting? 

It avoids embarrasment when people accidently misgender someone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Gladys asked "Do you exclusively use their names?" Gladys asserted most people use the name first to identify who they are talking about, "then" Gladys said "pronouns".