Foster Care

Manx Bean

I was startled and shocked reading this - specifically, that there had been a recruitment freeze for four years on foster carers! WTAF! Where it comes to vulnerable young people, how can there be such thing as a recruitment freeze??!

Hang your head in shame IOMG/Manx Care whatever name you are calling yourself today.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/shortage-of-foster-carers-on-the-isle-of-man/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

I was startled and shocked reading this - specifically, that there had been a recruitment freeze for four years on foster carers! WTAF! Where it comes to vulnerable young people, how can there be such thing as a recruitment freeze??!

Hang your head in shame IOMG/Manx Care whatever name you are calling yourself today.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/shortage-of-foster-carers-on-the-isle-of-man/

As usual I'm shocked but not surprised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

As usual I'm shocked but not surprised.

As usual you need government permission even to do good in the IOM. I wouldn’t have thought there was much recruitment involved to be honest either. You either want to be a foster cater or you don’t. It’s not really something government is going to induce you into and if it was like that you’re probably the wrong person to be a foster career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

As usual you need government permission even to do good in the IOM. I wouldn’t have thought there was much recruitment involved to be honest either. You either want to be a foster cater or you don’t. It’s not really something government is going to induce you into and if it was like that you’re probably the wrong person to be a foster career.

Except as a foster care you are entitled to financial support from the Government..which costs money..so no doubt the bean counters in Treasury put that saving ahead of children’s welfare, or can someone correct me?

52 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Except as a foster care you are entitled to financial support from the Government..which costs money..so no doubt the bean counters in Treasury put that saving ahead of children’s welfare, or can someone correct me?

Yes but nobody does it for the money so that’s largely irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Yes but nobody does it for the money so that’s largely irrelevant. 

Of course people don’t. But for some they cant afford to be a foster carer without some financial support. But my criticism is wider than that. How can they have had a conscious recruitment freeze when there was a demand?

• Like 3

Many of the children and young people who need foster placements can present special challenges for foster parents, so there is a need for training and support to prevent placements breaking down. Not enough has been spent on this. Foster carers are also pressured into taking on longer term care because adoption services are poor, which in turn decreases the number of foster carers. The whole area has been underfunded for years, and the quality of social workers has been very inconsistent, often because of their unmanageable workloads.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, daphnetmckinney said:

It's unfortunate that there has been a shortage of foster carers on the Isle of Man, but hopefully, with increased awareness and support, more people will step up to fill that gap. I recommend you check out fostering in Oregon also.

It's unfortunate that we have produced a society where there are so many children in need of foster care.

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Are there large numbers of children needing foster care?

There are apparently; not enough foster carers to meet the demand.  Even if there is only one child not getting proper foster care, it is too much.  

Don't know how they are doing in Oregon though.