JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy

Amadeus

6 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Yes - 

Twatter is the Facebook of older people.

Statistics show Facebook is the Facebook of older people.  Twitter is the Facebook of media types with too much time on their hands (ie all of them).

The whole thing looks like a mock-up though - I'm not sure those two are even on twittering terms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Are they just taking the piss out of each other, or is this people seriously getting offended with each other? I'm afraid I can't tell anymore where all this is concerned.

Surely they're joking.  They've been 'triggered' by a flag that seems to have no relevance to the discussion, other than it's got 3 legs and they're talking about thirds.  Although as you've said, it's difficult to tell nowadays. 

I'm assuming it's something to do with a third gender?  To be fair JK does have proven skills writing about fantasy. 

Rowling has notoriously outspoken views on the transgender community and comes across as not a very nice person. Will be to do with that.

What it's got to do with the Manx flag I have no idea as it seems a bit odd, as well as the surrounding comments.

Just now, jackwhite said:

Rowling has notoriously outspoken views on the transgender community and comes across as not a very nice person. Will be to do with that.

What it's got to do with the Manx flag I have no idea as it seems a bit odd, as well as the surrounding comments.

Maybe she's recommending our gay/drag cheese?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

She worth about £800M she likely thinks she can say what she likes and doesn’t really need to be bothered about what some silly wokes bleat about on Twitter. 

People are woke because they think she shouldn't have an agenda against their community? 

You do actually understand the meaning of the word woke?

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

She worth about £800M she likely thinks she can say what she likes and doesn’t really need to be bothered about what some silly wokes bleat about on Twitter. 

For someone who's not bothered she spends a lot of time acting very bothered on Twitter.

41 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Are they just taking the piss out of each other, or is this people seriously getting offended with each other? I'm afraid I can't tell anymore where all this is concerned.

Julie Bindel is a radical feminist and on the same side of the debate on trans as Rowling. I think they're both mocking the trans rights movement by throwing about nonsense terms and acronyms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, HeliX said:

For someone who's not bothered she spends a lot of time acting very bothered on Twitter.

I just don't understand it.

Have seen several incidents recently that have made me question people. However I'm very much of the opinion that whatever their view they are entitled to their own opinion. 

When they try to then enforce that opinion on others, particularly as I feel as is the case here where they have a very public persona and platform to do so and influence people, then that becomes something completely different.

I witnessed an incident of transphobia a couple of weeks back by a local business. When I called them out on it they said it was the way they were brought up and their beliefs. I said I was brought up with actually the same beliefs but now think for myself rather than what I've been told. It was blamed on religion on this case. It's odd how much aggression arises from 'faith'.  I then questioned why they felt the need to express that opinion out loud, more importantly actually attacking someone verbally because of who they are. You can imagine how that went down. I just can't fathom how people can get so wound up about these sort of things. Look at the likes of Pride in London at the weekend where people were out enjoying themselves including our very own recently famous islander (and good on him too). However there were anti community protesters there, mostly very elderly. How at that age you can be so angry about someone expressing their own sexuality that you actually think to take to the streets in protest rather than try and enjoy what little time you have left, I have no idea. 

The likes of JKR won't give a second thought as to how the comments she makes could lead to this sort of incident. To be clear I'm not saying it was the cause in this instance. This was just an ignorant and not very nice person.

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

She doesn’t really have an agenda. It’s just something made up by some silly cancel culture wokes who don’t like their views being challenged on social media. As for that exchange it’s clearly a piss take between both parties. 

Do you actually know anything about this or are you just giving us your opinion based on these tweets? Have you read the previous comments by her or seen it covered in the news or anything similar?

She absolutely does have an agenda and doesn't recognise transgender or their right to their own identity. Even if that is the case, it's fine. She doesn't have to use Twitter or her fame to further that agenda.

• Thanks 1

I don’t really get Twitter and the people that follow so called celebrities.   Katie Price for instance she is a star according to the gutter press, Daily Wail, I don’t remember her having a career in anything but her every move is monitored and reported on .   In the day to be a star you had to have appeared in films or recorded hit songs ,proved you had talent….crazy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Katie Price for instance she is a star according to the gutter press, Daily Wail, I don’t remember her having a career in anything but her every move is monitored and reported on .  

That is her career. Generating stories about her life for money and leveraging that into other commerical realms is her talent. Sadly.