JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy

Amadeus

15 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

A lot of them probably are mentally unwell which is what she’s saying. 

Lots of islanders are unwell, both physically and mentally. Caused in part by the actions of IOMG, of which Ms Barber is part of. Perhaps she has some responsibility? 

As an aside, if (example) JK Rowling wanted to purchase a house on the island or even locate.im here, you can bet your bottom dollar that you will have politicos and IOMG wetting themselves excited at the thought of a HNWI, and hoping that some Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts stardust would rub off onto them. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

Of course, the other party in this, Julie Bindel believes that 'sexuality is a choice', and that one can choose to be gay or straight. How wonderful does she sound?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/is-sexual-orientation-a-choice-9582897.html

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/04/julie-bindel-being-gay-is-a-choice-i-chose-to-live-my-life-as-a-lesbian/comments/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Of course, the other party in this, Julie Bindel believes that 'sexuality is a choice', and that one can choose to be gay or straight. How wonderful does she sound?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/is-sexual-orientation-a-choice-9582897.html

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/04/julie-bindel-being-gay-is-a-choice-i-chose-to-live-my-life-as-a-lesbian/comments/

She sounds like someone with an opinion on something. The sort of person that some people seem to think shouldn’t be allowed to express views they don’t support on any public platform and be bullied into submission by the thought police. You can’t stop people from having or expressing views even if you don’t agree with them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

JK Rowling liked this tweet, as a good example.

She doubled down after that, praising Magdalen.

When you're on a public platform, as a prominent figure, it's reasonable to expect scrutiny. Especially when your work had resonated with the LGBT community.

EhyrjN0XkAAVD0R.jpg

well, it was interesting how vilified the ex head of the NAACP was when it was realised she was actually white, only identified as black. It wasn't her story to tell..........................................

4 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

She sounds like someone with an opinion on something. The sort of person that some people seem to think shouldn’t be allowed to express views they don’t support on any public platform and be bullied into submission by the thought police. You can’t stop people from having or expressing views even if you don’t agree with them.

There's a bit of a difference between expressing views and effectively saying 'I don't think bisexual people exist, you just need to make your mind up on who you prefer'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoops said:

well, it was interesting how vilified the ex head of the NAACP was when it was realised she was actually white, only identified as black. It wasn't her story to tell..........................................

So, are you suggesting that, affirming your gender and being called by your right name, is equivalent to appropriating another history and culture?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Government ministers shouldn't be getting involved in stupid Twitter rows and taking them seriously. Alf needs to have a word with her.

Is she rowing or just showing support for the islands LGBT+ community as part of her role with Isle of Pride? She has done a lot to support LGBT+ youth on the island, some of whom suffer in silence because of the views forced on them by their own families or things they see on social media, or on here.

Sadly some of those young people may take their own lives. I've seen what it does - it destroys families.

No wonder those who do feel free to be themselves usually end up leaving the island.

We've come a long way in 30 years but there's still a way to go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

JK Rowling liked this tweet, as a good example.

She doubled down after that, praising Magdalen.

When you're on a public platform, as a prominent figure, it's reasonable to expect scrutiny. Especially when your work had resonated with the LGBT community.

EhyrjN0XkAAVD0R.jpg

Oh I say!. Steady on there.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Are those with mental illness specifically within the LGBTQIA+ community, or does Minister Barber care only for specific groups on the island, and the rest of the island, who may not define themselves as LGBTQIA+, can have second rate treatment? No doubt I’ll be criticised for these comments. 

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well that’s what I was asking. I wonder what she meant as it doesn’t read well. 

She's referring to the follow up comment by Bindel taking the piss out of PTSD.

22 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Wow someone liked someone else’s Tweet. Or perhaps she’s free to like or not like anything she chooses? It’s hard to see why some people are getting so bent out of shape about Tweets that are being deliberately made to wind people up just like the Manx flag one at the start of this thread. It’s a piss take and then a load of idiotic wokes get triggered and go absolutely ballistic all over Twitter about a post that was made with the specific intent of winding them up. Oh the irony.

As for Rowling she’s worth £800M so I’m sure she doesn’t actually give a shit about any of the fuss being made by stupid lefty activist trolls. 

You're right, we should all be able to mock and deride marginalised groups, especially if we have a large platform to do it from.

And it gives us even more right to if members of these marginalised groups used to be fans of the work that we made our millions from. That definitely won't backfire on us.

Plus, get this, if we call them snowflakes and trolls, it automatically means they're wrong. It's a flawless plan.

Also, we're in the spotlight, people have to be nice about our opinions. They shouldn't be allowed to disagree with them on the same scale we can publish them on.

It wasn't that long ago that we were actively imprisoning gay people, their lifestyle being seen as unfit for public consumption. It was 'lefty activist trolls' that worked incredibly hard for those rights too.

• Like 4

There are sadly many groups in Manx Society, religious organisations and racial groups which need protecting from bigots. Perhaps they could have some attention. I’m not just talking about disabled people who can’t get on the bus. 

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m in the Ricky Gervais school of thought on it in that people just need to stop being offended by everything (or actively looking for offense in everything) and accept that sometimes you’re going to hear some views you don’t like as that’s life you can’t censor everything you don’t like. Half the time as I’ve said with Rowling she’s happily triggering these idiots who try to twist every word she says. And she’s having the last laugh in her multi million pound house, and her yacht, and her massive pile of hard earned cash from being one of the best authors of the 20th Century. 

One of the tenets of comedy is that you should always punch up.

Plus, she isn't a comedian.

So, not a great comparison really...