JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy

Amadeus

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If she’s trans it’s lobolokova.

Really?  Do these gendered languages/names default which gender in the case of trans?

Genuinely interested and/or confused for these languages.  

Edited by The Phantom

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I have no problem with Manx Care funding most treatment, and whilst I do appreciate and am sympathetic to the mental health plight with those transitioning, it is something is right if they are refusing to fund certain treatment. I 

I’m not sure they are refusing to fund. I’m aware of people who have received treatment on the NHS here. It just seems to be one attention-seeker trying to profile themselves in order to sting people for money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

There are people who are in agony or literally at death's door who have to go through the whole patient plane transfer palaver to the UK and this person is frustrated there is no gender clinic her.  I'm sure all those other people who are actually sick are pretty frustrated too, but it's not front page news is it. 

Crowd funding seems to be the way of choice for these people with platforms like crowdfunder. They normally seem to raise a few hundred quid out of the long thousands they are looking to raise. I haven’t seen the campaign of this person but I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/surgery-fundraiser

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bandits said:

I’m not sure they are refusing to fund. I’m aware of people who have received treatment on the NHS here. It just seems to be one attention-seeker trying to profile themselves in order to sting people for money. 

The NHS has finite funds. They have always served me well when I have say suffered an accident or developed a condition that needs treating.

I would hate to think that others suffering the same sort of things are put to the back of the queue because someone else wants to be fitted with an artificial vagina.

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The NHS has finite funds. They have always served me well when I have say suffered an accident or developed a condition that needs treating.

I would hate to think that others suffering the same sort of things are put to the back of the queue because someone else wants to be fitted with an artificial vagina.

The untreated trans suicide rate is pretty high. That aside, the fact we feel we have to triage schedulable medical procedures is a sad indictment of the state of our healthcare.

Just now, HeliX said:

The untreated trans suicide rate is pretty high. That aside, the fact we feel we have to triage schedulable medical procedures is a sad indictment of the state of our healthcare.

The whole situation is odd though. The person concerned says that they have had no treatment or referrals since seeking information from their GP and self identifying as transgender after the Pride Festival last year. So you’re basically a bloke in a dress. Most people even with life threatening illnesses are still waiting a year or more for referrals or treatments. It’s an indictment of the IOM NHS as a whole not just for trans people. There are people with various cancers and other illnesses who are waiting a huge amount of time for off island treatment. 

Just now, BriT said:

It’s an indictment of the IOM NHS as a whole not just for trans people. There are people with various cancers and other illnesses who are waiting a huge amount of time for off island treatment. 

I'm reasonably sure that's what my comment says!

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it’s not. It’s just a fact of life. There is not the fabled money tree.

I’m glad I don’t have to make such decisions.

Seems to be a money tree for all the wrong things. And there's enough wealth in the world to cover everyone's needs, it's just hoarded by a few.

• Like 3