JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy

Amadeus

15 hours ago, John Wright said:

There’s a breast cancer ward and an oncology day centre at which a surprisingly large number of different chemotherapy treatments can be, and are, delivered.

I am not complaining or moaning and appreciate and knew this, but merely trying to illustrate some of things we haven’t got, we won’t get, due to the size and population of the island. I doubt we would get these facilities if the population grew over 100,000 people. 

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

Seems to be a money tree for all the wrong things. And there's enough wealth in the world to cover everyone's needs, it's just hoarded by a few.

All the wrong things? You mean like treating cancer when some people desperately want their knob cut off? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BriT said:

Crowd funding seems to be the way of choice for these people with platforms like crowdfunder. They normally seem to raise a few hundred quid out of the long thousands they are looking to raise. I haven’t seen the campaign of this person but I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/surgery-fundraiser

Look at her Facebook page - she’s also got a just giving running for medical bills for a relative. 

40 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Can someone enlighten me as to the prefix "trans".  Does it denote transitioning from the gender stated or to it?  So is a trans woman someone transitioning to or from a woman? 

Generally a catchall for anyone who's gender is not the same as their sex assigned at birth. Its from the Latin trans, meaning across or opposite to, rather than being short for transition. Cis is from the Latin for "on the same side as".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

I am not complaining or moaning and appreciate and knew this, but merely trying to illustrate some of things we haven’t got, we won’t get, due to the size and population of the island. I doubt we would get these facilities if the population grew over 100,000 people. 

But there should be a smooth pathway to accessing those services in the UK or elsewhere. Reducing things down to some sort of hierarchy of conditions that acts as a filter allows Manx Care off the hook. 

I'm not that comfortable bundling gender identity issues in with mental health (maybe I'm wrong but is accurate to think of it that way?). But this woman's experience mirrors the experience I've heard of people with mental health issues, the neurologically diverse, and those with addiction issues and that whole pathway of GP referral to on-island support to accessing treatment seems broken. 

Whilst I understand the desire to help people whose medical needs aren't being met, I worry that the Crowdfunding route simply lets Manx Care managers off the hook.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Can someone enlighten me as to the prefix "trans".  Does it denote transitioning from the gender stated or to it?  So is a trans woman someone transitioning to or from a woman? 

The suffix is the destination gender. 

So a trans woman is a woman, a trans man is a man and they are at some point on the journey.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Gladys said:

This used to confuse me too.  The convention seems to be that the noun is the person's current gender, while 'trans' is operating as an adjective to indicate that their previous one was different.  So a trans woman is someone who currently identifies as a woman (but previously wasn't) rather than a woman who is/has transitioned to a man.

(TransMann must be so grateful they put in that second 'n').

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This used to confuse me too.  The convention seems to be that the noun is the person's current gender, while 'trans' is operating as an adjective to indicate that their previous one was different.  So a trans woman is someone who currently identifies as a woman (but previously wasn't) rather than a woman who is/has transitioned to a man.

(TransMann must be so grateful they put in that second 'n').

Thanks.  That makes sense.

ETA the laughing emoji was re your reference to TransMann!

Edited by Gladys

It trips my dyslexic brain up (like the whole my left or your left thing). I find if I just ignore the trans part everything makes sense for every practical I'm going to have it's irrelevant.  If someone says they're a woman why debate it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

It trips my dyslexic brain up (like the whole my left or your left thing). I find if I just ignore the trans part everything makes sense for every practical I'm going to have it's irrelevant.  If someone says they're a woman why debate it.

quite possibly because the dangly bits are a dead giveaway...