JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy

Amadeus

7 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

So, are you suggesting that, affirming your gender and being called by your right name, is equivalent to appropriating another history and culture?

Well, the definition of a woman is 'an adult female human being', a female denoting the sex that can bear offspring. So, again, I would counter that transwomen clearly are not women. They are transwomen. And many are happy to acknowledge that.

You can go to the women's history museum in more then one country.

look up 'women's culture' on wiki, it's quite comprehensive, you'll find.

Appropriating is taking something for one's own use, particularly without the owner's permission.

Women certainly have a history of oppression.

So yes, I think you can argue that they are similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Women certainly have a history of oppression.

The core theme of Rowlings Tweets seem to largely be this. She has fought hard to get where she has got in a man’s world and she has considerably over achieved in a male dominated industry. People like her raising the bar for equality have arguably made it easier for trans women to assimilate in a more tolerant society than she experienced growing up as a girl/woman. 

Just a question for people who think there's less discrimination of trans people than there is of women, have you noticed many internet forum threads that go on for dozens of pages talking about whether women exist or if they're just mentally ill?

Edited by HeliX

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

have you noticed many internet forum threads that go on for dozens of pages talking about whether women exist or if they're just mentally ill?

Are they the ones that you, Jack white,  lxx or acoustically challenged participate in? They do seem to go on a bit for no real reason or benefit. 

Just now, Newsdesk said:

Are they the ones that you, Jack white,  lxx or acoustically challenged participate in? They do seem to go on a bit for no real reason or benefit. 

Blaming the people responding to ignorant/factually incorrect/transphobic posts for the threads existing is quite a take.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You're right, we should all be able to mock and deride marginalised groups, especially if we have a large platform to do it from.

Are the Rowling / Bindel tweets mocking a marginalised group? Or the language used around the subject? Or a strand of thought held about that group?

I despise Rowling and profoundly disagree with her but the point of challenge sexist, racist, transphobic jokes is because they marginalise individuals and perpetuate stereotypes, not to remove political ideas and movements from criticism. 

Edited by Declan

Just now, HeliX said:

Blaming the people responding to ignorant/factually incorrect/transphobic posts for the threads existing is quite a take.

Your posts are equally ignorant. You don’t get the monopoly on opinion no matter how deluded and spectacularly woke you might be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Your posts are equally ignorant. You don’t get the monopoly on opinion no matter how deluded and spectacularly woke you might be. 

Happy for anything incorrect or ignorant I've said to be called out.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Happy for anything incorrect or ignorant I've said to be called out.

Just go back up this thread and delete half of it then. You don’t have the monopoly on calling people out.

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

You can usually figure out when someone is wrong, by them resorting to calling people woke.

Often the 'woke' just want friends/family and other human beings to be able to crack on without the interference of gammony folks who really don't need to know or care about their genitals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You don't have an argument then - cool. Other than "wah wah woke" obviously.

You’re funny. No lucid argument for anything but claiming a victory. So super-woke. No need to listen to anyone else about anything. You’ve set Rowling up as a figure of hate and that’s it. The funny thing is that she is so influential and wealthy that nobody will never cancel her and even if they did her descendants will still be living off the money 150 years from now and likely wouldn’t care either. It’s people just shouting into the void to try to provide purpose to their lives. 

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Newsdesk said:

You’re funny. No lucid argument for anything but claiming a victory. So super-woke. No need to listen to anyone else about anything. You’ve set Rowling up as a figure of hate and that’s it. The funny thing is that she is so influential and wealthy that nobody will never cancel her and even if they did her descendants will still be living off the money 150 years from now and likely wouldn’t care either. 

You accusing me of no argument is amusing given you've not made a single one other than whinging about whatever you believe "woke" to be.

I repeatedly listen to people, and respond to them. That's sort of the point of a forum. You'll get the hang of it.

I'm not trying to cancel JK Rowling. Neither am I setting her up as a figure of hate. You're right though, generational wealth is a bad thing that should be addressed.