Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

21 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It is the truth the IOM postal service is appalling and needs to be dragged into the 21st Century. 

The post office blew tens of thousands recently as their latest fleet renewal was a shocker - but it’s slipped under the radar. Vans order blocked by Longworth as he had a vested interest in Vauxhalls. Then when the Vauxhalls finally arrived (nearly 12 months late due to Longworth) they were specced incorrectly with only one sliding door, oh and the DOI managed to over order by 10 vans! Not in use yet, hidden away at different locations… Next, they sell off their 2016 vans at Crystals for just £2400 on average- market rate in good Condition would have been about £9.5k each. But they were so badly looked after and crashed because those workers don’t give a toss (look at one closely next time you see one over a year old) - they all slipped through the public awareness net. Bloody disgrace…. Mind you the DOI fleet manager appears to have hundreds of vehicles stashed away up Jurby unused, so I suppose there’s another quiet story of incompetence! He’s real special.

And is there any chance we can keep RED Post vans into the future? This pathetic penny-saving measure of buying white ( and other colour) vehicles because they're easier to sell on is ridiculous.

Post vans have always been instantly recognisable ( mainly because they were always red )  Keep it that way.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Satan666 said:

Vans order blocked by Longworth as he had a vested interest in Vauxhalls

I thought Longworth's obsession was supposed to be Mercedes-Benz?

No time for the feller at all, but it's interesting how everything is his fault now he's gone.

If IOM Post had just bought a load of Sprinters I'd believe it more.

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Truly spoken like a well-trained and led Chairperson.

Nope, as someone who hadn’t given a thought to IOMPO before being asked to join the Board six months ago, and has since been hugely impressed by a well run organisation facing severe pressures and being expected to push water uphill. As with any service things will occasionally go wrong but the PO takes complaints (some relayed via me) very seriously and is extremely customer focused.

But nobody posts letters any more (I posted my first of 2022 on Wednesday) so it’s having to shift more to parcels and introducing new methods of business like online postage and doorstep collections or drop boxes, all the time competing with a gig economy paying no real tax/NI contributions and where the operators have no employment benefits or significant regulation. But many customers prefer cheap over good. There are many interesting developments in the pipeline that will benefit most of us, but will result in vociferous opposition to those who ‘don’t like change’.

In short, the Post Office is great.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Nope, as someone who hadn’t given a thought to IOMPO before being asked to join the Board six months ago, and has since been hugely impressed by a well run organisation facing severe pressures and being expected to push water uphill. As with any service things will occasionally go wrong but the PO takes complaints (some relayed via me) very seriously and is extremely customer focused.

But nobody posts letters any more (I posted my first of 2022 on Wednesday) so it’s having to shift more to parcels and introducing new methods of business like online postage and doorstep collections or drop boxes, all the time competing with a gig economy paying no real tax/NI contributions and where the operators have no employment benefits or significant regulation. But many customers prefer cheap over good. There are many interesting developments in the pipeline that will benefit most of us, but will result in vociferous opposition to those who ‘don’t like change’.

if they are going to be concentrating on parcels , or even if they aren't, perhaps you could get the staff at the office by BnQ to learn how to use a tape measure and to understand the difference between width and circumference.

59 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You dont think it is a tad heavy on Managers?

A manager for uniforms?

A manager for  haircuts? 

A manager for dog attack liaison?

Okay I made the last couple up but I would bet there is someone employed there that is as much use as a mullet inspector.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

But nobody posts letters any more (I posted my first of 2022 on Wednesday) so it’s having to shift more to parcels and introducing new methods of business like online postage and doorstep collections or drop boxes, all the time competing with a gig economy paying no real tax/NI contributions and where the operators have no employment benefits or significant regulation.

FFS you’ve already been brainwashed by the “gig economy” nonsense as well. That is not the reason why the IOM PO can’t make any money. This is the man who announced on here a few years back that he wouldn’t buy Manx milk for his coffee shop as it was too expensive. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

The Post Office is already itself well immersed in the "gig" economy by employing any number of casual ZHC staff, often to replace departing/retiring full-timers. The management ranks are now however approaching 50 individuals with some recent additions etc.

In the meantime the only differences the customer sees are a reduction in services (no Saturday letters or other than priority parcels delivery and ever-increasing prices at the counters). Regular delays to airmail departures and arrivals to include priority registered mail with its attendant premiums. I am a regular poster of business correspondence and local delivery alone can be taking as much as two days(!) longer than it was this time last year. Why, please?

Incidentally, I have no criticism of the grass-roots postmen and ladies who appear to be trying as hard as they ever did to get stuff to people's doors; but if one or two opinions that they share with me are accurate then the picture that you paint is not quite as rosy as you would wish. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The issue Stu is that the changes you're referring to could and should have happened 10+ years ago. The gig economy has been around for quite a while and I suspect that IOMPO is too late and any funding put aside or granted to them will be frittered away on development projects, none of which will produce anything of significance.