Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

On 12/4/2022 at 11:15 PM, Omobono said:

not over managed  then why are we still paying 2 chief executives ?  with the massive resurgence of on line and mail order  the post office should have capitalised on this, and got off their backsides  to fight for their share of the business , I agree massive decline in postal letters ,but huge opportunities in other strands of the business ,  as far as letter post goes , we have literally  priced ourselves out of the market place , even for Junk mail ! 

They certainly had three development managers at one point.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:53 PM, Banker said:

Who are the 2 chief executives? 
How would you get parcels business off a gig delivery company who pay shit wages? Would you sack all posties  & remploy on self employed contracts saving NI/pensions & vans cost or just reduce all their wages?

There were strikes, picket lines & questions in Tynwald when terms & conditions were changed a few years ago

Welcome to the real supply chain world.

Parcel business is tendered. The only way IOMP will get a look in is if they ally/partner themselves with major SC & Logistics operators in UK who tender for that business.

Sadly Royal Mail are playing directly into the hands of the 'private' operators.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anyone said:

Very statesman like. Either engage or don’t bother. I think don’t bother is your best option and perhaps concentrate on politics rather than glib comments on here. And you forgot the chair ( if you were trying to be funny , which you’re not very ).

Someone’s a bit grumpy.

10 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Parcel business is tendered. The only way IOMP will get a look in is if they ally/partner themselves with major SC & Logistics operators in UK who tender for that business.

That’s been so obvious now for at least ten years. I wonder when the penny is finally going to drop? Then again if you’ve been working there for 30 years and all you’ve needed to get on is dead man’s shoes you really wouldn’t have a clue what the market is doing. 

• 2 months later...

Thought I’d use this thread rather than start another one.

We had a card through our door from the Post Office Lost Revenue department ( or some such) saying that we had been sent an item that needed £1.42 paying for underpayment of stampage ( if that’s a word).

We could go to the Sorting Office,pay the £1.42 and collect said item.

Upon arriving at the Sorting Office it transpired that the sender had put a 73 pence stamp on a letter not an 80p one, that the cost of postage has recently risen to.

So an underpayment of 7p, The balance of the amount required, £1.35 was some sort of administration fee.

When did it come to this?

This is not the same Isle of Man that I came to live in.

I am sure that not so long ago the letter would just have been delivered

Stu?

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thought I’d use this thread rather than start another one.

We had a card through our door from the Post Office Lost Revenue department ( or some such) saying that we had been sent an item that needed £1.42 paying for underpayment of stampage ( if that’s a word).

We could go to the Sorting Office,pay the £1.42 and collect said item.

Upon arriving at the Sorting Office it transpired that the sender had put a 73 pence stamp on a letter not an 80p one, that the cost of postage has recently risen to.

So an underpayment of 7p, The balance of the amount required, £1.35 was some sort of administration fee.

When did it come to this?

This is not the same Isle of Man that I came to live in.

I am sure that not so long ago the letter would just have been delivered

Stu?

Postage due, for under stamped items, has been a thing for over 180 years, both before and after Manx postal independence.

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Discretion, and the use of, has been around a lot longer than that

They were making money. They didn’t enforce. For a while stamps were just on and off island ( for standard letters ) with no price marked, so it didn’t make a difference when stamp price went up.

My recollection is that the postie carried Postage Due stamps. He knocked on your door and you paid him the missing postage by buying the additional postage, plus the same amount again as penalty, he stuck the postage due stamps on and handed you your letter.

Cant remember when they went to leaving a note and making us trek to HQ to pay. Posties should be issued with card readers.

I was always under the impression that they "let it go" in the past, the original 73p stamps had been purchased in good faith and it's only a matter of time until they're all used up and gone anyway with the new value coming onstream. But PO is now a "commercial business" and grabbing every penny it can so presumably philanthropy is no longer part of the make up?

How is the new American parcels expert getting on anyway? 😉

It's possibly down to the discretion of the post person. Customer tipped at christmas, underpaid post gets delivered, customer is a tosser, they're going to have to collect and pay. These kind of things happen to you, look at yourself a bit closer.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's probably down to the discretion of the post person. Customer tipped at christmas, underpaid post gets delivered, customer is a tosser, they're going to have to collect and pay. These kind of things happen to you, look at yourself a bit closer.

We’ve always enjoy a good relationship with our postie. 
Lovely chap and we always exchange pleasantries if we see him at the door. 

I doubt it’s down to him. 
More likely the person sorting out the post for each round.

Our postie probably wouldn’t have seen the card re the underpayment until he took it out of his bag  at our doorstep with the rest of the post.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I was always under the impression that they "let it go" in the past, the original 73p stamps had been purchased in good faith and it's only a matter of time until they're all used up and gone anyway with the new value coming onstream.

It’s just another example of our desperately broken system of public administration all over a 7p “debt”. It’s pathetic. Even to be helpful in such pathetic circumstances they could issue the postie with a card reader if they’re going to be such post Hitlers over 7p. Any person with half a brain in a “commercial” organization would have just written 7p off and delivered the letter on the basis that it’s going to cost you about £25 in admin costs to recover 7p and the 73p stamp was probably purchased by someone in good faith from a post office who hadn’t realized the post had since gone up.

• Like 1