Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

38 minutes ago, Omobono said:

not over managed  then why are we still paying 2 chief executives ?  with the massive resurgence of on line and mail order  the post office should have capitalised on this, and got off their backsides  to fight for their share of the business , I agree massive decline in postal letters ,but huge opportunities in other strands of the business ,  as far as letter post goes , we have literally  priced ourselves out of the market place , even for Junk mail ! 

Who are the 2 chief executives? 
How would you get parcels business off a gig delivery company who pay shit wages? Would you sack all posties  & remploy on self employed contracts saving NI/pensions & vans cost or just reduce all their wages?

There were strikes, picket lines & questions in Tynwald when terms & conditions were changed a few years ago

Edited by Banker

Big questions need to be asked about the regular damage to post office vans and a seemingly reluctance to have them fixed. I have heard , maybe on here , that lots were sent to auction the other week while the 50 new ones arrived a few months or more ago. allegedly. Oh and what colour were the first to arrive !!?? Yes white. Where are they now or just lost between many departments like DOI etc. 

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Oh and what colour were the first to arrive !!?? Yes white. Where are they now or just lost between many departments like DOI etc. 

My understanding is that the PO were loaned some new DOI fleet pending the arrival of some of the new correctly-liveried PO fleet?

Bloke gets voted in promising to ‘shake things up’ and ‘ hold feet to the fire’. Gets feet under the table ( not the ones obviously being held to the fire ) then sees no need to ‘shake things up’ or indeed ‘ hold feet to the fire’. Chief minister material there. It’s only a matter of time. But it’s a democracy so we get what we deserve. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

My understanding is that the PO were loaned some new DOI fleet pending the arrival of some of the new correctly-liveried PO fleet?

Dont think that version is the whole story. Yes the end result was that but before makes interesting reading . 

Edited by Numbnuts

On 12/3/2022 at 12:01 AM, Stu Peters said:

Isle of Man Post Office is great. The End.

So why do they waste so much money then on vehicle repairs and lose thousands at auctions due to neglect?

On 12/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, Stu Peters said:

Given the numerous operations and services the IOMPO runs, I don’t get the impression it’s over managed, but of course I could be wrong. Who is making the allegations? Is it that bloke down the pub who didn’t get one of the jobs he’s now saying is unnecessary?

No, probably that government body who received an apology from the PO saying that they’re sorry they lost thousands of info leaflets but if they’d have known it was so important, then they wouldn’t have taken on the delivery! Who else were they supposed to use on this island then? Well run? Bloody joke more like. Ask your man at the top, he’ll know what I’m commenting on here, rather than drag this through a forum. 

7 minutes ago, Satan666 said:

No, probably that government body who received an apology from the PO saying that they’re sorry they lost thousands of info leaflets but if they’d have known it was so important, then they wouldn’t have taken on the delivery! Who else were they supposed to use on this island then? Well run? Bloody joke more like. Ask your man at the top, he’ll know what I’m commenting on here, rather than drag this through a forum. 

Well I don’t know what you’re talking about.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, Stu Peters said:

Given the numerous operations and services the IOMPO runs, I don’t get the impression it’s over managed, but of course I could be wrong. Who is making the allegations? Is it that bloke down the pub who didn’t get one of the jobs he’s now saying is unnecessary?

Well you described it on the radio today as a business. In which case why does it need a political chairman? It should be either a public service or a business, not the worst of both worlds as we have at the moment. The two exist for entirely different reasons, with entirely different aims.

After all it's well over 40 years since the PO sold off its potentially (and actually) most profitable department (telephones) and  hundreds of millions have been reaped by private investors from it ever since. Despite that who has had to invest millions in the new fibre network? The taxpayer.

You obviously don't value it as a public service (you only send one letter a year), I'm becoming inclined to agree with you in its current form (although living on an island it does provide some advantages). It's a bit naïve to purely blame the times though, decades of short sighted mismanagement have played a bigger part IMHO, I can't see that changing anytime soon though, not while government wannabe business men have a seat at the table.

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Well you described it on the radio today as a business. In which case why does it need a political chairman? It should be either a public service or a business, not the worst of both worlds as we have at the moment. The two exist for entirely different reasons, with entirely different aims.

After all it's well over 40 years since the PO sold off its potentially (and actually) most profitable department (telephones) and  hundreds of millions have been reaped by private investors from it ever since. Despite that who has had to invest millions in the new fibre network? The taxpayer.

You obviously don't value it as a public service (you only send one letter a year), I'm becoming inclined to agree with you in its current form (although living on an island it does provide some advantages). It's a bit naïve to purely blame the times though, decades of short sighted mismanagement have played a bigger part IMHO, I can't see that changing anytime soon though, not while government wannabe business men have a seat at the table.

Does the dial a disc service still exist?

Not used it in a long time.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The CEO and the COO who it was reported way back who are on over £100k each. 

https://www.iompost.com/about/meet-the-team/

That structure chart shows exactly why it’s such a dead organization. All of them there for 20 years or more (many more than that) “XYZ has worked for IOM Post for over 30 years They have held several important roles including cleaning the toilets in 1988 before becoming international director for painting village post boxes red in 2009. They bring a wealth of commercial experience to the role having worked for absolutely nobody else at any part of their career” 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

That structure chart shows exactly why it’s such a dead organization. All of them there for 20 years or more (many more than that) “XYZ has worked for IOM Post for over 30 years They have held several important roles including cleaning the toilets in 1988 before becoming international director for painting village post boxes red in 2009. They bring a wealth of commercial experience to the role having worked for absolutely nobody else at any part of their career” 

Well it’s great that there is career progression within an organisation.

And those that start of in junior roles by virtue of hard work and experience gained,  move into more senior roles, rather than those who have no knowledge of that particular industry just being parachuted in.

More power to their elbow I say

I think your scoffing is inappropriate.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last sentence
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1