Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

To include a remarkable number of family, mates and toadies connections with some equally remarkable salaries and bonuses being collected.

Yes there are. It will never stop being like British Leyland in 1972 because there are far too many vested interests. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always found the post office pretty good, generally next day on the faster (1st class and up) services, and I've never had a late special delivery. The worst we've had is the odd parcel being left with a neighbour by mistake. 95% of the time, if it arrives on Island that morning, it'll be delivered that day.

Even Yodel parcels also avoid most of the abyss that is Mainland Yodel.

Hermes on the other hand are a nightmare, as parcels seem to spend all their time getting from Bolton to the Island. Or trundling around various depots before they get to the local courier.

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’ve never been a supporter of the PO here. It’s a genuinely terrible service which should have been passed out to a private sector tender years ago. I’ve never had so many late packages and other service issues and not forgetting them putting out the tender to H&Bs to run the worlds worst designed town centre post office anywhere in the first world for them. 

So you think it should be put out to tender and you're complaining because some of it has been.  It's not very consistent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's a motion put up for the next TynwaldThe Chief Minister to move - That Mr Peters MHK be appointed Chair of the Post Office.

The previous Chair was Chris Thomas who's now in CoMin and though it's not legally impossible to do both, he's going to have his hands full with the DoI.  Stu was already Deputy Chair, so it make sense.

Deputy Chair of the OFT - not previously involved with IOM Post, apart from interviewing various former board members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Deputy Chair of the OFT - not previously involved with IOM Post, apart from interviewing various former board members.

Good luck Stu. I think you might need it.  At least it's not the DOI! 

Do you get a chance to claim any confiscated parcels?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No the Post Office in Douglas and a few others have been put out for H&B to manage on behalf of the PO. I actually said I think the whole lot should be privatized and just sold off. They looked at corporatization a few years ago which was just a con for the management team to make even more money. Just sell it to a logistics company and be done with it. 

That’s not how sub post offices work. IoMPost decided it didn’t want to operate a Crown Post Office. Losing too much. Sub post offices are, and always have been, private businesses, with the sub post master paid a wage ( and in the past a commission ) to provide PO counter services.

I have my reservations about Stu but lets at least give him a chance (or at least enough rope to hang himself 🤣 - only joking). If not Stu I'm sure you can lean on the best business brain on the forums, as I'm sure he single handedly runs the largest business on the island. I say this as no one in their right mind would work for him if they know his views.  I'm sure you can work out who I mean.

Personally have never had any issue with the PO here. 

Good of people to complain before the fact of the job that may or may not be done and show zero support though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steady Eddie said:

Peters will likely be as terrible as all the other post office chair persons who have left us with a skeleton postal service that really only exists to keep the senior post office management teams in jobs. 

You get what you pay for , if services have been cut it’s presumably because they’re loss making. More of government needs to take similar steps 

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes I agree but I’m not sure the Douglas one operates like that. It’s a Post Office facility managed by H&B inside a H&B building.

It’s operated as a sub post office, the same as all the others. What other goods the sub post master decides to sell is entirely up-to them.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The Post Office has a contract with every sub postmaster.

That link suggests nothing different, other than that the new sub post office was staying in Regent Street, temporarily, so that would require a contract of some kind as the building was owned by the Post Office.

• Like 1