Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s just another example of our desperately broken system of public administration all over a 7p “debt”. It’s pathetic. Even to be helpful in such pathetic circumstances they could issue the postie with a card reader if they’re going to be such post Hitlers over 7p. Any person with half a brain in a “commercial” organization would have just written 7p off and delivered the letter on the basis that it’s going to cost you about £25 in admin costs to recover 7p and the 73p stamp was probably purchased by someone in good faith from a post office who hadn’t realized the post had since gone up.

Another irrational rant 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Banker said:

Another irrational rant 

It doesn't seem that irrational, it's a very good point.

It used to be that a first class stamp was a first class stamp. A stamp is a stamp and they'd be honoured when prices went up.

Priced go up by such a larger % now and it's silly even chasing the stamp price difference.

If it was a large thick letter that needed two stamps and only had one on it I.e. genuine underpayment then sure, it makes sense.

This is just silly beaurocratic nonsense.

• Like 6

Happened to me a while ago. Paid the fee at SO and got the package. And advised the seller they had underpaid (which they refunded without being asked). Because it increased the cost of my order I made sure it wouldn’t happen again, whereas had I been able to give the Postie a couple of bob I probably wouldn’t have bothered. I hate bureaucracy too, but I think this is justified, otherwise postal anarchy would prevail…

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Happened to me a while ago. Paid the fee at SO and got the package. And advised the seller they had underpaid (which they refunded without being asked). Because it increased the cost of my order I made sure it wouldn’t happen again, whereas had I been able to give the Postie a couple of bob I probably wouldn’t have bothered. I hate bureaucracy too, but I think this is justified, otherwise postal anarchy would prevail…

Who gets to keep the surcharge?

• Like 1

Just now, Stu Peters said:

How can it be justified Stu? It’s 7p. It’s entirely pointless bureaucracy. You sell stamps in good faith and at no point do the counter staff say “Be careful if the price of a stamp goes up you won’t be able to use that anymore” and then you hold a letter for ransom for 7p because some old lady forget that you put the price up about 3 times last year. This is why people are using IOM Post less and less as it’s just twattish bureaucracy more and more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

How can it be justified Stu? It’s 7p. It’s entirely pointless bureaucracy. You sell stamps in good faith and at no point do the counter staff say “Be careful if the price of a stamp goes up you won’t be able to use that anymore” and then you hold a letter for ransom for 7p because some old lady forget that you put the price up about 3 times last year. This is why people are using IOM Post less and less as it’s just twattish bureaucracy more and more.

Agreed.

As I said earlier, a stamp is a stamp.

If this was underpayment of parcels as Stu alludes, different ballgame.

But a stamp should always be a stamp and deliver a letter or card.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

But a stamp should always be a stamp and deliver a letter or card.

Even with the packages it’s Dickensian. Manx Indy now have a QR code on their calling cards. You’re out but scan this code and organize the re-delivery. Took me about 30 seconds to sort out re-delivery last week. But with IOM Post here’s a card, take it to the sorting office bloody miles away, queue at sorting office behind some muppet taxing 15 cars, then be told it’s not back from the round yet. Come back next day. The whole business model is pure 1950s. In this situation at least give the postie a card reader to take the 7p payment so they can add a 12p processing fee to their already loss making extra “revenue generating” exercise. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

37 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Completely agree. It’s nuts. 
maybe thenPost Office is too busy breaking GDPR rules recently via email…

25 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Even with the packages it’s Dickensian. Manx Indy now have a QR code on their calling cards. You’re out but scan this code and organize the re-delivery. Took me about 30 seconds to sort out re-delivery last week. But with IOM Post here’s a card, take it to the sorting office bloody miles away, queue at sorting office behind some muppet taxing 15 cars, then be told it’s not back from the round yet. Come back next day. The whole business model is pure 1950s. In this situation at least give the postie a card reader to take the 7p payment so they can add a 12p processing fee to their already loss making extra “revenue generating” exercise. 

But the post office have to make up the thousands of pounds lost at their last vehicle disposal auction somehow. 

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Yes but can you enlighten us as to the fee you had to pay?

Seven quid, for example is a whole different matter from 7 pence.

• Like 1

I wonder how much it'll cost the Post Office in administration, storage and disposal charges if surcharged customers decline to pay for and collect their items? That will require the recruitment of another few Spring Valley office wallahs to administer as well, no doubt... Best put the price of stamps up again to cover it....

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1