Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Happened to me a while ago. Paid the fee at SO and got the package. And advised the seller they had underpaid (which they refunded without being asked). Because it increased the cost of my order I made sure it wouldn’t happen again, whereas had I been able to give the Postie a couple of bob I probably wouldn’t have bothered. I hate bureaucracy too, but I think this is justified, otherwise postal anarchy would prevail…

There are some who may think that giving the postie a couple of bob is technically bribery.

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Happened to me a while ago. Paid the fee at SO and got the package. And advised the seller they had underpaid (which they refunded without being asked). Because it increased the cost of my order I made sure it wouldn’t happen again, whereas had I been able to give the Postie a couple of bob I probably wouldn’t have bothered. I hate bureaucracy too, but I think this is justified, otherwise postal anarchy would prevail…

Postal anarchy…what on earth?

Pursuing 7p on underpaid postage doesn’t lead to postal anarchy it leads to a loss of goodwill.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It seems weird that the UK post accepted it into their system for forward delivery if it did not have the right postage on it. None of the competing parcel services would have done that.

It's one of many signs that the whole unionised business needs modernisation. And the whole thing should be largely automated. It is more than 70 years since barcodes were invented.

24 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

It seems weird that the UK post accepted it into their system for forward delivery if it did not have the right postage on it. None of the competing parcel services would have done that.

If it is put into a post box with no return address what do you suggest they do?

No other carrier has a similar service as far as I am aware.  The drop boxes require your contact details to use so if the sender underpays they can return it straight to them.

I think we've all forgotten the true issue of the 7p surcharge.

Family and friends dissent.

Brenda didn't send me a Christmas card (she did, she just put a stamp from last year on it), so she isn't getting one from me next year.

It's actually a vicious and negative cycle for the diminishing postal system. Fuck the 7p, put a sticker on it saying 'Hey! This stamp is old and not at the current postage rates, please bare that in mend and tell the sender.'

Not that anyone cares. Stop being pricks and deliver the Christmas card.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

No other carrier has a similar service as far as I am aware.

Yes that's a symptom of the problem. It's because it no longer makes sense.

The old fashioned subsidised letter service should be gradually phased out. It made sense when letters were the primary method of communication and hence basically part of a national infrastructure. The very few genuinely important letters should be sent at a price which relects that importance.

5 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I think my packet was about 60p short, but I don’t remember.

Yes it’s only 7p but try buying anything anywhere and underpaying.

Try being charged £1.42 for being 7p underweight when you weren't responsible for it in the first instance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I think my packet was about 60p short, but I don’t remember.

Yes it’s only 7p but try buying anything anywhere and underpaying.

You really have no position being Chairman of the PO. Your board must run rings. But I know and like Kneen and I'd trust him to keep you in check.

Your analogy only works if I tried to buy a stamp today without enough money.

If I buy a stamp, it doesn't come with an expiration date per se.

Imagine you buy a pair of your crotchless underpants like you normally do one day for £20. You realise when you get home they're too big and go to take them back. The shop tells you the price of them is now £19.93 so they will only refund you that plus a £1.35 charge.

You don't buy 1 euro at the post office and get to Europe and they tell you you need to pay the exchange difference because the rates have changed.

Like I keep saying: a stamp is a stamp.

In the UK the RM actively encourages people to buy books with hundreds of stamps prior to price changes. It's not worth a value to any user, it's worth a letter or card going from A to B within the British Isles and Forces Areas.

Edited by NoTailT

Another question Stu.

IOM Stamp is 80p. UK is 95p first class.

Do Royal Mail charge people in the UK 15p plus fees for letters and cards from the IOM?

Can someone send a letter from UK to IOM with a 2nd class stamp, which is 68p? Or is that a 12p undercharge to you?

It goes to the core of saying a stamp doesn't have a monetary value in reality. It has a value of a small letter up to 100g.

Edited by NoTailT

A relative of mine had to traipse into the sorting office because of 7p as she wasn't in on the day it arrived which was rare.

This is the sort of penny pinching that destroys any remaining support for the PO. Most of the post nowadays is either from Government, bills or banks from time to time anyway and I just bin the flyers.

I've also returned more packages damaged in transit by PO than any other carrier despite them being the least used.

It is a dying legacy of the 20th century that no-one has had the guts to put out of its misery. I imagine anyone under the age of 20 has never sent an actual letter.

If it went to weekly delivery or PO boxes few would care. Just stop sending MC appointments by post and go to SMS and/or emails.

14 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

In the UK the RM actively encourages people to buy books with hundreds of stamps prior to price changes. It's not worth a value to any user, it's worth a letter or card going from A to B within the British Isles and Forces Areas.

It would be somewhat ironic if all these no show appointments at the hospital are appointment letters where they used old stamps and nobody paid the required 7 pence extra to receive them. This is the reality here. People not getting important items of post all because of a 7 pence debt owning to a multi million pound turnover business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

It would be somewhat ironic if all these no show appointments at the hospital are appointment letters where they used old stamps and nobody paid the required 7 pence extra to receive them. This is the reality here. People not getting important items of post all because of a 7 pence debt owning to a multi million pound turnover business.

I was going to debate back and say big business use franking machines which are always up to date, in theory.

Then I remembered an appointment letter from Manx Care the other day which had a stamp on it.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Then I remembered an appointment letter from Manx Care the other day which had a stamp on it.

I got an appointment letter this week with a stamp on it. They stamp most of them. They must be one of IOM Posts biggest customers. Which is totally stupid as they hold both my email address and mobile number. They could send me a text for less than 2p.

Edited by MrGarrison