Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

2 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

I got an appointment letter this week with a stamp on it. They stamp most of them. They must be one of IOM Posts biggest customers. Which is totally stupid as they hold both my email address and mobile number. They could send me a text for less than 2p.

Yep.

Even Sure charge me £2.50 for a paper bill. Its designed to disincentivise. Nobody wants paper bills or correspondence if they can help it.

Keep it as an option for those who want and reduce mail delivery to twice per week. Parcels daily, 7 days per week.

5 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I was going to debate back and say big business use franking machines which are always up to date, in theory.

Then I remembered an appointment letter from Manx Care the other day which had a stamp on it.

Ah yes a modern service for the 21st century.

We are nearly a quarter century into the new millenium, has anyone told Manx Care?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

Ah yes a modern service for the 21st century.

We are nearly a quarter century into the new millenium, has anyone told Manx Care?

At a guess the Post Office needs to produce a certain number of stamps to avoid further price impacts and it benefits this by keeping heavy use of them in limited areas of Gov control.

I always thought franking was cheaper than a stamp too. Could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Yep.

Even Sure charge me £2.50 for a paper bill. Its designed to disincentivise. Nobody wants paper bills or correspondence if they can help it.

Keep it as an option for those who want and reduce mail delivery to twice per week. Parcels daily, 7 days per week.

I'm glad I kept my c/card and bank statements from way back in order in a few boxes. Literally worth thousands when it came to PPI claims as they seemed unable to find any records and I was able to help them out.

Likewise other legal stuff. Putting it in writing with good compostion with a signature has far more weight than any emails and phone calls. A dying skill sadly judging by some of the garbage I see in the press and government notices. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I'm glad I kept my c/card and bank statements from way back in order in a few boxes. Literally worth thousands when it came to PPI claims as they seemed unable to find any records and I was able to help them out.

Likewise other legal stuff. Putting it in writing with good compostion with a signature has far more weight than any emails and phone calls. A dying skill sadly judging by some of the garbage I see in the press and government notices. 

I can digitally download all of mine and I do so on a monthly basis. Bank, credit card, utilities etc. I whack figures in my excel and file them in my Dropbox. Have done for years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

1. At a guess the Post Office needs to produce a certain number of stamps to avoid further price impacts and it benefits this by keeping heavy use of them in limited areas of Gov control.

2. I always thought franking was cheaper than a stamp too. Could be wrong though.

1. Not really, surely the system has to be based on best common denominator. There’s a universal postal system. Not everyone has a phone, fixed, mobile or smart, or access to the web..

2. Not unless it’s changed a lot, plus there’s the cost of the machine and the hassle of topping up. I use stamps for work. Ordered on line. What would make my work post life better? Postie picking up Mail.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Another question Stu.

IOM Stamp is 80p. UK is 95p first class.

Do Royal Mail charge people in the UK 15p plus fees for letters and cards from the IOM?

Can someone send a letter from UK to IOM with a 2nd class stamp, which is 68p? Or is that a 12p undercharge to you?

It goes to the core of saying a stamp doesn't have a monetary value in reality. It has a value of a small letter up to 100g.

A friend of mine in the UK posted a card to our UK address with a manx stamp on it. It arrived no problem. I was puzzled that it was postmarked "Barnstaple" in Devon which was the idea.

As it's not a legal UK stamp I figured it got through the sorting machines in the UK because they must recognise manx stamps to process mail from the island.

23 hours ago, John Wright said:

Cant remember when they went to leaving a note and making us trek to HQ to pay.

You can attach the postage due in stamps to the card and send it back in the post. The letter due will then arrive. No need to go to HQ. 

10 hours ago, MrGarrison said:

It would be somewhat ironic if all these no show appointments at the hospital are appointment letters where they used old stamps and nobody paid the required 7 pence extra to receive them. This is the reality here. People not getting important items of post all because of a 7 pence debt owning to a multi million pound turnover business.

Don’t use stamps for hospital appointment letters. Jeez. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I use stamps for work. Ordered on line. What would make my work post life better? Postie picking up Mail.

If a document is so important today that it still demands to be an actual physical copy then it deserves to be sent as an exceptional item - and at a cost which reflects that exceptionality. Via the parcel service as a small item.

It makes no sense to maintain the old fashioned one-size-fits-all letter service (and all of its costly infrastructure, staffing etc) because a few important documents still need to be delivered physically.  Maintainning the old fashioned and unprofitable letter service is preventing modernisation of the delievery service, working practices etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

1. Not really, surely the system has to be based on best common denominator. There’s a universal postal system. Not everyone has a phone, fixed, mobile or smart, or access to the web.

But by far most people do and I’d assume you design your basic service model around what most people want. Not what a load of old fogeys find borderline acceptable because that’s how it’s been since 1975. The whole service model is lost in the 1950s. If I can scan a QR to arrange redelivery with Manx Indy and it takes a matter of seconds why do IOM Post still operate the most backward system going. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

If a document is so important today that it still demands to be an actual physical copy then it deserves to be sent as an exceptional item - and at a cost which reflects that exceptionality. Via the parcel service as a small item.

It makes no sense to maintain the old fashioned one-size-fits-all letter service (and all of its costly infrastructure, staffing etc) because a few important documents still need to be delivered physically.  Maintainning the old fashioned and unprofitable letter service is preventing modernisation of the delievery service, working practices etc.

Think it’s a legal requirement to continue delivering all letters by Royal Mail & Iom post office.

In UK it’s 6 days a week, very costly loss making service which is why they’re seeking Uk government permission to reduce to 5 days. The CWU are totally against this & most modernizing suggestions as it would mean job losses, changes to working hours etc , so they’re going on strike again, same with railway workers 

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

Think it’s a legal requirement to continue delivering all letters by Royal Mail & Iom post office.

In UK it’s 6 days a week, very costly loss making service which is why they’re seeking Uk government permission to reduce to 5 days. The CWU are totally against this & most modernizing suggestions as it would mean job losses, changes to working hours etc , so they’re going on strike again, same with railway workers 

Royal Mail / IOM Post have 'final mile' monopoly really. Their models are built for letter delivery to lose money nowadays. Nobody else wants to bother with it.

PostNL tried to penetrate the UK market when they created TNT Post, now Whistl (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistl). You'll likely see Whistl printed logo on lots of commercial post you receive nowadays.

They tried to penetrate the post market and compete with Royal Mail. They had people on post bicycles throughout cities in the UK, but soon realised it was commercially not viable. Now their business it based on sorting, processing and delivering post in to Royal Mails regional hubs for 'last mile' delivery by your normal postie. They charge less per letter than Royal Mail themselves do, it's where businesses have switched to an according to Wiki they process over 25% of British post. UKMail (part of DHL) used to do the same but they moved away in the most part to the profitable parcel side of delivery life. Hence DHL bought them.

TNT Post failed in its plans not only because commercially it wasn't stacking up for them to do last mile delivery, it was actually cheaper just to pay Royail Mail to do it. Also failed because they couldn't get permission to install post boxes on streets due to some old historic legislation that nobody wanted to change.

769e74a4332ce979e066950f6d0dc323--bike-stuff-bicycles.jpg

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:

The letter service should be wound down and phased. If a document is genuinely important enough to require a physical copy then it should be sent as a premium item and delivered as part of the parcel service.

Yes the unions and the old fashioned work practices are part of the problem in this context.

I fully agree that the Royal Mail in the UK need to be modernised and therefore your Postal service whatever it is called.

You only have to look at that "cartoon docu-soap" about Postman Pat from a few years ago to see the writing was on the wall back then.

To see what an easy life these "posties" have and therefore see there are problems.

Black and white cat? Kin' racist and a foul mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4Is0GQ9OQ

Warning the above contains profanities and cat abuse