Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

On 7/6/2022 at 1:41 PM, Kipper99 said:

I predict foot in mouth syndrome and something being said, posted or tweeted by Stu that’s insensitive, offensive and trolling of the workforce.

The whole place will then go on strike.

Give him two months. 

8 months and counting. Feel free to admit your mistake.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

8 months and counting. Feel free to admit your mistake.

so what's the story with post office staff being told they can't take their post office savings out as cash anymore and they have to use them as credit against things ?

OK, as the original poster of the 7p extra postage thing which turned into £1.42 which is bad enough in itself,I also wished to draw attention to the way that the Island has changed in the way it’s citizens have been impacted in the way of  increased bureaucracy. 

Coming from the UK forty years ago it was a breath of fresh air to come here where life just seemed to be, if you like. more principle based than rule based. I don’t believe the 7p thing would have happened those 4O years ago.

And pubs were open all day instead of having to close at 3 pm and reopen at 6!

Ok, the island now is subject to more external forces from the UK,  international world. Not always a bad thing, for example ID rules when opening a bank account par example but by and large things seemed much more relaxed when going about your daily business. Even then you could talk to real people rather than some automated press x for this telephone automated system

Perhaps I am looking at things through retrospective rose tinted glasses.

Be interested to read any comments.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Coming from the UK forty years ago it was a breath of fresh air to come here where life just seemed to be, if you like. more principle based than rule based.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

One positive outcome from this change to a rule-based approach is that Foxdale residents can no longer marry their sister/mum. 

The downside of that is they can't film the sequel to the Hills Have Eyes there anymore.

The_Hills_Have_Eyes_Cover.png

Just now, 0bserver said:

One positive outcome from this change to a rule-based approach is that Foxdale residents can no longer marry their sister/mum. 

The downside of that is they can't film the sequel to the Hills Have Eyes there anymore.

The_Hills_Have_Eyes_Cover.png

Not quite the type of considered response I was hoping for.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK, as the original poster of the 7p extra postage thing which turned into £1.42 which is bad enough in itself,I also wished to draw attention to the way that the Island has changed in the way it’s citizens have been impacted in the way of  increased bureaucracy. 

Coming from the UK forty years ago it was a breath of fresh air to come here where life just seemed to be, if you like. more principle based than rule based. I don’t believe the 7p thing would have happened those 4O years ago.

Ok, the island now is subject to more external forces from the UK,  international world. Not always a bad thing, for example ID rules when opening a bank account par example but by and large things seemed much more relaxed when going about your daily business. Even then you could talk to real people rather than some automated press x for this telephone automated system

We've got to keep umpteen thousand pencil head in gainful employment somehow!

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

About 40 years ago we took in a load of moaning english, and then added more. The result is...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 2/11/2023 at 11:27 PM, CallMeCurious said:

It is a dying legacy of the 20th century that no-one has had the guts to put out of its misery. I imagine anyone under the age of 20 has never sent an actual letter.

My five year old grandson writes a letter to each and every person he receives a gift from (apart from mum and dad). His two year old brother "signs" a letter written by his mum and will be writing his own letters as soon as he is able. They love popping their letters into the post box.

They also really get a kick out of receiving their own cards and letters, so I send them something through the post now and then to help keep their interest, even though I only live a few streets away.

Maybe if more parents were instilling this simple courtesy in their children, the post office would have a bit more income. It also helps to give them an interest in reading and writing, something so very important for children today, particularly for boys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Demographics, a census or two ago more residents born off island than on it, so a cultural shift along with satellite offices of UK and international banking etc. As well as importing drugs and the trouble that inevitably follows.

Also rules rarely die, so as soon as someone finds a way around a law or rule, more rules have to be added ad hoc to support it. Keep that up for a while and you end up with things like the labyrinthine tax rules we have.

So everyone has to fill in more and more forms. Very often very poorly designed forms at that.

Finally, bearcats are risk averse. Harder and harder to let things slip if the system you work in penalise or won't allow the least bit of initiative, compassion or discretion. All with the potential of an FOI if you upset the wrong person.

Eventually it wil collapse under its own weight like a beached whale. Look at the NHS and all the initiatives and stop gap measures. Only once it has utterly failed and the terrible consequences that follow will wise heads be able to make a clean start. This all happens over decades and not years, things like Covid only exposed a bit more of it.

It seems truer than ever that the last people you want in charge are the very people that want to be in charge. Ambition without the ability. You only have to listen to the incoherent politspeak and platitudes at every level of government. Why use five words when you can throw fifty at it. Because talk is cheap and action requires real study, work* and understanding *Most often against the status quo.  

And finally, as we get older we learn to see it and navigate it, we recognise it in all its guises. A world of cotton wool and red tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2