Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Anyone ever seen this thing work? 

IMG_4766.jpeg

Ashford submitted a whole range of  Written Questions about these back in may.  One of them asked how often each of them had been out of service for the last 18 months and received a list, but I couldn't help noticing that the ones longest out of service were the Sea Terminal, POHQ and Strand Street ones - the ones where PO management were most likely to notice them.  So the real answer is probably a lot - and no one else cares.

We also found out how much each of them cost[1], between £7,467.21 and £11,715.39 each, and maintenance costs.  What he didn't ask was how much business had been done through each. 

[1]  Ashford thought there were 9 but there's 11 listed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So....the hot, unconfirmed rumour now is that IoM Post have now lost their lucrative contract to deliver Parcelforce items on the Island.

The contract has reportedly been given to, and accepted by, Manx Independent Carriers who had previously agreed to partner with IoMP for delivery of IoMP's bulk mail around the Island, therefore something of a stab in the back. This will not result in cheaper postal charges for Parcelforce customers either, apparently.

If all true, whoever made the arrangement for IoMP to "partner" with a direct competitor organisation needs to be walking, there has been more damage done to the PO in the past 4 years than ever before by the current hierachy who can't even retain existing business, let alone attract new.

• Like 1

A disallusioned postman told me a couple of years ago that there were about two managers to each postman whether the situation has changed I do not know but apparently the service has been top heavy with management for years.     When online shopping became popular the Post Office had the perfect opportunity to capture all or most of the new business, they were all set up for it but they were not proactive and other people were.    My letter post, mostly circulars, is delivered by a very cheerful postman in a lovely new van now the van stops at every house it has mail for I thought it perhaps was a temporary measure but no this has been going on for a while now, a separate van delivers parcels.   Going green 🤣  ?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

A disallusioned postman told me a couple of years ago that there were about two managers to each postman whether the situation has changed I do not know but apparently the service has been top heavy with management for years.     When online shopping became popular the Post Office had the perfect opportunity to capture all or most of the new business, they were all set up for it but they were not proactive and other people were.    My letter post, mostly circulars, is delivered by a very cheerful postman in a lovely new van now the van stops at every house it has mail for I thought it perhaps was a temporary measure but no this has been going on for a while now, a separate van delivers parcels.   Going green 🤣  ?

"Project Managers" apparently are the new craze within the PO, a veritable bevy of them by all accounts. Perhaps one of them could undertake a project to look at the existing executive and management structure with a view to determining suitability and necessity for post.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

So....the hot, unconfirmed rumour now is that IoM Post have now lost their lucrative contract to deliver Parcelforce items on the Island.

The contract has reportedly been given to, and accepted by, Manx Independent Carriers who had previously agreed to partner with IoMP for delivery of IoMP's bulk mail around the Island, therefore something of a stab in the back. This will not result in cheaper postal charges for Parcelforce customers either, apparently.

If all true, whoever made the arrangement for IoMP to "partner" with a direct competitor organisation needs to be walking, there has been more damage done to the PO in the past 4 years than ever before by the current hierachy who can't even retain existing business, let alone attract new.

so now if you want to send something parcelfarce do you have to go to snugborough to do the paperwork ???  or will post offices still do that??

I'm sure the chairman of IOMPO will be all over this, working hard with the CEO, board members and PO management to come up with a solution and will definitely not just shrug and say 'that's the market, its a commercial decision by a UK operator, there's nothing we can do'. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm sure the chairman of IOMPO will be all over this, working hard with the CEO, board members and PO management to come up with a solution and will definitely not just shrug and say 'that's the market, its a commercial decision by a UK operator, there's nothing we can do'. 

And any reduction in service is actually an improvement for mail customers.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

there is a reason perhaps why Alf put a complete numbskull in there with no business acumen or backbone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

"Project Managers" apparently are the new craze within the PO, a veritable bevy of them by all accounts. Perhaps one of them could undertake a project to look at the existing executive and management structure with a view to determining suitability and necessity for post.

spacer.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

spacer.png

This matches my experience of the DOT about 15 years ago.

They were told they had to become "Commercial" and all of a sudden the peeps you dealt with were wearing shirts, red braces (No kidding) and saying they would "Give you a price"

Most of the good guys then retired and you got ex-digger drivers (Nothing wrong with that if they are intelligent but years served does not count to me)  near the top of the pile because they had been there years.

I don't see any difference now from what mates tell me.