Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

The IoM may be different but surely there has to be an accountable "individual"?

In the UK, individuals were "accountable" in the recent jailed Postmasters and Postmistresses scandal? That couldn't have happened if they were companies?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I mean that the PO would not have to pay a salary?

Do they have to pay a salary, or can they pay a contract fee which is permissable under the section I referred to above?

There may have been procedures relating to sub posties, but I have not been able to find them, nor find anything that says they were irrevocably binding on the PO.  That is not to say they don't, or didn't exist, just that if you go to the main legislation, there appears nothing to stop them engaging a company to provide PO services. 

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

The IoM may be different but surely there has to be an accountable "individual"?

In the UK, individuals were "accountable" in the recent jailed Postmasters and Postmistresses scandal? That couldn't have happened if they were companies?

If they were acting criminally, then a company being involved would make no difference, surely? That all turned out well in the UK. 

Like I have said, I can't find anything which says that there can only be a contract with an individual,  or that there must be a nominated individual if it is a company, nor that there isn't one who carries the can for the Strand Street office. It may be a contract term, or it may not be, but I cannot see anything that stops the PO from contracting with a company to provide those services.  

Happy to be corrected if someone can provide a link. But it also occurs to me that having a right to go against H&B for any losses may be a safer bet than a right to go after an individual.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But a company  as a legal entity cannot be the licensee of a public house. It has to be a personal licensee.

Not sure if that is the case with post offices. 

Google could probably provide an answer.

Yes, a company can be a licensee acting through a designated official.

So can a sub post master.

The Interpretation Act says

35 References to “person” generally
(1) An expression used to denote persons generally includes a reference to a body (whether corporate or not) as well as to an individual.36
Example:
“Person”, “anyone else”, “party”, “someone else”, “no-one”, “another”, “whoever” and “employer” are references to a person generally.
(2) Subsection (1) is not displaced only because there is an express reference to an individual or corporation elsewhere in the Manx legislation.
Examples:
1. “Body corporate” and “company” are express references to a corporation.
2. “Adult”, “child”, “spouse” and “driver” are express references to an individual.

50 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, a company can be a licensee acting through a designated official.

So can a sub post master.

The Interpretation Act says

35 References to “person” generally
(1) An expression used to denote persons generally includes a reference to a body (whether corporate or not) as well as to an individual.36
Example:
“Person”, “anyone else”, “party”, “someone else”, “no-one”, “another”, “whoever” and “employer” are references to a person generally.
(2) Subsection (1) is not displaced only because there is an express reference to an individual or corporation elsewhere in the Manx legislation.
Examples:
1. “Body corporate” and “company” are express references to a corporation.
2. “Adult”, “child”, “spouse” and “driver” are express references to an individual.

Ok thanks John

22 minutes ago, Katman said:

Get them to bring in a 2nd Class postal service for parcels, small businesses who sell stuff off Island are paying way over the top for postage compared to competitors in the UK.

I’d just be happy with a cheaper tracked service and the option to print postage labels off at home like they can in the UK.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’d just be happy with a cheaper tracked service and the option to print postage labels off at home like they can in the UK.

You are forgetting that having pissed off people in a long queue whilst they sort out MiCard payments is an important part of benefit shaming.

Edited by HiVibes

50 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You are forgetting that having pissed off people in a long queue whilst they sort out MiCard payments is an important part of benefit shaming.

Who feels ashamed collecting old age pension via micard, my mother doesn’t. The queue is because everyone turns up at same time & day & has a bit of a chat!!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I’d say I feel more guilty for rocking up with 20 parcels/packets keeping OAPs waiting in the queue.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

You can sort of do this, but you need an account with the Post Office, I print off address labels with the 'Postage Paid' stamp in the corner of the label. Once all packages done, I just enter everything into their Click & Dispatch system. It's a bit clunky, but it does work. Click & Dispatch will also allow direct printing of tracked labels through their system.

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But a company  as a legal entity cannot be the licensee of a public house. It has to be a personal licensee.

Not sure if that is the case with post offices. 

Google could probably provide an answer.

Not strictly true. 

A company can be the licensee although they then have to nominate designated officials although can have more than one.

13 minutes ago, Katman said:

You can sort of do this, but you need an account with the Post Office, I print off address labels with the 'Postage Paid' stamp in the corner of the label. Once all packages done, I just enter everything into their Click & Dispatch system. It's a bit clunky, but it does work. Click & Dispatch will also allow direct printing of tracked labels through their system.

I signed up for an account but it seemed to be targeted for business customers and I couldn’t see how to proceed?