Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Would you have sent a text in such circumstances?

No: I would always write a letter or send a card for this purpose.

I have received both (post and text/email) in these circumstances and I know which meant more to me at the time.

Edited by Jarndyce
Elaboration
  • Like 1

The IoM Post Office is a Statutory Board, Public Sector operation that up until the recent past has posted considerable annual losses, albeit that this has not been aided by having to hand over £1M+ to Treasury every year, a condition that has been recently rescinded because of the circumstances. It has now been tasked with becoming a profitable organisation.

In the name of this, it has decided to reinvent itself as a "business" rather than a "public service".

The Post Office has a typically huge Manx PS management structure, certainly far in excess of anything to be found in a private sector business, with people employed for all sorts of reasons and connections. This body is charged with turning the PO around, although it could be argued that it has little commercial business experience.

As such its immediate moves are to seek new business ventures which the PO may be ill-equipped to undertake, continually raise prices, cut services to the public and cut pay terms and conditions to the coalface floorstaff and posties to include recruitment under ZHC and to continue to do all this for as long as it takes to become a "profitable business". This includes letters becoming second priority to the parcel service.

Naturally however the only thing that must remain unscathed and unaddressed must be the aforementioned huge management structure which will continue to enjoy the generous terms it has done for so long.

Chances of the PO being successful in its task?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Post Office has a typically huge Manx PS management structure, certainly far in excess of anything to be found in a private sector business, with people employed for all sorts of reasons and connections.

Presumably then you have their org chart.

Care to share?

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You paint a joyless scenario devoid of human interaction 

I would rather be doing joyful things with my time, like playing sport or going to an art class, the fact you consider being stuck in a queue behind bankers mum moaning about the same shit week in week out as a joyful shows a real lack on your part.

As per it's all down to personal choice.

I use email simply for it's convenience.

But I would never send an e-card for any purpose because I think it's just lazy. We get a couple of e-cards at xmas and we view them as an appallingly naff cop-out. Posting a tasteful card takes time and effort which is always appreciated by the recipient.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I would rather be doing joyful things with my time, like playing sport or going to an art class, the fact you consider being stuck in a queue behind bankers mum moaning about the same shit week in week out as a joyful shows a real lack on your part.

Well maybe I could engage with bankers mum whilst queuing and we could have an enjoyable conversation. Perhaps even learn a few things from each other.

If you restrict yourself to those activities that you believe optimise your time, rather than taking part in society as a whole you may be missing out on some wonderful life experiences.

Sometimes the best things happen when you least expect it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But I’m not of the younger generation.

i am from a generation who appreciates the care and time taken to compose a handwritten note.

yes I am aware of, and use, text and emails but dependent on content a letter is sometimes more appropriate.

So you expect Saturday deliveries because there are a few oldies who still send the occasional letter?  I dread to think how much of a money that would cost in order to pander to a declining group of people.

I do use the postal service to send cards for significant events such as weddings, bereavements, Christmas and significant birthdays but otherwise I will stay in contact with all my friends via a phone call or whatsapp message.  It is quicker and more convenient than sending a handwritten note.

There is also a significant number of people who no longer send cards simply because of the impact they have on the environment.  If you think about it they really are a waste of paper/card as they simply sit on a mantlepiece/windowsill or shelf for a short period before being binned.

And I am sorry to say that your carefully composed handwritten note is also destined for the bin...

15 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

So you expect Saturday deliveries because there are a few oldies who still send the occasional letter?  I dread to think how much of a money that would cost in order to pander to a declining group of people.

I do use the postal service to send cards for significant events such as weddings, bereavements, Christmas and significant birthdays but otherwise I will stay in contact with all my friends via a phone call or whatsapp message.  It is quicker and more convenient than sending a handwritten note.

There is also a significant number of people who no longer send cards simply because of the impact they have on the environment.  If you think about it they really are a waste of paper/card as they simply sit on a mantlepiece/windowsill or shelf for a short period before being binned.

And I am sorry to say that your carefully composed handwritten note is also destined for the bin...

Seriously, what impact does sending a card have on the environment? It's more to do with the cost of post and more recently the number that goes missing/gets damaged/delivered late. As an instance, my wife posted a birthday card to our grandson last Tuesday from Ramsey. It had to travel all the way to Douglas and finally arrived on the Monday morning

8 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Seriously, what impact does sending a card have on the environment? It's more to do with the cost of post and more recently the number that goes missing/gets damaged/delivered late. As an instance, my wife posted a birthday card to our grandson last Tuesday from Ramsey. It had to travel all the way to Douglas and finally arrived on the Monday morning

It is not just the posting of the card that causes the environmental impact.  It is the amount of trees that are cut down each year, plus the energy used in manufacturing the cards and subsequent distribution to retailers that has an environmental impact.  

All that for a small card that will be binned after a short period of time (it might get recycled).  

That is, of course, ignoring the delivery of that card in vans etc used by the post office.

Comparatively an e-card has a much smaller carbon footprint.

If I were the recipient of such a text I would find it disrespectful.

Such messages do not need to be immediate and should be considered not necessarily be instant.

Its as if you can’t be arsed and want to avoid the cost of a stamp

I am only assuming that we are indeed from two different generations so that is quite interesting.

The last thing I would wish for in a time of bereavement is letters arriving etc.

A text/whatsapp/or similar would more than suffice. 

I have an aunt who picked up on this txting years ago and uses it for everything. No matter what the occasion - funeral, wedding, Christmas, etc - she always signs off LOL which she insists means 'lots of love'.

Edited by AOR
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

She’s right.

My auntie is always right.

Even when she knows she is wrong. She won't budge, and even for condolences when someone has died for example, she insists on throwing the LOL in at the end of her message, as if to enforce her campaign that she knows best.

Actually, you know, I've been watching you TVoR. I think there is a possibility you are my Auntie.

(LOL)

7 minutes ago, AOR said:

My auntie is always right.

Even when she knows she is wrong. She won't budge, and even for condolences when someone has died for example, she insists on throwing the LOL in at the end of her message, as if to enforce her campaign that she knows best.

Actually, you know, I've been watching you TVoR. I think there is a possibility you are my Auntie.

(LOL)

does that stand for Lovely Old Lady...