Stu Peters for Chair of Post Office

Manx Bean

10 minutes ago, AOR said:

My auntie is always right.

Even when she knows she is wrong. She won't budge, and even for condolences when someone has died for example, she insists on throwing the LOL in at the end of her message, as if to enforce her campaign that she knows best.

Actually, you know, I've been watching you TVoR. I think there is a possibility you are my Auntie.

(LOL)

ROLF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

So you expect Saturday deliveries because there are a few oldies who still send the occasional letter?  I dread to think how much of a money that would cost in order to pander to a declining group of people.

Well it’s not just this group. And it’s not “pandering “ it’s providing a service. Is having pharmacies open on a Saturday or Sunday “pandering “ to people?

All ages need different types of correspondence. You may be waiting on your car tax disc to arrive. Legal documents to be signed etc etc. Results of job applications, eagerly awaited qualification certificates. Typically the sort of stuff that can’t or wouldn’t normally be e mailed. 

Taking this to its logical conclusion we could save money by restricting deliveries to just one or two days a week

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it’s not just this group. And it’s not “pandering “ it’s providing a service. Is having pharmacies open on a Saturday or Sunday “pandering “ to people?

Phamacies provide a medical service which is required every day, post delivery is at most required twice a week.

8 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Phamacies provide a medical service which is required every day, post delivery is at most required twice a week.

we used to get post once a week when I was in the army, didn't hurt us one bit. In fact it gave us something to look forward to

Just now, Passing Time said:

we used to get post once a week when I was in the army, didn't hurt us one bit. In fact it gave us something to look forward to

You were lucky.  In my day post was only delivered on the fourth Monday of the month, and if that happened to be a bank holiday, tough (etc. etc., you know the reference sketch)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Well you could starve yourself for days at a time. You would then look forward to the time when you broke your fast.

Or keep punching yourself for an hour looking forward to the time when the sixty minutes were up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

You were lucky.  In my day post was only delivered on the fourth Monday of the month, and if that happened to be a bank holiday, tough (etc. etc., you know the reference sketch)

They have new forms of transport forl Mail today. No longer do the use steamboats and horse drawn carriages.

32 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Pretty sure that they would stop opening on Saturdays or Sundays if it was unprofitable...

All ages need different types of correspondence. You may be waiting on your car tax disc to arrive. Legal documents to be signed etc etc. Results of job applications, eagerly awaited qualification certificates. Typically the sort of stuff that can’t or wouldn’t normally be e mailed. 

Sure but then the Isle of Man could catch up with the UK and remove the need to tax disc's and simply use ANPR to check vehicles.  Job applications and qualifications results are often communicated via email or online portals these days as well...

Taking this to its logical conclusion we could save money by restricting deliveries to just one or two days a week

Yes, we absolutely could.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Pretty sure that they would stop opening on Saturdays or Sundays if it was unprofitable...

Sure but then the Isle of Man could catch up with the UK and remove the need to tax disc's and simply use ANPR to check vehicles.  Job applications and qualifications results are often communicated via email or online portals these days as well...

Yes, we absolutely could.  

All the services the post office do outside of logistics should already be digital only, and the logistics needs massively streamlined. 

A few weeks ago I received parcels from MIC + DHL + Evri + IOM Post +  Parcelforce all in one day, they really should sort out that last mile delivery and have a unified service, so much needless waste.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You may be waiting on your car tax disc to arrive

Don't think cars have tax discs anymore do they? Not in UK anyhow.

Results of job applications.

It's 2022... this is not a thing anymore.

Legal documents to be signed.

More and more companies are doing e-signing, this will be a thing of the past in 5-10 years. Source - all our contracts we send out are e-sign only. 

The post service is only good for delivering parcels and stuff now - about 95% of any letters I receive are junk. 

Edited by Manxweegie
Spelling.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you could starve yourself for days at a time. You would then look forward to the time when you broke your fast.

Or keep punching yourself for an hour looking forward to the time when the sixty minutes were up.

You're a strange bod aren't you...

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You're a strange bod aren't you...

Well I don’t think so. But I would say that.

I think it’s strange to welcome something to your detriment, be that non receipt of post, feelings of hunger or pain because eventually that will cease,is quite strange in itself.

Edited by The Voice of Reason